Radio and A/C Control Removal From Dash on 71

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Radio and A/C Control Removal From Dash on 71

Post by nfury8 »

I am trying to remove these from the truck to replace them, but the manual is sketchy. It talks like I just reach under and unhook them. But there is a bunch of duct work in the way. How big of a can of worms am I opening here?

From looking at the manual there are some nuts on top of the controls and radio bezel that look hard to get to. However, my truck is a little different than the setup in the manual, there is a metal plate that mounts to the dash and then everything looks like it bolts to that.

I could sure use some pointers here!

oneowner71
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Fort Worth, TX

Post by oneowner71 »

Man, its been a long time since I removed the radio in mine, but it was pretty simple. I didn't have the AC ducting though, but that may be easy enough to get out of the way should you need to. As far as I know on the stock radios (is it still stock??) there was a bracket bolted to the bottom of the dash and to the back of the radio that had to be disconnected, then the radio can be unplugged from the harness and atenna removed, and then I think there is one large flat nut on each of the radio knobs on the front that need to come off, then the radio should slide out the back. It's been 8 or so years since I messed with it, but that strikes me as about it. I think the bezel just kind of bolts to the dash. Hope I helped more than I confused. Good luck.
Thanks, Clint
1971 D-100, 318 3-spd
1970 Dude, 383 / A727
1974 Challenger, 383/A727 (451 5-speed, someday)
1971 Plymouth Satellite,
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

After another look, it looks like the A/C evaporator migh tbe in the way. I know it is possible, the track has an AM/FM Cassette deck in it! Someone got in there. The A/C controls need replaces, the vaccum switched aren't working right. I am getting ready to convert it over to 134a. I also don't think the antenea is connected to the radio.