**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gifford
State: WA

5-Speed Transmision Options

Post by RAYMAN »

Im working on the first swepty i have ever owned, getting it back on the road and fixing my teen newby problems fixed. I now own many sweptys and have alot more knoledge of how the work. This truck is a 1968 D-100 With a 1970 cab that i adapted the hydrolic clutch to with the old style wireing. It has the original 225 and three speed with a floor shifter, Im wondering if there is a five speed trans from a newer car or truck that will fit in there. I also would like to keep with the hydrolic clutch if i can. A freind of mine thought a mid 90's dakota trans might work but i dont know. Has anyone done this or am i dreaming? Thanks for reading.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: 5-Speed Transmision Options

Post by digdoug »

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RAYMAN »

Thank you DIGDOUG that is some good info, but i was trying to find something with maybe an aluminum case. Hopefully a little lighter than the castiron trans. I was wondering about like a 2000 V-8 dakota ot durango fo a doner. Im trying to make a cruiser with a hoped up 225 six for the power plant.

EarlKann
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Post by EarlKann »

Don't think that I've ever seen a 5speed behind a /6. Not that it doesn't exist, but if it isn't common, it's probably expensive.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

RAYMAN wrote:....Im trying to make a cruiser with a hoped up 225 six for the power plant.
"hoped"?
U mean like: u really hoped a /6 could be hopped up when u were done?.... :lol:

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29714&p=214342&hil ... al#p214342
fyi :salut

not sure if it will bolt to a /6 bell.h.

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RAYMAN »

OK so i cant spell! :lol: My six is is bored 60 over with a big cam and a 600cfm holley, so its a little hopped up. The bellhousing in the truck was on a 318 before i put it inn my truck. The one on my six had a large crack in it.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

RAYMAN wrote:OK so i cant spell! :lol:
Never stop trying or learning.
Better to be educated with no teeth than an imbecile with good teeth.

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RAYMAN »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
RAYMAN wrote:OK so i cant spell! :lol:
Never stop trying or learning.
Better to be educated with no teeth than an imbecile with good teeth.
That is very true, the day you stop learning is the day they put dirt in you face. :study Im just hoping i can find a light weight five speed that will fit that truck because the three speed just isnt cuting it. :lol:

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

RAYMAN wrote: the three speed just isnt cuting it. :lol:
[Whispering...]
Psssst..... Hey Rayman.... change that to "cutting" before Terry sees it! :lol: :lol:

The old hydraulic bell housing/cluth/flywheel set up doesn't lend itself to many
choices for a 4spd OD or 5spd set up. Do a search for Doug's big block 5spd
conversion [aka "Digdoug"], as it might give you some insight. :Thumbsup
Also, read the link he provided in his post above..... Good stuff there. :2cents :Thumbsup
John

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Hobcobble wrote:
RAYMAN wrote: the three speed just isnt cuting it. :lol:
[Whispering...]
Psssst..... Hey Rayman.... change that to "cutting" before Terry sees it! :lol: :lol:
John
I saw it last night, gave him a free pass...this time.
But he is right, the 3 speed is not very cute.... :lol:

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RAYMAN »

Ok the joke is on me. :lol: My hands wont type as fast as my brain moves. A freind of my dad was thinking a toyota 5 speed might fit but i dont think that it would be big enough?

countrycorby
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Clarksville
State: AR

Post by countrycorby »

I had a friend, who has since passed, that put a built 340 in a 93 or 94 Dakota that had a 5-speed. The Dakota had the 6 cylinder in it originally. He drove that thing around for a couple months like that. He wasn't easy on it either - when he would get on it from a stand still , it wouldn't get traction til 3rd gear. I'm sure the tranny wouldn't have held up much longer than it did....in fact he was probably lucky it lasted as long as it did. Knowing that, I don't see why it would hold up to a hopped /6 ..... :2cents
- Mike

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RAYMAN »

countrycorby wrote:I had a friend, who has since passed, that put a built 340 in a 93 or 94 Dakota that had a 5-speed. The Dakota had the 6 cylinder in it originally. He drove that thing around for a couple months like that. He wasn't easy on it either - when he would get on it from a stand still , it wouldn't get traction til 3rd gear. I'm sure the tranny wouldn't have held up much longer than it did....in fact he was probably lucky it lasted as long as it did. Knowing that, I don't see why it would hold up to a hopped /6 ..... :2cents
- Mike
I see your point but im not doin burnouts with it, its just a cruiser so the dakota trans might work.

twostick
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Roebuck On

Post by twostick »

You won't find a 5 spd to bolt to your slant unless you maybe adapt a T5 to your bellhousing. I'm thinking the input shaft will come up too short tho. You could go with an 833 4spd OD from a mid 80's D100. You will either have to mod your bell to accept the trans or if you get the slant bell with the trans, you will have to adapt your hydraulic linkage to it.

If you want to swap in a 318 then your options open up as you could go with an NV3500 from a Dakota or an NV4500 from a Ram.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

twostick wrote:You won't find a 5 spd to bolt to your slant unless you maybe adapt a T5 to your bellhousing. I'm thinking the input shaft will come up too short tho. You could go with an 833 4spd OD from a mid 80's D100. You will either have to mod your bell to accept the trans or if you get the slant bell with the trans, you will have to adapt your hydraulic linkage to it.

If you want to swap in a 318 then your options open up as you could go with an NV3500 from a Dakota or an NV4500 from a Ram.
It seems to me there was an adapter on pre 69 slant 6s so they would bolt to the same 727 auto as the 318 trucks. If the NV3500/4500 will bolt up to the 318, couldn't this adapter be used to bolt the NV3500/4500 to the slant 6?

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RAYMAN »

I would rather keep the 225 six in the truck its one of the only original parts on it. The bell housing i have on the engine in the truck now has had a 318la on it so from what ive found i could most likely use the nv4500 or the 3500. I noticed someone said something about an adapter, were do i get one of those, or do i have to make one?

twostick
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Roebuck On

Post by twostick »

If your bell has been bolted to a 318, you must already have the adapter because a V8 bell won't fit a slant. Adapter would be bolted to the engine. I know they made them to put an auto behind a slant as they didn't make a slant dedicated push button 727 bell. Perhaps they did the same for manuals too.

If this is what you have you might very well be able to bolt an NV3500 to your slant.

Kevin

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

I removed a slant six and bolted a la 318 directly to the same hydralic bell with no adapter.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

The bell housing is the same for the( '61??,'62-'68 ) /6, a318 & la318 and will accept the a745,np420,np435 w/o mods. not sure about later model manual trans.( Dakota/others) bolt pattern & input shaft issues. I have a 904 auto out of a '90 ram...it matches up to my 318, so I assume it will attach to the /6 but not sure if there is an adaptor ?? Chris.