**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Small rear window gasket install

Post by my5thmopar »

I'm putting the rear glass back in tomorrow and need some suggestions. First of all I have the one piece gasket. I tried to put it on the cab per the FSM and I don't think that method is going to work. I'm going the put it on the glass first method. Any suggestions other than don't drop it. :banghead

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Re: Small rear window gasket install

Post by kurt »

Its best to do it when its really hot out. It took me a long time to get mine rubber on the glass. Do it in a heated shop or aim a shop heater at it while your working. I put it on the glass first then used popsicle sticks to work it into the truck. I used a small box wrench and some more craft sticks to get the lock strip in. Lots of soap water is required too. If you buy the right tools its probably easier. Lock strip tool and I am not sure what the replacements for popsicle stick is called but they are plastic and must work better.

BTW I did the windshield after the back window and it was a piece of cake. The rear was a SOB.
1965 D200 Crew 5.9L MPFI/A518

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

I have installed the large windows in the Sweptys before and it takes patience. The plastic glass tool helps :Thumbsup as it will not chip glass like a screwdriver or break :shame like poopsicle sticks. :banghead

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

Temperature is important when it comes to working with the gasket material. It needs to be kept at about 75 or warmer to work with. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by my5thmopar »

Well :banghead I was unsuccessful today getting the gasket in. I got it on the glass after soaking it in hot water. The issue I'm having is the glass wants to roll out of the gasket or I get top in and the bottom wont go in. I'm going to do some searching tonight and see if I can find some more suggestions. I'm going to get a helper because I was worried the entire time that the glass would pop out.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by kurt »

It took me a whole day to get the gasket on the glass and hours to get it in the truck. Your on track. It's probably too cold to do it.
1965 D200 Crew 5.9L MPFI/A518

BigG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Galt
State: CA

Post by BigG »

Windex spray on the gasket (rubber) helps a lot and dries clear

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Small rear window gasket install Done!

Post by my5thmopar »

It is done!!!! :lol: :dance . Thanks to kurt about the box in wrench for the lock strip. :Thumbsup I used an 8mm and it slid right in. Corners were tough. I watched a couple of videos on youtube. I tried the rope trick yesterday from the top but, I was on the outside. I already got the gasket on the window yesterday by soaking it in hot tap water. Soaped it up with Dawn. Shop is heated and 500 watt spot lamps keep everything including me toasty. Put gasket on two long corners and one short, stood it up while daughter held it and just pulled up over last corner. It went on surprisingly easy. Today I enlisted my 29 year old daughter, she owed my for helping get stuff from her storage unit. Of course it was the last tote in there. Anyway, I had her push in on the glass and I roped top down from the inside. No luck. I did it bottom up and the glass and gasket wanted to roll out. After the gasket was in I just pushed on the glass and it moved up and went right into place. I had to soap it down and worked center out to corners to get it coverage. I just used the rubber handle on a hammer. Like a rubber or plastic hammer. Thanks guys.
Attachments
IMG_0673.jpg