Total votes: 61

74dusterman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cushing
State: MN

What to with my 67 D200 camper special?

Post by 74dusterman »

I have a 67 D200 camper special that has 46629 original miles on it. It has a 383 2bbl with 727 tranny. 3.54 gears. The paint is bad but the body is solid. It runs and drives awesome. The interior is in good shape except the seat would need to be completely redone. There are a few things that the previous owner changed that are not original like the rear bumper, topper, and the rims. It wouldn't be to hard to change back to stock. My original intention was to turn it into a street rod by building up the 383 with new performance parts internally and adding a 4bbl with headders and electronic ignition, lowering it a few inches and tubbing out the rearend, disc brake conversion in front, lower gears in the rear, aluminum radiator, rewiring the entire truck from bumper to bumper, bucket seats, and many other misc upgrades. Now I am having second thoughts after seeing the condition of the truck and the fact that it is mostly original. Are these trucks worth much in oroginal form or should I build it the way I want it? I wanted to see what everyone else would do. I also thought about selling it and buying another car to build (MOPAR that is). Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Attachments
truck3.jpg
truck.jpg

StinkFinger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: mission
State: Foreign

Re: What to with my 67 D200 camper special?

Post by StinkFinger »

ont clear over the "patina" it will look good for a year or so then flake and peeel an buble if any thing scuff / buff it then wax the crap out of it

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno
State: NV

Post by Oldguy »

:2cents Build what YOU want. It is your truck. And yes, do NOT clear over the patina. Mike

Duh
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Colo Spgs
State: CO

Post by Duh »

Sir

This past week you was only slightly over 2 hrs away from The Annual Walter P. Chrysler Restro Clubs Annual gathering which was
in Lake Elmo this year. There were folks from many parts of the world that would have been very happy to share information with
you about your question's.

They more you alter from a "Visual Stock" the lesser the value gets and the lesser the "Buyers Pool" gets. :study

The Rear Bumper is sort of "A Natural" with The Topper.

The Topper and Wheels is a OK to have era item. Tires to have are The Black Wall 235 x 75 x 15 Radial's.

If you have legs that are longer than 29 inches you can only use low back bucket seats for the top of the seat hits the rear window. Lower shirt
buttons and belts rub on the steering wheel. This also applies if you weight is above 150-140 pounds.

Rodger and Gabby
GibaGab@msn.com
COS

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Take this with a grain of salt folks... but since when did Rust turn into "patina"? You're putting the auto body shops out of business :lol: Seriously, IF it were a 1928 antique (fill in your favorite vehicle here) then I would say, keep it original. However... as 99% of you guys know, these trucks are only worth so much money and I can't see the point in leaving them... (dare I say it?) rusty. :lol:

Course... that is just my :2cents

Jim :salut

gearjammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: pittsfield
State: MA

Post by gearjammer »

I like the rust. A complete NICE paint job on that truck would cost more than the truck would ever be worth. Take the cap off, get some cooler wheels, re-do the seat and interior, I guess you cold buff it, Black will look nice, rattle can some of the lower rust ... It took 40 years to get the way it is...it won't change much over the next ten.