radio and speaker install pics

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

radio and speaker install pics

Post by CLIFF »

I stumbled upon these speaker box plans one day and thought hmmmmmmmmm......!!
http://www.sweptline.com/tech/spkrbox.html

So i decieded to make me some using a 6 1/2" 3 way design speaker and I also put a set of 4x6's mounted together for the single grill spot in the center of dash......

Got a new radio also...Alpine 9856

Its amazing how good the sound is coming from these little speakers!!! Loud!!! crisp tweeters and great bass!! helps to have the alpine also....it has great bass and treble tuning. Overall it was worth every penny......Sounds so damn good!!

steven
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by steven »

cool pics, thanks :Thumbsup
1967 Dodge D200 5.7 HEMI/5speed
1971 Dodge Challenger #'s 383/727
1974 Dodge D600 318 5+2
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins HO

kman1226
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Thornton
State: CO

Post by kman1226 »

Nice, are those 6" speakers under the seat? Do you have dimensions for the boxes?
Nice job BTW. :salut

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LaA
State: CA

Post by tom-adc »

Cliff thanks for following through the install looks great and now has me thinking of something like that.
I had planned on just a cheapie AM/FM cassette simply because it fit in the original radio space, don't have any cassetes. but now its time to rethink that :Thumbsup

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

kman1226 wrote:Nice, are those 6" speakers under the seat? Do you have dimensions for the boxes?
Nice job BTW. :salut

Well there actually 6 and 1/2 inch...Pioneer 3 ways basically 6" lol...

Heres what i used to get me started....
http://www.sweptline.com/tech/spkrbox.html

This is how I came up with my measurements....I used a small 10' tape measure. And looked under seat taking all kinds of measurements.... Measure from floor to the bottom of seat. In many locations front back middle...just look to see what would be in the way then measure to it around it whatever it takes to get the diminsions you need. It very simple once you look under there and measure width and length then your height...you get it!......I did have to disconnect the wire that controls the seat latch adjuster for the passenger side. I never move my seat it stays all the way back against the gas tank. So I did see the importance of the seat being adjustable? plus the wire hangs down right across the middle of the whole bench seat.and mine hung down like a inch. So by removing this wire I gained the much need height for the boxes. You sure dont have much to work with so any extra room is great.
If you look on the page I pasted obove there are printable plans you can go off of to see the basic shape that you'll need to make .....Higher in front and lower in back. You get the picture... My seat touches the boxes so i have them in there tight.My seat bolt holes lined right up when I put the bench back in..The higher position holes on the floor brackets for me.I wanted to use the lower holes but the boxes would have had to been even smaller. And i think there small enough...

Sounds fantastic....Screems good and bumps good when I want it too! The Alpine radio has great sound control to it..you can tweek it just perfect the way you like it. I didnt right down exact dimensions of my boxes cause I built it has I went sorta...but I can remember some of them I'll have to jot them down..I did have to make the passenger side box 1/2 inch shorter...front to back.....so it would fit behind the front seat floor bracket....for some reason the passenger side front floor bracket is closer to the center hump then the driverside... ..Im glad I set the drivers side box down on that side before I started on the second box.....

length and width driver side box...13"x18" Cant remember the height front and rear? but you'll want to use your own measurement for height cause your seat maybe mounted in different position then mine!

length and width passenger side box....13"x17 1/2"

height is the same on both boxes... front height and rear height.

also put on a new antenna... I used the original mounting hole on the drivers side cowl righ off the corner of windsheild.... Its a 14 inch rubber coated style...Doesnt look to bad...I bought this one at best buy for like $15... Went to autozone and they had a plethera of antennas there!...some nice chromed ones that look like originals! I might just go get one after all!

All I cant express how nice this thing sounds...My laundry room is between the garage and the kitchen so theres two doors to go threw to get in the kitchen from the garage......I pulled into garage with the volume on 16 i think? The songs was Got a brand new Girlfriend....keith urban??? Anyway my wife comes out into garage saying how loud it was inside the kitchen with both doors closed. The 6 inch speakers put off great bass And the 4x6's in the dash blast clear....Ive been picking out flutes and other wierd instruments in certain songs that i never heard in the song before! Im tickled pink about this system....Greatest improvement i think ive down to the truck....Much more in return on this job i guess.

Glad you guys like....I definitely love it on my end
Let me know if you need any help or hints

Cliff

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

tom-adc wrote:Cliff thanks for following through the install looks great and now has me thinking of something like that.
I had planned on just a cheapie AM/FM cassette simply because it fit in the original radio space, don't have any cassetes. but now its time to rethink that :Thumbsup
Man I cant express how much you need to get this Alpine head unit...Model 9856....I Paid $200 for mine at Best Buy. Cheaper online . The bass and treble adjustments alone makes it worth every penny. I was kinda freaking out about putting a hole in the dash also...But i dont really know why...Its not like i cant fix the hole if i ever wanted to...These dashes come out so easy. And i already have been looking at three 1/2 inch holes in the dash right "where i put the radio" for like the past 7 months! I was going to put it in the glove box but that would make it a pan in the @#% to be reaching over there all the time to change station or screw with volume...So i was like screw it... hole in dash here you come! Im glad i went the way i did...its within good reach from me and it looks right at home there on the face of the dash..I centered it right about the floor hump.

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

look's real good setting in there , turn it up as I 'am a little farther away then the two doors :lol:
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

Looks great! Have to give those speakers a go.

Thought I would share a discovery I made this week. I have been comtemplating the radio issue on both my trucks. I found a 2 post AM/FM Cassette radio at Wal-Mart this week for $27. While I hate giving Wal-mart a dime, it was the only one I could find. But the real bonus is that it has a auxilary input on the front! So I can plug my MiniDisc or any other MP3 player into it. Also, my minidisc is 1gb and has a tuner built in, so I don't even need the trucks old antenea, or to add one to the truck that didn't have a factory one. I don't see it on their website though.

Just a thought for those not wanting to cut their dash.

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tom-adc »

Didn't look real close but my local autozone did have a am/fm cassette player that will fit also in the same price range.
Doesn't someone make a speaker that will fit in the stock location?

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

Having a great sound system far outweights the hole in the dash! The hole can easly be welded back up...in the future if i need to...And there was the holes allready there for the original radio,which was gone..so instead of looking at holes in the dash everyday i decieded to put a newer radio there. I really wanted to try the Highdefiniton fm radio....So I picked the Alpine 9856 it is HD compatible.

And the mount for the two 4x6 was easy to make and it bolts up to the original mounting holes. Not sure if theres a direct fit speaker to use but making the mount was easy as pie and I wanted to use the 3 way 4x6's

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tom-adc »

Well I didn't go Alpine but picked up this Sony that came with 4 speakers the price is $95.00 plus tax I printed the info and showed the sales person the units were not on display but in the back.
I do plan on building a box for the 6 x 9's if I can make them fit.
http://walmart.scosche-cars.com/?referrer=wm

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

looks like that will work great.....When you make the boxes for the 6x9's You are short of room in that department so just measure and make them has large as you can. Im saying this again..Installing my sound system is by far the best improvement ive done to my truck so far....And ive done alot to my truck in the past 6 months....Shocks/springs/weatherstrip,disk brakes up front/tune up on motor/alternator/starter/horn/waterpump/fuelpump/speedo cable/wheels/ and lots of smaller stuff...Well i would say the disk brakes was a great improvement also ranks right up there with radio! lol anyway good luck and happy tunes in the future!...Cliff