Oil sending unit/light

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Roger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Loganville GA
State: GA

Oil sending unit/light

Post by Roger »

My oil pressure light doesn't work, There is no wire conneceted to the sending unit. I found a yellow wire with no connector on it that will reach.
And the orange wire that the wiring diagram says is hooked to the temp. sending unit with a different connector which works fine.
Which is this wire. I haven't checked the bulb to make sure its good. But if I hook up the yellow wire to the sending unit the light still does'nt come on. If this is the correct wire let me know.
Thanks,
Roger
Roger, '65 4 eyed short bed.

Thomas
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Grand Forks
State: ND

Post by Thomas »

That should be the correct wire. I'm pretty colorblind but I think my wire is yellow (plus it's really dirty). On mine it is wrapped along with everything that is on its way to the alt. I'd say check the bulb/fuse. I disconnected mine to install a pressure unit and the light would come on every time it touched bare metal so you might try that as well as the sending unit just to test the circuit/bulb.
1968 D100 318 727 373

Someday I'll have a whole quonset full of Dodge Trucks....

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

i would be suspect of the bulb and or the connection to the back of the gauge for ground. thats the right wire, and it should come on with the key on and the engine not running. unless the sending unit is stuck open. you might just try grounding that yellow wire to the fire wall and see if your light burns. if it does, then your sender is bad. id check around and get a mechanical gauge. they are still around to be had, and they are real easy to swap out.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

duracell
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Peoria,Arizona

Post by duracell »

:goodpost what he said
as always and sometimes not,steve

Roger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Loganville GA
State: GA

Post by Roger »

Its probably the bulb, I changed the sending unit awhile back because it was leaking, but no wire was hooked up to it. The connector on the yellow wire would not fit the sending unit. just wanting to be sure before I shorted something out.
Thanks guys! :Thumbsup
Roger, '65 4 eyed short bed.