1965 D200 Crew Cab

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

1965 D200 Crew Cab

Post by wayneswirld2 »

Bought this project a few days ago here in Austin, Tx. Can't say WHEN it was last driven. Engine is locked up, but has new tires and wheels!!! lol Installing a good engine this weekend, hopefully the trans and differential are OK. The plans are to have this thing driveable for the Lonestar Roundup that is the first weekend in April, wish me luck, LOTS of it!

Wayne
Austin, TX
Attachments
D200 right rear.jpg
D200 right rear.jpg (24.46 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
D200 right front.jpg
D200 right front.jpg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
D200 and slant 6 004.jpg
D200 and slant 6 001.jpg

MOPAR70
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pleasant Hill
State: MO

Re: 1965 D200 Crew Cab

Post by MOPAR70 »

Cool find. Love the step side crew cabs. :Thumbsup

skyrodder666
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Angelo/Manvel Tx.

Post by skyrodder666 »

Hey good luck man, i hope to be out there too for the roundup. There's normally a few sweptlines that show up. Hope to see you out there!

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

Thanks skyrodder,

Since I live in Austin there is no way to NOT be at the Roundup. The crew cab may make it to the Expo Center, but don't think it'll be at the night time cruises down Congress. I will, however, drive the Caddy to the cruises, it always makes a good showing.

Wayne
Attachments
my cad cowboys.JPG

Dman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Somerville
State: MA

Post by Dman »

isn't that grill a 1966?

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Dman wrote:isn't that grill a 1966?
If you are talking about the truck, the early 65s had the grille like your avatar photo. The mid 65s had the grille like his truck.

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

The truck was delivered to the Army late July 1965, so I'm assuming production is mid-1965. I could pinpoint it I'm sure, but I'm guessing at this point.

Wayne
Austin, TX

Dman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Somerville
State: MA

Post by Dman »

Oh, so the early 65s were left over stock till they used them up and then they switched mid year to the next look? Was the pie pan grill in officially for three years?

Ps. I have no knowledge of caddies at all, except my father buys them for $200 and then runs them till the fire department takes them away one flaming catalytic converter at a time lol

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Dman wrote:Oh, so the early 65s were left over stock till they used them up and then they switched mid year to the next look? Was the pie pan grill in officially for three years?
Something like that. I believe April 65 was when the new trucks came out. Mid-65-67 had that grille.

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

FINALLY drove the crew cab on the road for the first time today, put about 30 miles or so on it. It's been a long, hard 7 months since we first put our hands on it, and it felt great to get it out and about! Tons of shows this weekend that I'd love to drive the Dodge to, but I'm a musician and have gigs out of town this weekend, dammit all to hell.

But next weekend is a big swap meet here in Austin, and you can bet your bottom dollar I'm driving the crew cab to it!

Wayno

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Yelm
State: WA

Post by crusty »

That's cool! I really wish I was driving mine...

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

I wouldn't really say we're DRIVING it yet. We've been on a couple of test drives in the 20 mile range is all so far. Right now the issue is overheating...I think there's something going on with the water pump, :banghead :banghead but won't know til this weekend. Not a whole lot of power either. Gets around decently, and is a beast to drive, but we'll work out the bugs over the next week or so.

Wayno
Austin, TX

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

Haven't posted in awhile, so here's an update. We've decided to put a big block and automatic in the crew cab. I bought a built 413 Max Wedge motor and 727 Torqueflite trans to drop in the truck. Right now I'm going thru the engine and freshening it up with new bearings, new oil pump, timing chain, rings, etc....Has a Crane 294A cam in it, might be going with roller lifters and rockers, dunno yet. I'm also installing a tunnel ram with two Holley 450 4bbls. Since we're kinda sorta making it a "rat" truck we're not too concerned with cosmetics, but the more I think about it the more I'd like to make the truck look as good as it's going to run.

I found a donor truck at a local Wrench-A-Part a few weeks ago and got tons of good stuff from it; it had a 400 and 727 in it. Got the big block motor mounts, auto trans mount, hood (so I can cut a hole in it for the tunnel ram), brackets, and alot of other usable stuff.

