**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
gearjammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: pittsfield
State: MA

Re: Gas tank full of rust.

Post by gearjammer »

So they are indeed opposite...thanks for the 411 on this...I see an easy fix on this...just fudge the float arm around so up is down...and vice versa.... still I have to make the gauge work wither way...anybody have a good gauge out there for sale?

gearjammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by gearjammer »

Update.

Chevy sender is backwards from the Dodge..empty on the Chevy is Full on the Dodge-confirmed'

You CAN use the chevy simply by attaching the float arm on the 180 from is original location [cut and solder on opposite side. This will make the sender work opposite from GM's intention.

When you are done , depending on how you set the float, empty will be empty and half a tank will be full

or

Full will be full and half a tank will read empty...

....due to the different ohmage [is that a word?] between the two senders.

I believe I will be grafting a new Mopar sender module onto the Chevy fuel sender to have a more accurate sender. $150 for the tank, $30 for the Mopar sender [repop] and $30 for the GM sender [Repop] maybe three hours labor.
Not a bad fix I think.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

gearjammer wrote:Update.
....due to the different ohmage [is that a word?] between the two senders.[/i]
not a word. the "resistance" is different.

surfnuke9
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Churchton
State: MD

Post by surfnuke9 »

Early 70's Ford senders work at almost the exact resistances as the Dodge sender and likely the flange is the same size as the chevy tank.

gearjammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by gearjammer »

Found the cheapest [repop] Mopar sender on ebay..[for a 67 GTX] $35 to my door. I guessing I'll be able to take it apart and graft the electronics it to the chevy sender and make it all work...Hopefully by the end of the week.

gearjammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by gearjammer »

Tank is in, sender is modified and works purrfect. If anybody needs to know how to do this or needs any info, just e-mail me
offers1320@yahoo.com

71 Chevy truck tank
71 Chevy truck sender
67 GTX sender [for guts of the rheostat]
3 inches of fuel proof 2 in ID hose, [Carquest has it] Under $300 for everything Image

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

That is rad.

69W200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: NE Wyoming
State: WY

Post by 69W200 »

Took the fuel tank out of my 69 last weekend because the fuel filter was plugging. I was shocked to see it was in very good shape w/ just a few flakes of rust in the bottom. I would like to bend the pickup tube so it sits 1/2" off the bottom, anyone see any harm?

After I let it air out for a few days in the sun, I was also shocked that there was so much varnish on the walls that was peeling off in sheets. It looks like the rest will be hard to clean out so I am planning to have it boiled out.

I have read about tank coatings and decided to not use any for now...2 schools of thought, none and several products...

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

rockingkay wrote:Well I just stepped all in the stink. I didnt know that was a spelling test. I do remember seeing the amp eqation in the paper for the ohm meter, sorry about that. and power does flow. It is a current. Which is probly not spelled right, so I hope it does make you mad.And I stand by what I said. yes the float is floating on the gas but as it drops its contacted is draging acrossed a wrap of copper wire. The closer it is to the by screw on top of the float,the less resistance,the more warps of wire the power has to flow through, the more resistance. I still dont think a differants of 10 ohms would burn the gauge up ,as it wouldnt get to this points unless the tank was full or empty,which ever way was to the end of the wire wrap. But none of this m atters because what it comes down to is the gauge want read right. I cant find spell check on here, I am sure someone will want corect my spell, you might want to check if all the period are in the right place being it sound like you are on yours. Please note the lite blue wire on the right is the sending unit. See the to ground symbol on it. Ok I know it is 68 but they all would be the same. This and a lot of wire is were my truck started no wireing in the truck. It all works.
'68 is a one year only wiring harness is what I've been told and confirms that comparing it to other wiring schematics, the fusebox is different than any others I've seen. One turn signal flasher fusebox on '68s, emergency light flasher is on the end of the emergency switch itself, reverse switch is mounted on the dash mounted gear selector(if so equipped), dome light has switch on it and straight to fusebox(can't turn the headlamp switch to make it work).... and a few other things. It's not wired exactly like the factory manual(a Mopar thing).

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

From what I have seen over the years with 66/67/68 wiring they are similar if not the same. Regardless the wiring in those trucks and earlier can't be any simpler as far as it goes.