Hot Rod Crew Cab

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Re: Hot Rod Crew Cab

Post by wayneswirld2 »

I completely agree with you that the fenders WILL cause issue, and it's one of the good dollies too. Ehhhh, looks cool in mock up phase, but totally un-doable. Damn it.

Now for an update.... Got some good work out of the wife tonight on the floors. After doing a bunch of reading I decided to use Peel N Seal to help damper some of the noise we're gonna get in that thing. I know Dynamat is THE way to go, but I'm on a tight budget that is getting tighter by the hour, and I've read several "reviews" from folks that have used Peel N Seal with little to no problems.

Seats are pretty much done too. A guy in the shop across from mine is converting a CART bus into a taco wagon and was going to toss out the seats, I latched on to 5 of them. We're going to eventually recover them, but they are in great shape and comfy as hell, plus they were the right price...FREE. We used the existing lower bench seat frames to mount them on with some polished diamond plate to cover the open areas. All in all, rat rod perfect. And they look good IN the truck too.

We removed the seats that we just finished and installed and Mandy, the wife, scraped and cleaned the floor pans in preparation of laying down the Peel N Seal. Only took her about an hour to do the prep, but after we got home she said it was the hardest hour of labor she's ever done. Welcome to my world woman, welcome to my world.

While she was "laboring" on the floor prep I mocked up the engine to check for header clearance and to acutally SEE how the thing will look in the engine bay with the carbs installed, and to check clearances for other stuff. Looks like the scoop will be a little close to the fire wall, I may have to add a 1" carb spacer under each carb to push the street scoop a little higher for clearance. The passenger header now has good clearance, unsure about the driver header cuz i couldn't get it installed. Probably going to have to lay the driverside header in the engine compartment and THEN set the motor in. Yay, what fun.

The wife only got a little more than half way thru the Peel N Seal installation before it was time to head to the casa, so she'll finish up that little project tonight. Her next project is to clean and prep the engine compartment for paint. She says she likes the cleaning and prepping things, so I'll let her do it till she figures out she doesn't really like it. She's also making custom head liners, but we won't say what they'll be made of just yet. I wanna see if they will actually WORK before I tell y'all what we're doing.

Doing something a little different with the headlights on this one. This truck is originally a pie plate grilled specimen. I've never been crazy about that look to be honest. The donor truck was a 4 eye truck. Same year, 1965, but earlier production. I'm gonna use the 4 eye core support, grille, and headlights to give it an "older" look. I really didn't like the turn signals that were used so I've adapted the turn signals from a '65 Barracuda to fit. Did this on the pie plate grille and it looked awesome, so I figured it would be just as cool on the 4 eyes....was I right? I think so. The thing is, these turn signals are BRIGHT. I'll wire them up to be on when the headlights are on as well, can't wait to see how they look in the dark.

Well guys, no rest for the wicked and weary. I've got 7 weeks to finish this thing before it gets it's first photo shoot. Nope, she won't be the prettiest gal at the dance, but she'll take you under the bleachers and make you think she IS....

Wayno
Austin, TX
Laying down the sound deadener
Laying down the sound deadener
Attachments
Engine mocked up
Engine mocked up
Turn signals, wrinkled headlight cover
Turn signals, wrinkled headlight cover
Front seats
Front seats
New dash installed
New dash installed

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

Ran into a little roadblock today in regards to the engine build....wrong rod bearings!!!! The main journals of the crank are .020 over, and the rod journals are .010 over. I mistakenly order .020 for BOTH sets of bearings....the new ones won't be here until day after tomorrow. Damn. Coulda had that motor built today...bonehead mistake on my part.

On a positive note, my wife finished sound deadening the cab floors today. Now we gotta find some type of rubber matting to lay over the Peel N Seal. I want something that I can take out if I want to that will help reduce the heat AND noise....I'm sure we'll come up with something.

Going to take a day off from the crew cab tomorrow if I can, would love to spend a little time with the family.

Wayno
Austin, TX
Attachments
Fuel cell location.  Gonna build storage bins on either side.
Fuel cell location. Gonna build storage bins on either side.
Peel N Seal, finished
Peel N Seal, finished

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

Not much done on the truck today, still waiting for the rod bearings to show up in the morning. Plus the wife and I both wanted to spend the evening with the kids, who are now in the living room playin XBox.

Only did one thing to the truck; During engine mock up I decided I didn't like the height of the scoop, it was too low to be rat roddish in my opinion. Wasn't stickin' far enough out of the engine compartment. So I took a little trip to Home Depot and found some water heater exhaust that was the perfect diameter to fit the top of the carb and bottom of the carb-to-scoop adaptors. I cut two lengths of exhaust tubing to measure 6", installed the carb-to-scoop adaptors to the top and sat the thing on the carbs to take a look at how tall it'll be. Might be a tad higher than I want, but it's easier to cut the tubing and SHORTEN in than it is to lengthen it. Once I bet the engine built and IN the truck I'll figure out the actual height I'll need, but here's a pic of what it looks like with the 6" extension.

