**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
cnd374
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: silverhill
State: AL

Thinking about a 65 crew cab w200

Post by cnd374 »

I am a new member to the forum but have been doing research on the site for a while. I really like the old crew cabs. I have found one but the body is basically shot. Bad case of rust. I would normally not consider buying one with so much cancer but the truck has already had a lot of the upgrades done to it. Front axle with disk brakes, powers steering, gear swap and a/c. It has a 383 in it. The truck has been sitting awhile so everything will have to be gone through. I guess my question is, if I buy this and start going through everything that is there, what are the odds of finding a decent cab later?

Thanks,

Carl

68dually
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: turbotville
State: PA

Re: Thinking about a 65 crew cab w200

Post by 68dually »

Finding a decent cab is always a challange but most likely you'll find one out west. The trouble is getting them back home. Post some pics and get some opinions on the cab you have.

:Thumbsup Randy

cnd374
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by cnd374 »

65 dodge 2.JPG
65 dodge 1.JPG

cnd374
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by cnd374 »

65 dodge 3.jpg

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

That's pretty toasted. :pale
John

cnd374
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by cnd374 »

Unfortunately I don't think the body is salvageable. I know I should prob walk away from it but the price is not bad considering everything that has been done to it. It does still have the pto winch. Gears changed to 355 and front Axle out of late 80's. Everything is here but a body. I'm just worried that if I buy this and start going through it I won't be able to find a cab and rear doors. I'm sure all of the other parts can be found over time.

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gifford
State: WA

Post by RAYMAN »

If it was me I would get the truck and just part it out and keep looking for a better one, At least that way you will score on the parts and have thm for the better truck. :Thumbsup :2cents

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

I'd always start with as much as rust free as I could afford and upgrade it how you see fit. That one is roasted.... :pale

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

How much is the asking price? It is basically nothing but parts and only worth about $200/ton. U would spend several thousand on a cab and still have a massive amount of work to do just swapping it on. Ive parted out 3 crews that were in way better condition than that one, but still not worth keeping intact. One was a 63 D200 with a 413, 420 trans, the other a 70 W200 383, 435 trans. I paid $100 for the 63 and $500 for the 70.

cnd374
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by cnd374 »

Thank you all for the input. I already knew that would be the response. Guess I just needed to here it from someone else. Most importantly, if I brought home a project to work on my wife would understand it, but I don't think there is anyway I could sell her on parking a parts truck in the yard for another truck that I don't have yet.

68dually
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: turbotville
State: PA

Post by 68dually »

If you can get it for scrap price , bring it home and then sell the parts to us. Then you can make a little extra money to put towards the truck you want.

:2cents Randy