ONE WIRE ALTERNATOR

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
weezer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Conway, SC

ONE WIRE ALTERNATOR

Post by weezer »

Did a search but didn't find what I was looking for. Question: If I install a one-wire alternator on a 1970 D100, what needs to be done with the existing / leftover wiring from the old alternator to the regulator and beyond? Is it simply disconnected or does some of it have to be re-used / re-routed? Thanks. W

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: ONE WIRE ALTERNATOR

Post by Jeffc »

you must wire in the old style regulator to use a old style one field wire alt. The later type of regulator that came with your truck will not work with a one field wire alt.
However, if you are talking about a late true one wire alt, with no field wire, all the old
field wires no longer are used and may be just wrapped up. If you are installing a late
type one wire alt (were the voltage reg is built in) you need to upgrade your primary feed wire from the alt to the battery to at least a 8 gauge wire, the old 10 gauge wire will cook, and you need to leave the power feed wire that enters the dash from the starter relay so everything except the alt gauge will
work right (the alt gauge will show a neg discarge, depends on load on how much of a discarge, but that is normal with out it hooked to the alt).
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

weezer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Conway, SC

Post by weezer »

Jeffc wrote: ...if you are talking about a late true one wire alt, with no field wire, all the old
field wires no longer are used and may be just wrapped up. If you are installing a late
type one wire alt (were the voltage reg is built in) you need to upgrade your primary feed wire from the alt to the battery to at least a 8 gauge wire, the old 10 gauge wire will cook, and you need to leave the power feed wire that enters the dash from the starter relay so everything except the alt gauge will
work right ...
And THAT is what I was looking for, friends! Many thanks to you, Jeff, and to all on this site. I am thrilled and amazed at the information I get from Sweptline. I would heve never gotten my '70 off the ground (literally!) without y'all! weezer

BCW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Indiana

Post by BCW »

I am changing the amp gauge to voltmeter on my 70 crew . I done a search and found were a guy used a first gen Dakoda gauge . Any other one someone has used . I am trying to stay with the gauge cluster.

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

i sent my cluster to redline to have the gauge converted and all the others calibrated. it turned out nice and works pretty well while still looking like an AMP gauge. it wasn't cheap but it was comparable to buying all new Autometers.

judging from the back side of the gauge i don't see why you couldn't do it your self...

Ben
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

BCW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Indiana

Post by BCW »

Thanks for the info. Sorry I did not mean to hijack this thread. I ment to start a new one . It was early in the morning must have been still asleep.