Since I don't have a garage, only storage, I'm looking for a place in Austin to do the build. I'm hoping to have it done within a couple months to where it's streetable, we'll see how it goes once I've found a place to do the build.

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

Been a little while since posting, but back to working on the crew cab hard and heavy. Found warehouse space to do the build, about 800 sq ft. Bought a '65 Utiline parts truck last week, stripped the suspension, glass, doors, hood, core support, dash, out of it for the crew cab. Always liked the '4 eye' look over the pie plate. And decided to install the 5 lug half ton suspension in place of the 8 lug 3/4 ton suspension. I couldn't find 8 lug wheels that I liked, at all....

This week I installed the half ton suspension, along with the Weld Draglites for the front and rear. Looks pretty good I must admit. Also pulled the slant 6 and have started doing the mock up for the 413 installation. Will run into some small stuff, but so far nothing major. Keepin' my fingers crossed. I'll try to post pix as I take 'em....can't seem to figure out how to resize pix so I can post them.....

Wayne
Austin, TX

tinbasher
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cache Creek
State: CA

Post by tinbasher »

use paint.

open the picture, right click, edit with, paint.

then resize however you like.

remember to use the 'save as ' function so you don't lose the original.

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview

Post by mopardwh »

Sweet crew!

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

Thanks for the info! Lemme see if this works...if it does you can look forward to alot more pix!

Wayne
Austin, TX
LF Crew Scoop 2.jpg

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview

Post by mopardwh »

It works for me. I like where you are going with this. Are you planning on lowering it?

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

No plans to lower it, much. Can't lower the rear due to the width of the tires, will have issues with keeping things from rubbing. The front end should drop a little with the added weight of the big block and trans....and there's the half ton suspension under the front end too so THAT should allow things to settle a little lower.

Wayno

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

Lots of stuff to update you guys on with the crew cab. Finally got my trans back from the builder after 6 weeks, installation went well enough. Had a local driveshaft builder shorten the original front half of the driveshaft by about 10 inches and install a 727 yoke on it, didn't have to do ANYTHING to the back half of the driveshaft. Engine install went fairly well, had it in and out several times during mock up phase to check for clearances. I do have a front sump oil pan for the engine, but haven't been able to find the right oil pump pickup to use that pan, so for now I'm using the regular car center sump pan. I know, I know, disaster waiting to happen. But since this truck is only going to be used VERY sparingly for a show coming up in two weeks I'll make sure that I'm SUPER careful when driving it. I have about 4 inches of clearance between the front axle and bottom of the oil pan.....no hard launches or speed bumps for this guy!

The worst part of everything, sofar, has been removing the original 4 speed bellhousing crossmember. It was nerve racking to say the least. I've seen tons of posts and pix where people have 'stubbed' and bolted another crossmember in it's place after installing the automatic trans, but for the life of me I don't know how the hell they had anything left of the original crossmember if they were going to use headers, which I have installed.

My wife, Mandy, has done some nice work with the headliners. She found some Emu hyde/skin and built a couple of inserts that just slide into the recessed area and stays put. We're planning on having the seats, 4 bucket seats from a CART bus, done in the same material. She also did the sunvisors in Emu. Looks pretty damned good if I do say so myself. I'll have to get some pix of that uploaded for y'all.

After sweating and worrying for months over the engine setup, I finally fired up the 413 two days ago. Holy hell is that thing LOUD (open headers for now), and it runs like a champ. The Crane Fireball cam gives it a very lumpy idle, nice throttle response, and it feels like it'll rip the rear tires to shreds. I haven't driven the truck yet as there are still a few things left to do; brakes all the way around, replace the rear axles bearings and seals, finish up some interior stuff, wire in the tach, etc...

I'm going to take a few more days off from my regular work and try to have this thing up and running for breakfast with the car club on Saturday morning....that goal might be a little lofty, but we'll see. I figure if I put to long hard days into it I can have everything done that needs to be done to drive it safely. Oh well, looks like the wife will have to not see me for a couple more nights....

Here are a couple new pix to whet your whistle....
Attachments
radiator shot before plug wires.JPG
No longer a pie plate
No longer a pie plate
Sorta looks like ET needs to phone home!
Sorta looks like ET needs to phone home!
A shot of the 15X12's out back
A shot of the 15X12's out back