How to remove rear drums '64 D100?

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
2bluesweptlines
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Longview, Texas

How to remove rear drums '64 D100?

Post by 2bluesweptlines »

I've never taken the rear drums off before and am having trouble. I tried using a standard drum puller but just mashed up the threads. I need to get the drums off to pull the axles to switch the pumpkin. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,
Stephan
Stephan
'63 W300 Perkins turbo diesel (for sale)

aqmet
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Norcross
State: GA

Re: How to remove rear drums '64 D100?

Post by aqmet »

I recently had to pull the drums on my 64 D100 Town Wagon and used the drum puller in the attached picture; you may be able to find one at a tool rental shop.

Start by removing the castle nut on the axle and then turn the castle nut over and place it back on the axle just until it is flush with the end of the axle. Attach the legs of the puller to the studs and tighten them down and turn the center bolt of the puller until it contacts the axle. Next you grab a 2 pound or heavier sledge hammer and start to hit the end of the dog bone striker on the puller.

If you are lucky after a short while the drum will release with a load pop, that is the reason you need to put the castle nut back on the axle if you do not when it pops it may fly across your garage.

I have heard of many other ways of doing this, but have not personally tried them; an internet search on “tapered axles” will turn up some information.

Good luck
Mike
Attachments
drum puller.jpg
1964 D100 - Town Wagon 318 NP435
1964 D100 - Town Panel /6 A745

2bluesweptlines
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Thanks Mike, I got one off and am not too worried about the other now. I heated it up and ended up using a 4 foot cheater bar and it finally popped off.
Stephan

Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Post by Hewy »

2bluesweptlines wrote:Thanks Mike, I got one off and am not too worried about the other now. I heated it up and ended up using a 4 foot cheater bar and it finally popped off.
How did you use the 4 foot bar ? Was it without the puller described by Mike ?
"Hewy"
1964 D100 318 poly sweptline
1964 D100 225 /6 short utiline

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

When using the puller like shown in the picture, you don't actually pull the hub off by tightening it. You tighten it as described with a hammer, then hit it on the end with a hard blow and the hub will pop off. Don't be gentle, hit it straight on and firmly. If it doesn't pop off the first or second blow, tighten it more and try again. This is easier on the end of the axle and doesn't spread it as much. You can see that there is a pad on the end of the screw for hitting on. It doesn't look like the puller in the pic has been used much, the areas where you hit on it still look new.
I'm curious about that four foot cheater also.
1969 Adventurer W100

2bluesweptlines
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

I used a very similar puller to the one on the picture, mine just doesn't have the hammer attachment. It looks like that hammer attachment comes off in the one pictured above, then it would be identical to mine. I got a socket that fit the hex end on the puller and attached it to a 1/2" drive breaker bar and put my 4' long floor jack handle on it.
Stephan