H4 Headlight upgrade

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Re: H4 Headlight upgrade

Post by Cageman »

If the bulbs have any tint to them at all, they will not be as bright, the blue tint filters some of the light. I was doing some reading today, and it turns out the higher the wattage, the dimmer the light will be, as our trucks wires are too small, and the lack of relays makes it worse. We compare the new bulbs to our old bulbs that get dimmer over time and we think we have it made, but no one takes new bulbs out to put these in and compares them to each other.

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Parker
State: CO

Post by 40YearOldFury »

oklamopar wrote:I like the new headlights.
Can they accept a HID's
True HID lights need a transformer to generate such brightness. They have kits that have HID bulbs and transformers that fit in the H4 case.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by jimmy »

My truck had Sylvania halogen bulbs that are not very old (1.5years). I have also rewired my truck from bumper to bumper 2 years ago using a painles kit. I use a one wire alternator W/regulator.
So your correct, some may not see as big of a diferance as I did. They are way better than the bulbs I removed.
I'm still going to add relays like you suggest.

oklamopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Midwest City OK
State: OK

Post by oklamopar »

40YearOldFury wrote:
Can they accept a HID's
True HID lights need a transformer to generate such brightness. They have kits that have HID bulbs and transformers that fit in the H4 case.
Then I found my next mod. WooHoo

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by robertob »

oklamopar wrote:
40YearOldFury wrote:
Can they accept a HID's
Then I found my next mod. WooHoo

Yes but they don't work that well, read up on it. The only ones that really work (i.e. don't blind people and are brighter than Halogen) are really expensive.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... sions.html

oklamopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Midwest City OK
State: OK

Post by oklamopar »

Nice info. Guess I'll do more research. Dang was looking forward to a nice bright drive. Oh well.

CaptKyle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Houston/Texas

Post by CaptKyle »

And don't foget the most important part, headlight adjustment plays a major part in all this, good lights mean noththing if not adjusted right.

Kyle

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Post by Cageman »

I just bought some ebay HID conversion bulbs, I got them today and I put them in. Five minutes worth of driving with them, I got pulled over, I guess green tint isnt legal here! 20 dollar ticket. I sure liked the green tint, lol Now it has to come out. The HID is a wierd deal, has a ballast that has to be wired in. It otherwise plugged right in, Long term on these, Im not sure yet. Im also wondering what the ballast will be like when it is 40 below. Time will tell. Wasnt all that expensive.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

Cool!
Don't know how well they work when it's cold, I've never heard about anyone complaining. Of course it doesn't get that cold hear.
Zero is all we see and its rare.

All- In the link above its very important to realize the article is talking about HID's retro fitted in other lens, not H4 bulbs & lenses replaceing 7" round bulbs.. Don't believe everything you read either. The writer makes alot for claimes, and uses DOT and Europe standards (He probabply Sells stuff that is getting beat by HID's). We see what great job out government / DOT does for us, you deside. I see new cars/trucks every morning the have the most blinding lights from the factory.

I'm still loving the H4's. I let a good friend of mine drive my truck the other day at night and he notice the huge differance right away. One of these days I'll install the relays. SO far I haven't had one person high beam me or flash thier lights at me, so they must not be bothering others.
Last edited by jimmy on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

HellBelly
Founder
Founder
City: Dallas
State: TX

Post by HellBelly »

Loving my blue H4's, they match the blue truck. Green color huh? Interesting...

demulsion
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bremerton

Post by demulsion »

jimmy wrote:All- In the link above its very important to realize the article is talking about HID's retro fitted in other lens, not H4 bulbs & lenses replacing 7" round bulbs.
Correct, but the lack of quality and design work can apply to the cheap H4 'kits' available on Ebay and elsewhere, just the same.
Don't believe everything you read either.
Agreed. I prefer to do a little research about the person that wrote it, and found out that Mr. Stern happens to really know his stuff. From what I have seen, he has the facts/tests/data to stand behind what he says. I gleaned a bit of knowledge just poking around his web site.
I'm still loving the H4's. I let a good friend of mine drive my truck the other day at night and he notice the huge difference right away.
I am looking forward to installing an H4 setup on my daily driver '76 Dart soon. Even more so after reading reports like yours!

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

I just ordered the relays from Amazon, I'll report back with how much if any better they are. The relays are for up to 100 watt bulbs. I don't have any plans of using bulbs that are not DOT, but the relays should help save my headlight swich. Anything else at this point is a bonus.

Ageed! Quality is key to just about anything, Look at all the problems I had with cheap Summit Brand stuff.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

I installed the Putco Relays, don't see much change, maybe alittle. I feel better knowing I won't fry my headlight swich and end up stranded.
Those of you installing on original wiring will probably notice much more differance than I did.