rollin paint

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
spikekid999
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: sticks of WI

rollin paint

Post by spikekid999 »

ive heard a lot of people on hear say theyve painted their truck with a roller.my dad painted his ramcharger with roller but the fuzzies kept coming off stickin to the truck in the paint. is there any special type that i should use when i paint my truck.
craig

1973 dodge dart (project Money Eater[urlhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934209[/url]

1987 Chrysler Fifth avenue (Training Day Chrysler)[urlhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2647481[/url]

dodgetkboy78
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Big Lake
State: AK

Post by dodgetkboy78 »

yeah, use the nylon pile rollers, rather than the wool rollers. The Nylon pile roller doesn't give the show quality finnish, like we see at the car shows, but you dont have to spend all your time using your fingernails to pick the fuzzies out of the fresh paint. If you have the paint the proper texture, you wont be able to tell the difference between the two rollers anyway.
I reccomend water color paints, that way, when you get sick of the color, you just wash, and paint a different color! Also may come in handy when your truck is seen robbing the local walmart lawn and garden center, for landscaping poles, like I build my moms new appartment complex out of.

spikekid999
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by spikekid999 »

i aint gonna get sick of the pain and use water colors. im gonna use rustolem. im gonna paint it silver then a mettalic blue
craig

1973 dodge dart (project Money Eater[urlhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934209[/url]

1987 Chrysler Fifth avenue (Training Day Chrysler)[urlhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2647481[/url]

dodgetkboy78
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dodgetkboy78 »

:pale

I didn't know you were serious.

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LaA
State: CA

Post by tom-adc »

Most of the people rolling their paint use the 4" foam rollers from home depot and such.
This link has some real tips. I bought a six pack of the fire red brightside I'm going to do my 71 with it.
http://carpainting.wetpaint.com/page/Ro ... hane+Paint
Last edited by tom-adc on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: rollin paint

Post by CLIFF »

spikekid999 wrote:ive heard a lot of people on hear say theyve painted their truck with a roller.my dad painted his ramcharger with roller but the fuzzies kept coming off stickin to the truck in the paint. is there any special type that i should use when i paint my truck.

Start reading this then get back with me on any questions....This is a damn good thread check it out

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... art=1&vc=1

meangreen
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by meangreen »

...rattle can, or paint gun...
DeviantS c.c.
the lower to the ground the closer to hell, thats where were all goin anyway. if sparks dont fly your to high

1970 d-100
76 360, 727 3 speed auto.

meangreen
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by meangreen »

...rattle can, or paint gun...
DeviantS c.c.
the lower to the ground the closer to hell, thats where were all goin anyway. if sparks dont fly your to high

1970 d-100

dodgetkboy78
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dodgetkboy78 »

meangreen wrote:...rattle can, or paint gun...
:goodpost
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Duplicolor is some pretty good rattle can paint, real consistent. :2cents

Better'n a roller, I thought you were joking.

tragic59
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tragic59 »

Anyone who thought he was joking hasn't read the link that CLIFF posted.

I used to think rolling paint on a car was B.S. too. But that link made a believer out of me.

meangreen
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by meangreen »

well regardless of what everyone says, im just gonna stick to sprayin'
DeviantS c.c.

1970 d-100

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tom-adc »

meangreen wrote:well regardless of what everyone says, im just gonna stick to sprayin'
Probably best in the long run, the roller job has a lot of labor involved in it. But have to admit the roller job comes out good and is very driveway friendly. I plan on doing a combo of roll and spray using the Brightside marine paint.
But if I had a place to spray I would.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I never thought about actually doing this when I first heard about it. Now I am considering it as long as I can get a color made. I spent 3 years deciding what color to paint my truck.

It will take a long time to get through reading that original thread though. :pale I'm on page 9. Is most of what you need to know on the first pages of this thing? I know they have discovered different paints and techniques later in the thread though. I guess I'll be reading for a while.

Is that Interlux Brightside post the final conclusion of the original thread?

spikekid999
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by spikekid999 »

i would spray it but the only spray gun my dad has access to give good demo car paint jobs...runs like a moth*f*ck*, and i heard of people on here using a rollor so i thought id try it with my truck but just needed more info
craig

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tom-adc »

Soopernaut look at page 82 at the mustang the guy used Fire Red Brightside on...
Same color I'm going to use on the truck.

sireland67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by sireland67 »

That mustang was really a work of art.
That thread took me about three nights to read all of it.
How is the painting going Cliff?

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

I just finished rolling my 6th coat....The labor to me isnt bad at all......takes about 5 minutes to roll the entire roof. and after the third coat I wetsanded with 600 to take out a few bugs and some lint and dust..that took all of about 1/2 hour. I'll wet sand with 1000 then 1500 then 2000 and buff! I went with the Canvas White Rustoluem. LOOKS GREAT by the way! Pics coming soon...I cant believe how easy this is and how you can do it out in the driveway when its 45 degrees out! yep I was rolling on paint out in the driveway when it was 45 out the other night! I let it dry like 24 hours before i apply another coat when it has been cold out.

Anyway i took a couple days break from the paintwork on my roof to put in a new Alpine head unit...model 9856.....I had to cut the hole for the unit cause my dash just had the three little holes there for the old style radio???? and i built a mount for 2 4x6's 3 way butted together for inside center grill dash area. Also put two 6 1/2" 3 way speakers In seperate boxes under the seat....
http://www.sweptline.com/tech/spkrbox.html

This system sounds freakin great! I was so tired of humming and whistling to myself everyday while I commuted! lol...I broke down and spent $400 to do it though!
Last edited by CLIFF on Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

sireland67 wrote:That mustang was really a work of art.
That thread took me about three nights to read all of it.
How is the painting going Cliff?
Yes that McClaren Mustang turned out nice! Good body work makes a big difference also...if you go rolling this stuff on and not fixs dents and dings its going to look like crap but so would a sprayed paintjob! I worked on about 20 little dents and dings on my roof alone....with the old flat oxidized paint that was on there i didnt even know 3/4 of them were even there...If i would have started rolling and not fixed these Man it would look horrible with a shiny new paint jobl. Those little nickle size dents and dings would stick out like a sore thumb.

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tom-adc »

Cliff not to hi jack this thread but how about posting some pix of your sound systen install :Thumbsup

dodgetkboy78
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dodgetkboy78 »

I really dont see how a roller is more driveway friendly than a few cans of quality paint...................
But, whatever.
I just am taking back my claim, of being a redneck, you guys got me beat ten to one. :Thumbsup