Joust
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Columbia
State: SC

New Member - New Truck (D400) Several questions

Post by Joust »

Hello -

I'm the new guy! I've just purchased a D400 truck and have several questions.

But first - the description of my truck. It is a white 1960(?) D400 with a 14' dump bed everything works well except the brakes - which don't function at all.

First question: how can I confirm the year of the truck? The data plate on the cab doesn't specify the year - not even in the VIN. It only translate to v8 d400 6.2 axle - and then the serial number of the truck. Is there is a data plate somewhere other than the cab of the truck? Does it matter? There seems to be precious little specific information about d400 production years - and I do need to register the truck.

I'll try to post a picture or several of the truck. It's the four-headlight aluminum grill, 5-lug pattern model that was one of the earlier ones. It's a 318, 4+2 truck. Runs great. Drives great. No brakes.

I also notice the front axle is rated very - woefully - low in capacity. Is there a common modern swap? I was thinking like an F-450 or 550 axle or something. That would give access to a 10-lug, disc brakes, 7,000lb axle - rather than the drums and a 5-lug 2,000 lb axle.

I plan to get tubeless wheels and tires (it looks like they're just normal dayton-style) for the back and continue to use the drums and two-speed axle in the back.

My next question - are the cabs the same as d100 cabs? specifically, I'm looking for a lock and ignition set. I want them all keyed the same - there's tons of d100 stuff, and very precious little d400 stuff.

Any advice is appreciated.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: New Member - New Truck (D400) Several questions

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The serial number decodes to give the yr of the truck. http://www.sweptline.org/SweptlineRegistry/index.php
Sweptlines started in 61, so its definitely not a 60.
100/200 cabs are the same. 300-800 cabs are the same. Locks, doors, windows, seats and most everything except fenders are the same on all models. No truck came with doors and ignition locks matching. You need to have them keyed alike at a locksmith.
Nobody swaps things on D400's so you're on your own with the front axle. The FSM shows ALL D400's with a 4000# front axle. Maybe you are reading the spring capacity on the plate? I parted out a D400 yrs ago that had a brand new brake job done on it, including drums. Sold the fronts, but still have the rear drums and backing plates with new cylinders, shoes, springs, etc, available if you need them.

Joust
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Joust »

Thanks for the information.

Yes, it is a 4,000 lb front axle. I mistakenly wrote 2,000.

It decoded as 1960. I'm trying to find an image hosting service so I can post pictures. I don't maintain imagine hosting normally so, meh. They are incoming, however, I'm just slow.

I can understand why it's the red-headed step child, but it was a cool truck to save from being chopped up at the time. So I thought, anyways.

We might be able to do business on the brakes - but I've gotta see what's up with the whole system first. It's just so miserably cold I don't want to. In the interest of disclosure - I'm definitely way more familiar with vintage and modern Ford and GM platforms. This is my first Chrysler product. I know I appear like a helpless fawn in the woods at the moment - not the case, but there is shockingly little information available specific to D400's.

Joust
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Joust »

http://imgur.com/gallery/TjlZZsT

Sorry - I don't know how to embed the image. But there's a picture of the truck.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

Joust wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Sorry - I don't know how to embed the image. But there's a picture of the truck.
That solves one riddle: It's cool and probably is a 1960 truck, but it's not a Sweptline body.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Joust
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Joust »

Wildergarten wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:39 pm
Joust wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:58 pm

That solves one riddle: It's cool and probably is a 1960 truck, but it's not a Sweptline body.
Yes - maybe I'm in the wrong forum. Like I said - there's so very little information specific to these trucks, it's hard to find any kind of source of information. If anyone would like to take pity and spread some wisdom my way, it would be appreciated.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

https://www.townwagon.com/powergiantregistry/index.php

Is this where you decoded the VIN?

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Joust
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Joust »

712edf wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:27 pm
https://www.townwagon.com/powergiantregistry/index.php

Is this where you decoded the VIN?

Bucky
Yes.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

A 60 D400 truck would be a Power Giant. I have no idea if they use the same brake parts as the Sweptline era.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Nice looking Power Giant. :Thumbsup

John

Joust
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Joust »

Thanks, guys.

