Epoxy primer issue suggestions please!

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Epoxy primer issue suggestions please!

Post by my5thmopar »

This was the first time I have sprayed epoxy primer. The can had the VOC mix at 4:1:.5 so, that's 1/2 on the reducer. Well the data sheet (which I didn't have before all this) says 4:1:3 conventional primer or 4:1:4 for sealer using a 1.5 to 1.8 tip at 35-45 psi at gun. I shot it using a 1.4 tip and 30 psi at the gun. I did bump up the pressure and lowered the fluid and several other things but, no help. I can fix the spraying issue and I should have realized it was just too thick. Primer was kept in the house and garage was heated to 70 degrees. I'm sure the issue was thick paint, small nozzle, and low pressure.

Here is the problem.....it came out thick, rough and stringy. I'm not too concerned with the underside of the d100 but the inside of the cab will be eventually painted. Although, the primer is hard and it is sands producing dust and not gum.

The inside of cab was sanded with 80 grit. I'm sure the epoxy had something to bite to. I took the surface back mostly to metal where the paint came off easily. The cab had one bad repaint which the paint and red oxide primer was removed completely. Some original paint on firewall and behind seat was sanded and didn't want to come off.

How should I finish the inside of the cab?
Use 2k over the epoxy and sand and paint as usual?
Correctly apply more epoxy then What???

Any need for more epoxy or just scuff and 2k. The rest of the truck is going to get epoxy and 2k. It seems that maybe a coat of 2k would be easier to sand before paint. Again this is my first time with epoxy.I'm wondering should I sand the epoxy smooth and shoot the paint? I'm just not sure how to proceed. Thanks Craig

RobertGilliam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Clinton

Re: Epoxy primer issue suggestions please!

Post by RobertGilliam »

Sand it with 400. If you want slick you can seal it and then paint, should be good to go.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Epoxy is a good sealer but I the working with it because it stays gummy longer. I usually just use etching primer.

Reducer just makes it spray able and won't change the composition so if is dry and smooth you are fine. If it is ugly, sand it down. Maybe take it down with 80 grit and start fresh?

Once you have a good coating, 2k is fine. Heck, for years I was just using 2k and nothing else after I had a good biting surface...

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by kurt »

You should really use a 1.8 tip for primers. I used to have a real hard time with primers and dry spray before I knew that. I use a harbor freight 1.8 just for primer then I have a Sharpe HVLP 1.4 for the paint. If its stringy (spider webbing) you need to reduce more. Try a few small batches on card board until you get it right.

68dually
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: turbotville
State: PA

Post by 68dually »

I shouldn't be too much of a problem for you because you'll still have to rough sand , then do your filler work and then spray your high build or sandable primer. So you have a lot of steps that will cover your rough looking epoxy. Epoxy is a great sealer and very tough so it's good that your using it.

Hope this helps :Thumbsup , Randy

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia

Post by my5thmopar »

Thanks for the suggestions. I finished the outside of the cab today. I used the 4:1: and 3 on the reducer. It came out pretty good. Been having some issues with my cheap gun. I used 1.8 and bumped the pressure up as suggested on the tech sheet. It laid down much smoother and a good wet coat. I used epoxy because I had to do a lot of metal work and rust. Doing this work a little at a time and I've read good things about the adhesion and rust protection. Its nice to see new floor pans and rockers, plus at least the cab is one color now.

rimerson
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: montrose
State: CO

Post by rimerson »

I have been doing body work for years and all this new tech stuff is really mind blowing. I only use epoxy primer on parts that are going on the under side or that is going to be covered(like floor boards cover with floor mat). after epoxy primer I under coat. if your going to use epoxy primer on the paint areas you need to spray it then wait 1 to 2 hours then spray with 2k high build primer. then let it dry and sand with 400 to sooth and seal and paint. Or to save a lot of money you can buy Sem Metal Lock 2k primer its an all in one, its is a direct to metal primer and it sands like butter. that's all I use know and have had no issues with it at all.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

check out http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/ . I'm using their epoxy and it sprays awesome. They have a "guide to the perfect paint job" on their website. Pretty good information. They guide also comes with any of their products you buy from them. The book also has detailed instructions for everyone of their products. I use like my paint bible!