**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gifford
State: WA

Re: 5-Speed Transmision Options

Post by RAYMAN »

I have done what Jim100 has done and swaped the bellhousing around from v-8 to 6 without an adapter. Heres my new question, are all of the nv3500 bellhousings cast into the case or are there models were the bell is not cast in?

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Parker
State: CO

Post by 40YearOldFury »

You may want to check up on http://www.slantsix.org/ as well. Lots specific /6 stuff up there.

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RAYMAN »

Thank you 40YearOldFury I looked at the six site and didnt find much about 5 speed trans. I did find a nv3500 for $150 but the bellhousing is built into the case. I also found a nv4500 for $250 and i have to pull it out of the truck its in. Are these good prices on the tranys ive found?

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by earlymopar »

Interesting thread fellas...

I'm in the process of swapping out my slant 6 and 3 speed with a Poly 318 and T-5. So far so good with the exception of the clutch cost and that a decent used T-5 is not exactly free.

I'm using an 340 bell housing that I machined an adapter for to mate the T-5 to. I'm using a stock Mopar clutch release arm and am actuating it with the stock (slant 6) clutch master and slave cylinders. The largest issue besides the adapter is getting a throw out bearing that fits the T-5 bearing retainer tube and the factory 340 clutch arm. I picked up a Ford Top loader throw out bearing that fitst the tube but the fit is marginal on the Mopar release arm. The arm material is very hard and not able to be readily machined for any mods so, I opeted to use a Mopar big block release bearing which has an inside diameter that is about .015" undersize to the T-5 bearing retainer tube O.D. Then I simply removed the tube O.D. material by cylindrical grinding.

- EM

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by robertob »

There are some guys on slantsix.org that have adapted T5s. It's not the hardest swap in the world from the looks of it - basically you build a trans adapter plate between the T5 and the aluminum multi-pattern slant six bellhousing.

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by robertob »

earlymopar wrote:Interesting thread fellas...

I'm in the process of swapping out my slant 6 and 3 speed with a Poly 318 and T-5. So far so good with the exception of the clutch cost and that a decent used T-5 is not exactly free.

I'm using an 340 bell housing that I machined an adapter for to mate the T-5 to. I'm using a stock Mopar clutch release arm and am actuating it with the stock (slant 6) clutch master and slave cylinders. The largest issue besides the adapter is getting a throw out bearing that fits the T-5 bearing retainer tube and the factory 340 clutch arm. I picked up a Ford Top loader throw out bearing that fitst the tube but the fit is marginal on the Mopar release arm. The arm material is very hard and not able to be readily machined for any mods so, I opeted to use a Mopar big block release bearing which has an inside diameter that is about .015" undersize to the T-5 bearing retainer tube O.D. Then I simply removed the tube O.D. material by cylindrical grinding.

- EM
Well there you go!

I would be a bit concerned with a T5 behind a V8, they are very good transmissions but do not like to be driven hard behind lots of torque.

PS If you ever want to know more about T5s (including how to rebuild) you should buy my book.

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RAYMAN »

I would rather do an nv4500 swap that looks like the way im gona go. I just have to find a 2 wheel drive nv4500. The one i found for $250 is has a np205 adapted to it.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

RAYMAN wrote:I would rather do an nv4500 swap that looks like the way im gona go. I just have to find a 2 wheel drive nv4500. The one i found for $250 is has a np205 adapted to it.
NV4500 AND a 205.....for $250???? Sounds like a helluva deal!

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RAYMAN »

Does anyone know if there is a conversion to make a 4x4 nv4500 int a 2x4 trans?

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Post by Cageman »

Yeah, dont put a front driveshaft on it!

I dont think a slant will pull overdrive, unless it has 4.56 gears.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

For that little outlay I'd pony up the extra for the front axle and just convert the thing into a 4x4. With the bed empty, even running rock crawling tires, my 2wd has gotten stuck on wet pavement and wet grass... :pale

T5 or even a Ranger 5 speed are common swaps behind the old flathead 6 Mopar engines. Just use the hydraulic throwout bearing the donor trans came with... Drill 4 holes in the bellhousing and bolt everything together. A built /6 isn't the torque monster the old long block L6s were, and the 4 cylinder sourced Ford 5 speed can survive behind a 251 Chrysler...

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

robertob wrote:I would be a bit concerned with a T5 behind a V8, they are very good transmissions but do not like to be driven hard behind lots of torque.
But they come stock behind V8's. :thinking. Lots of folks use this trans behind almost everything. I don't see why a nv4500 wouldn't bolt right up? I thought the adapter was just for the starter location mount? :thinking

PDQAUTO
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: CLAYTON
State: NC

Post by PDQAUTO »

I have a slant six bored 40 over and two 1 barrel carters with the 833 with bell housing and flywheel off a 86 I swapped the clutch bearing for a hydrolic one and truck runs great and gets decent gas mileage. Over drive is fine on straight a ways but uphill grades seem to give me trouble in OD

mikeys_toy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: wilkeson wa

Post by mikeys_toy »

The early bell housings were cast to fit both /6 and 318s, I don't know of any way to make the late model trans fit without lots of money.

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by robertob »

mopardwh wrote:
robertob wrote:I would be a bit concerned with a T5 behind a V8, they are very good transmissions but do not like to be driven hard behind lots of torque.
But they come stock behind V8's. :thinking. Lots of folks use this trans behind almost everything. I don't see why a nv4500 wouldn't bolt right up? I thought the adapter was just for the starter location mount? :thinking
Yes they were, but only weak 1980s V8s, and guys with 5.0 Mustangs and 305 Camaros brake them all the time. A T5 would be OK as long as you don't dump the clutch or try to drag race with it. They are fine behind a /6 - officially they are rated at 250 ft-lb of torque.