Step 1 - something was damaged in transport home. Gotta figure that out and repair it.

Step 2 - get the brakes sorted. I know the booster is dead. I'll check the rest while I'm at it - probably could use new lines, master cylinder, etc. I'm hoping the brake components are serviceable.

Step 3 - Dayton style wheels and tubeless tires will fit the back. I've got to see what's up with these front wheels. Maybe Budd's? 5 huge lugs, but I haven't measured. They have 8.25x20 tires. If they aren't serviceable, I'll need to find some blanks to have my hole pattern cut or have an adapter milled. I've become disenchanted with replacing the front axle if I don't absolutely have to. If anyone has input, I would really like to hear it on sourcing front wheels.

Distant step 4 - new seals and weatherstripping, body work etc.

I have a '65 Econoline Mystery Machine project I'm working on as well, it's getting a 6.0 LS swap (lq9, for those curious, mated to a 4l65). It's ready to be debadged, stripped, patched, filled, and painted. So my time is kind of split.

And you know. Work. Making sure the lights stay on. I like to eat from time-to-time as well. Little stuff like that.

I don't mean to post too much - but it's my first Dodge truck, and I'm excited to get it under way. Also, there's so little information available - anything is helpful.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

Joust wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:57 am
I plan to get tubeless wheels and tires (it looks like they're just normal dayton-style) for the back and continue to use the drums and two-speed axle in the back.
What is a Dayton style wheel and why are you planning to get rid of them? Is there something wrong with them? Are they splits?
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Joust
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Joust »

Wildergarten wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:17 am
Joust wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:57 am
What is a Dayton style wheel and why are you planning to get rid of them? Is there something wrong with them? Are they splits?
It's the open center style wheel that is rim-mounted to a hub.

I don't know.if anything is wrong with them as such, but they are two piece split rims, yes.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

Thanks. I take it the running boards are missing? Those will be hard to find or replicate.

Nice looking truck though, but then I'm a sucker for flat beds.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Joust
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Joust »

Wildergarten wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:49 am
Thanks. I take it the running boards are missing? Those will be hard to find or replicate.

Nice looking truck though, but then I'm a sucker for flat beds.
Yep. No running boards. I'll figure out something once I get the final ride height and all that squared away. It'll be good.

https://imgur.com/gallery/mClY60u

Here's a few more pictures.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

Yes those front wheels are 5 lug Budd type. 6 lug was much more common. If you want to switch from split-ring to solid your best bet may be 1970's era motor homes. Some of them have 5 lug Budd 20" solid one piece rims.

Your current wheels are fine (assuming no rust/damage), but can be dangerous if you go to dismount the tires then remount. These are tube type, with flaps. Your local tire store won't have anything for them & likely couldn't work on them anyways. These need to be taken to a "big rig" or farm implement tire dealer for servicing and should be inflated only in a safety cage. Expensive too.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

Also your driver's side lug nuts possibly are left hand thread. Look for an "L" stamped in the center of the end of the lug stud.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Joust
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Joust »

I will check for reverse thread. One of the front wheels has damage - like someone cut 1/2" into it for some reason. All the tires are bad and need to be replaced. They hold air, but are all dry rotten. I'd as soon try to make everything modern and safe while I'm at it.

Are all Budd's 5 lug the same pattern?

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

Joust wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:44 pm
I will check for reverse thread. One of the front wheels has damage - like someone cut 1/2" into it for some reason. All the tires are bad and need to be replaced. They hold air, but are all dry rotten. I'd as soon try to make everything modern and safe while I'm at it.

BTW, from what I've seen, left handed lugs are both hard to come by and easily damaged by clueless "technicians". If you get in there, you might wish to change those out with the hubs.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Joust
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Joust »

Wildergarten wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:27 pm
Joust wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:44 pm

BTW, from what I've seen, left handed lugs are both hard to come by and easily damaged by clueless "technicians". If you get in there, you might wish to change those out with the hubs.
If I knew of a hub that would fit. I haven't seen such a thing even mentioned anywhere.