Wayno
Austin, TX
Attachments
Reminds me of Bender from Futurama!
Reminds me of Bender from Futurama!

4DAUTRZ
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Homer
State: NY

Post by 4DAUTRZ »

I've got a 66 crew uti I'm workin on. Can't wait to see how this turns out! I got really excited about your drag wheels at first and then saw you switched to 5 lug. Got excited thinking they were 8 lug LOL oh well. I've been thinking about the old Ford Turbine wheels that are 8 lug. And- Kudoz on the MOPAR heart in your beast. I'm rebuilding the Cadillac 472 that came in mine. IT's going to be awesome but it just doesn't feel right, ya know? Can't argue with over 500 ft lbs in a 9000 lb truck though :)

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

Not really a great deal to report tonight, but I'll update this post some. Got the bottom end of the motor together, cam installed, basically the short block is done. Installed the driver side head this afternoon and found out that I'm 5 short head bolts short, somehow lost 'em while the motor was apart. AND somehow lost two of the rocker shaft hold down bolts and spacers. WTF! Replacement bolts are no big deal, already have some in hand, but those rocker spacers might be hard to come by tomorrow. Yeah, I'd like to finish the build tomorrow, so I gotta get with the dealer and see where I can come up with two of 'em. Digging in my wallet as I type.....

Also got the engine compartment cleaned and painted. Not perfect, but it's all black now, and shiny! SHould receive my motor mount brackets, flexplate bolts, and torque converter bolts from 44source.com tomorrow, so I can do the final mockup of the engine. Hell, if I pick up the trans from the builder I can just install the whole works tomorrow! Yay!!!!

Maybe, if my wallet doesn't get lost, or the wife doesn't take all my money out of it before I head to the shop......

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

Got the correct motor mount brackets from 440source.com this afternoon, couldn't wait to install them, so I did. Finished installing the heads, painted the motor Hemi Orange, and dropped it in the engine compartment to get a good look at how things will sit. Still haven't picked up the trans from the builder, so the engine ANGLE isn't final, or correct, yet. The back of the engine is a little too high in the picture, should be down about an inch and half more I think.

For kicks I loosely installed the 4 eye core support to check for radiator clearance, looks like it'll be tight but do able. I'll know more next week about that.

Here are a couple pics to whet your appetites....

Wayno
Austin, TX
Attachments
Full mock up.....
Full mock up.....
Engine installed, along with the core support.
Engine installed, along with the core support.
Sittin' on the stand waitin' to be installed.
Sittin' on the stand waitin' to be installed.

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

STILL waiting on my transmission builder to finish the 727, he promises it will be done tomorrow. I need to get it installed so I can figure the driveshaft length. Haven't done much in the past couple of days cuz I'm waiting on that damned trans. Have alot schedule after the trans gets installed, but tick tock tick tock darn it.

I'll have more to post tomorrow, but right now I'm just trying to keep a timeline going so I know where and what's been done....

Wayno
Austin, TX

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

And on another note....I'm thinking this should be a part of my "build" post but don't know how to get the two combined. Any ideas or suggestions???

evilram
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by evilram »

wayneswirld2 wrote:Not much done on the truck today, still waiting for the rod bearings to show up in the morning. Plus the wife and I both wanted to spend the evening with the kids, who are now in the living room playin XBox.

Only did one thing to the truck; During engine mock up I decided I didn't like the height of the scoop, it was too low to be rat roddish in my opinion. Wasn't stickin' far enough out of the engine compartment. So I took a little trip to Home Depot and found some water heater exhaust that was the perfect diameter to fit the top of the carb and bottom of the carb-to-scoop adaptors. I cut two lengths of exhaust tubing to measure 6", installed the carb-to-scoop adaptors to the top and sat the thing on the carbs to take a look at how tall it'll be. Might be a tad higher than I want, but it's easier to cut the tubing and SHORTEN in than it is to lengthen it. Once I bet the engine built and IN the truck I'll figure out the actual height I'll need, but here's a pic of what it looks like with the 6" extension.

Wayno
Austin, TX
It looks like Wall-E to me. very cool either way!

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

Wall-E? Dunno what that is...

I've got an update for y'all, but not a huge one. FINALLY got my trans back from the builder last night at 8PM, less the speedo gear drive (big old empty hole) and shift lever. Builder claims it wasn't there when I dropped it off, 6 frikkin' weeks ago.

Anyhoo, I'm on the lookout for those two particular items. Installed the trans this morning so that I could get a measurement for the drive shaft halves. As luck would have it, the rear half of the shaft needs nothing done to it. Hell, I can even reuse the u-joint! The front half of the shaft had to be shortened about 10 inches and have a 727 30 spline yoke added to it, then it was balanced. Total cost...$118. AND was done in only 3 hours. Gotta love my drive shaft builder...but NOT the trans builder at this point.

Also got the batting for the headliners cut and trial fit. The wife will be making both headliners tomorrow, and when we get warmed back up on Sunday she'll be installing them. Can't wait to share the pix of how they are gonna look.

