Wipers

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
ducman

Wipers

Post by ducman »

My '66 W200 had perfect wipers last time I used them, now all of a sudden they go fast on low speed (sometimes), they park in the middle of the window when I turn them off (sometimes) and generally act all screwed up. Is this a switch problem?

steven
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by steven »

You should lay off the 'shrooms :joker

I believe the switch sounds like it has corrosion. Someone else back me up
1967 Dodge D200 5.7 HEMI/5speed
1971 Dodge Challenger #'s 383/727
1974 Dodge D600 318 5+2
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins HO

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

i would be checking the grounds first. my 66 d100 did funky things till i added a ground wire from the wiper motor to the fire wall under the dash. :Thumbsup i would think switch second. the way those things ground sucks, try adding a ground wire and see if it behaves.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

ducman

wipers

Post by ducman »

OK Steve, so I should switch from schrooms to what?...
I will try the ground although it doesnt seem that likely to me since they have worked perfectly for the past 3 years. I'll let you know how it works out.

Blue67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

grounds first

Post by Blue67 »

ducman. What Trey said. My 66 does strange things with the wipers also. The parking problem (in the middle of the windshield :lol: ) sounds like a grounding problem at the wiper motor. It amazes me how many of the problems we encounter with our Sweptlines that are caused by poor grounds.
Can't address the switch problem that Steven talked about as mine is on or off. No high/low speeds. BUT the windshield gasket on mine leaks when it rains, causing the ashtray to fill up with water. Could be that water has got into the switch (right under the ash tray) and caused the corrosion Steve talked about.
Blue

ducman

wipers

Post by ducman »

Awesome, thanks you guys. I will dig around the wiper motor, clean it up and insure a good ground.
Thanks!

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

It's the body control module... oh no, wait... that's what's wrong with my LHS.
RANT! Wiper operation;
Combo switch sends signal to computer body control module. Module outputs to relay bank. Relays power wiper motor. ????????
What does all this get you? Really, really demonic posession type activity from the wipers.
end RANT.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

seabee, i have an LHS here in my yard that has great working wipers but a sun crank bearing. slide your engine into my body and you got less of a headache. LOLOL ill be willing to bet you could swap drivelines 3 times as fast as you could fix the wipers. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Better get used to it, Seebee. That's the way it's going to be from now on. The computer controls everything. I have a PT Cruiser and it's like that. What should be a simple problem can become a PITA.
1969 Adventurer W100

Blue67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

ouch

Post by Blue67 »

Seabee. I hear you man. What a pain. That's why if it has a computer it doesn't stay in my stable. Just wish I could convince the wife of that. Offered to buy her (yea right, her?) a 70 W200 383 4 spd with 4.10s and edelbrock manifold and carb I found for sale. Not interested. She wants a damn scooby doo wagon or something to take the dog for a ride and to bring me home pizza. I bet she gets one pretty soon. Because she spoils me a lot. But who is going to fix it when it breaks? Why is life not fair? I deserve a 70 W200. Really I do. I've been good. Or maybe not.
Blue :banghead :banghead :banghead

wally

Post by wally »

which way does the wiper motor mount? Motor rear end to the left (driver) or to the right (heater?) Thought I could remember this stuff. A real pain to move when the dash is all there, that's all.

Disco
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Disco »

my 66 has the motor end to the heater