Pulling axle shafts '64 D100 8-3/4: need help!

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
2bluesweptlines
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Longview, Texas

Pulling axle shafts '64 D100 8-3/4: need help!

Post by 2bluesweptlines »

Got the drum off on the right side and now need to pull the axle shaft out. I don't have the tool they use in the FSM; what else should I use? It's like I need a "reverse puller" that bolts to the lugs on the axle housing that hold the brake backing plate on and pulls on the threaded end of the axle shaft. Any ideas?
Stephan
'63 W300 Perkins turbo diesel (for sale)

2bluesweptlines
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Longview, Texas

Re: Pulling axle shafts '64 D100 8-3/4: need help!

Post by 2bluesweptlines »

Ahhhh! Seems like everytime I post something on here, not but 10 minutes later I get it figured out. Makes me look like a dufus! :banghead

Weird stuff, when I finally got the right side drum off, I didn't realize it at the time but it popped both sides off simultaniously. I thought that was pretty handy. I slide the drum back on the left side and hand tightened the nut and pulled once or twice on the drum and the axle came out. I tried the same thing on the right side to no avail, thus I hit it harder with a bigger hammer-the true engineering approach! It finally popped off. What a time.

The seat is out getting redone as I speak and will be done Monday. It was going to be done today, but it took longer than they thought. In a way, I'm glad now because it gives me time to work on a few things that I otherwise would not have, such as the steering box, rear brakes, horn, working on floorboard rust, etc. I don't know what it is going to be like to have a new(er) car with nothing to work on or fix.
Stephan
'63 W300 Perkins turbo diesel (for sale)