Also got the center console built and the B&M shifter in place, looks pretty damned good. I'll post pix in a few days...

Back to the grindstone tomorrow!

Wayno
Austin, TX

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

Alot of progress has been made over the past few weeks. The engine is built and installed, trans is built and installed, driveshafts cut and installed, slant 6 manual trans crossmember cut out and headers installed, interior mostly done, wiring mostly done, tires and wheels installed, core support installed. Now all the little details to get ready to fire the old gal. Still need dipstick tubes and dipsticks for the motor and trans, gotta find two rocker arm sapcers that I somehow misplaced, need to install a fuel pump, plumb the fuel system, do all the brakes and bleed 'em, run lines for the trans cooler.....now that I look at it in writing, it's not THAT big of a list of things to do, and they need to be done by the end of the month.

The clock is ticking....

Wayno
Austin, TX
Attachments
crew cab rear fat tires no bumper.JPG
crew cab 4 eyes street scoop resized.JPG

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Yelm
State: WA

Post by crusty »

It's looking good! I have been looking at peal n seal as well. How did it do? Did you put down 1 or 2 layers?

Also, can you tell me more about the shifter? I am interested in something like what you have. Height, make, likes/dislikes etc.

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

Hey Crusty.....as for the Peel N Seal it was an easy install. Only did one layer, but I have alot extra and thing I'm going to do a second layer on the driver front and passenger front. The shifter is a B&M, not sure but I think it's called a Megashifter. I've only put about 100 miles on the truck so I can't really make a decision as to whether or not I like it yet. It does the job, is fairly easy to use, but it was used so I'm sure it's a little sloppier now that it was new.

Yep, it's on the road. In fact, I took it for it's inaugural test drive on Wednesday night, 2 days ago. Everything did pretty well so I thought I would stop by a local "cruise in" about 10 miles from my shop. Ended up taking home a trophy for "Koolest Kar" for my efforts. Not bad on it's first night out.

I still have to tweak the timing and carbs, do full exhaust, and CLEAN the damned thing. It's amazing how much dust and crap gets into all the nooks and crannies in a full on build done in 10 weeks.

This thing sounds incredible! You can imagine all the stares, thumbs up, and sometimes terrified looks I get from folks. The terrified looks usually come from the guys driving all the rice burners.... It launches hard and straight, hooks up nicely, stops good, and is a complete beast to drive...just like I like it.

If you're ever in Austin, feel free to shoot me a message and I'll be happy to give you the ride of your life. Who'd have thought an old crew cab would be THIS much fun???

Wayno
Austin, TX

michaelg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Georgetown

Post by michaelg »

I saw you driving down Congress Friday Night, it for sure makes a statement. You've had it at Top Notch too, before the build? I now have a '69, short bed, 318 auto that I picked up last week and drove it out to the Expo and into Austin. I only saw one other Sweptline but did not spend a whole lot of time on Congress or in the field of the Expo Center.

skyrodder666
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Angelo/Manvel Tx.

Post by skyrodder666 »

michaelg wrote:I saw you driving down Congress Friday Night, it for sure makes a statement. You've had it at Top Notch too, before the build? I now have a '69, short bed, 318 auto that I picked up last week and drove it out to the Expo and into Austin. I only saw one other Sweptline but did not spend a whole lot of time on Congress or in the field of the Expo Center.

Well ya musta missed half the show then cause we had four of them in the show. And we saw yours in the parking lot lol. If im thinking correctly then here's one of yours before we moved the cdhawks 71 into the show.

And then there's cdhawks 61, my 68, and waynes crew respectively

facechicken
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Baileyville
State: KS

Post by facechicken »

Man that looked like a good time with those coolers sittin there :Thumbsup

michaelg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by michaelg »

Yep...that's my truck with my bike in the back.....so sneaked in an early year huh? I was wondering about that...I know that some shows allow later year models since the body style is the same as earlier years.

skyrodder666
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Angelo/Manvel Tx.

Post by skyrodder666 »

Face: Yup thats my little collection. Only one of them had beer in it though lol. And yes it was a blast.

Michael: Yea we snuck two later year trucks in. They cant tell the difference. I just told the lady at the front gate that it was a 63 and she let me in. There were many this year that didnt match up year wise. I saw just as many fords that were post-63. Even a 66 or 67 Impala too. Sorry we missed you would bave enjoyed meeting you. There's always next year!

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wayneswirld2 »

What a great time! Roundup was AWESOME this year. For me it was mainly because the crew cab made it's debut. THe photoshoot for Rat Rod Magazine went well, let's hope it actually makes it to the mag. The Congress cruise was a blast, but I rarely got outta first gear. The crew cab performed almost flawlessly with the exception of the battery going to hell on me from all that idling with the fans and lights on. Thanks cdhawk for getting me jump started on Saturday night, and thaks to skyrodder666 for bein' the back up in the plan.

Wayno
Austin, TX
Attachments
Lonestar Roundup photo shoot 1.JPG

michaelg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by michaelg »

what are your plans for the '65 front end that you took off?