It's in and runs, finally!

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
2bluesweptlines
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Longview, Texas

It's in and runs, finally!

Post by 2bluesweptlines »

Finally got the motor running after it just sitting in the truck for about a month and a half. I spent the last several days after finals got done at school (yuck...) getting all the wires and lines hooked up. There was nothing but headers on it, so it was pretty loud! It didn't start right up the first time we tried; at first, I had the distributor in 180 out (I'm a dummy), then I had the two wires going from the HEI module to the distributor backwards. When those wires were backwards, it kinda ran, but sounded funny and like it was only firing on a few cylinders. Once we swapped those wires, it started right up! The accelerator pump on that Edelbrock 500 sure works! (it shoots out a heck of a lot more gas then the old BBD did) I still need to figure out what timing it like and maybe play with the mixture, but for the most part, it runs. It doesn't want to run below 1200 rpm and it sends flames out the carb sometimes (thinking the timing is too advanced?) When it gets down in the lowed rpms, it seems to have a nice crackle and lope to it, but I'll have to see once I get it tuned right and to where it will really idle. I'll fiddle with it more, but maily I was pretty excited that I didn't put the crank in backwards or anything. The truck is over where I go to school, but I had to come home yesterday for Christmas break (even though I'd rather be messing with it) I'll get some video of it running when I get back.

Here's one that show's the headers and how the rear set now exits straight down, as opposed to exiting right at the starter solenoid when I bought them. I ended up chopping a wedge out of them and welding them back. Now they are identical to the Clifford Performance "high-starter" headers that Clifford no longer makes (ugh-it's still in their catalog though)

You can't really see it, but I painted the extruded part of the fan blades yellow, while the rest is green. Looks pretty cool when the radiator is out or when you are up close!

Here's the junk in the motor: '64 block and head, block .030" over, head ported and polished, milled .100" big valves, 340 springs, Erson 280 deg, .465" cam, double roller chain, balanced rods and pistons, ARP rod bolts, Offenhauser 4 bbl intake, Edelbrock 500 4 bbl manual choke, Clifford shorty headers, HEI (Mopar electronic distibutor, Accel 35367 module, MSD Blaster coil, Magnecor wires (too bad they are blue, they don't match at all!). I think that's all, maybe I'll remember something else later.

Thanks for all the help along they way, you guys are the best!
Stephan
'63 W300 Perkins turbo diesel (for sale)

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Re: It's in and runs, finally!

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Congrat`s on getting it running :clap . I bet it sound`s good open header`s too . I put a Clifford set-up on a customer`s Duster once and it running good with no problem`s to this day . Fast Too !!! Andy
Andy

steven
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by steven »

Great job, that carb dwarfs that /6 :lol:
1967 Dodge D200 5.7 HEMI/5speed
1971 Dodge Challenger #'s 383/727
1974 Dodge D600 318 5+2
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins HO

wide65
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by wide65 »

That is awesome man!!! :clap :clap

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Post by Cageman »

Cool, glad the HEI worked for you, in my opinion, the only way to go.

The plug wires match the truck.

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

I love slant sixes. I've always wanted to build one like you have done but never did it. Let us know how it performs when you get it all sorted out. It should be pretty fast and also should sound good with a good set of pipes.
1969 Adventurer W100

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

That engine looks awesome! :Thumbsup :clap Great job. My good friend's
older brother built up a mean Slant 6 in a '69 Dart..... that thing moved!
You'll have lots of fun.
John

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Opelika
State: AL

Post by DocsTruck »

Nice job!!! :Thumbsup I really like the yellow detail!!!
Marty
Keeper Of Old Blue
1968 D100 Custom

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

I am extremely interseted in how that thing performs. Thought about suspension upgrades to help?
Doug

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

Looking good! Is the motor in for good or is it coming back out?
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

motomatt383
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Durham, NC
State: NC

Post by motomatt383 »

John Deere Green!! i luv it! gives the leanin' tower of power a sinister look!!! Congrats on getting it runnin'.

matt
'70 D-100, Ruffin,plum crazy/wht top,5.2 magnum.
'70 Roadrunner
'40 Dodge coupe
http://community.webshots.com/user/motomatt383
http://www.myspace.com/70runner

2bluesweptlines
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Slick,
It's in and staying in for good...or until next summer when I put a turbo on it! Then I'll have to change out the head and maybe the pistons, but I'll keep the slant in there.

Mopardwh,
I haven't thought about suspension upgrades yet. Anything in particular you recommend? -I'm open to ideas (sorry, no slammin' or bags slick, meangreen...although it doe look sweet!) I wouldn't mind dropping it just a hair or putting a little rake in it like a few of the guys here have-I think it looks pretty sweet. It's either that or putting stiffer (3/4 ton maybe) springs in it from Eaton.

I'll keep you all posted on how it runs and drives once I get it all going. I'm hoping I'll at least be able to smoke a tire around a corner! Thanks for all the comments!

Next thing to think of is exhaust. I want to keep dual exhaust and have thought of a few options: two pipes running side by side exiting right before one of the rear wheels (NASCAR style), leaving the pipes tucked under to where you can't see them easily, running two straight pipes out the rear with no mufflers. I think if I run mufflers, I'll use a Flowmaster style muffler. Cherry bombs on a six sound pretty raspy and create quite a drone on the highway. I may run the exhaust however I decide to run it and not put mufflers in and if I don't like it, then cut out a section and put two mufflers in. What do you guys think?
Stephan

demulsion
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bremerton
State: WA

Post by demulsion »

I always love seeing a built slant go back into any Mopar. Congrats on the build and install. Can't wait to hear your stories like Robin's...

I heard a slant with homemade Dutra type manifolds running a straight pipe. It sounded beautiful. I'm about to do headers on my Dart, and I'll most likely use a Borla muffler. I'll be sticking with a single 2 1/4 pipe for now, though.
'69 D200 383/727 -and- '68 D200 318/833od 4x4 conversion project

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Congradulations :clap :dance for getting it in, and for having the know-how to fix the bugs, as for timing, that changed when you put in the cam, the fastest way to get it close to where it performs is to use a vacuam gauge and set the carb, then with test drives (beware at the stop light, fords & chitty's may pull up next to you) you can fine tune it, you'll be going in a circle trying to set everything, and I would STRONGLY suggest you get it set perfect and have time to drive it BEFORE you go the TURBO on :Thumbsup :salut :dance :clap :usa

Daddiojoe
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Daddiojoe »

Congratulations, Stephan. Great feeling, isn't it? If you ever come through Austin w/it let me know and we can race or something :lol:

Joe
1971 4-eyed Shortbed D100 225 /6 727 AT 3.23 rear running on Sweet Lady Propane

hemihydro135
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: tucsonaz

Post by hemihydro135 »

Lookin good Stephan!! :Thumbsup the headers came out good... your Patience and hard work is finally paying off :clap
congrats! hopefully I can catch up to you :lol:
1968 SWB
1964 Crew Cab Power Wagon
1972 Plymouth Satellite

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

If there's anything that deserves a moment on youtube, it's this motor on it's open exhaust. :Thumbsup Let's hear it! :dance

Do you have the technology? :thinking

:lol: :lol: :lol: :2cents :2cents
Jeff Easterbrook
66 D100 440/727 on 72 IFS chassis
67 W200 440/4-sp. Resting
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

http://www.jeasterbrook.usana.com

Frame swap Q & A guy :Thumbsup

2bluesweptlines
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Yep, I'll get a good video of it running open headers once I get back. I'm looking forward to hearing it again.
Stephan

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

By the way, I noticed you took off .100 off the heads, that mean your probably too high to do Turbo, the maximum compression for turbo is 9:2:1 :pale

2bluesweptlines
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Yep Robin, you're right. I have another head waiting to be cleaned up just for that purpose that has not been milled yet. I'll probably just build a whole new head seeing as how new valves and springs aren't that much. I did all the porting on the one on the truck now myself. It was nice becuase all it cost me was the cost of the carbide bits for the die grinder and the rest was in my time, which is free.

Later today I'll put a ballpark figure of what everything cost so if you are contemplating a slant six build, you get a rough idea of how much it is. Also, if you're thinking about one, check out the slantsix.org forum. They are a god bunch of guys and are real helpful. I want to see a few more built up slant sixes from guys on this site! I know a number of us have them in our trucks. Performance parts are all readily available!
Stephan