H4 Headlight upgrade

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

H4 Headlight upgrade

Post by jimmy »

I bought Autopal headlights from Amazon. I scored them on sale for $36/pair. reg. price is $99/pair.
The claim from most brands is you gain nearly 50% better / brighter road coverage. The kit comes with glass lens and H4 60/50 watt dot bulbs. (some kits don't come with bulbs). I just picked a brand that had the correct price, I don't know enuf about them to recomend.
They install simply by removing old lights and placing new glass housing in bucket same as old light. No wiring, just plug in.

I like the look then I drove and fell in love.
Attachments
IMG_6785.JPG
IMG_6781.JPG
IMG_6783.JPG

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Re: H4 Headlight upgrade

Post by Cageman »

I have them in my valiant, and my diesel dude. My valiant are plastic lenses, dude has glass, I have went through four sets of them in my truck, as in over 50,000 miles, they dont take rocks too well. I dont think I have paid over 20 bucks for them on ebay. The first set that little thing in the middle fell out, what a pain that was. Luckily both screws that hold that thing in were sitting in the bottom of my grille. Ill blame it on the cummins shaking, lol.
As for brightness, I didnt think so till I put relays in, then it was night and day.

1964ShortyD100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lake Oconee
State: GA

Post by 1964ShortyD100 »

Cageman wrote:As for brightness, I didnt think so till I put relays in, then it was night and day.
What relays did you use? If you don't mind sharing.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

I didn't install any relay in mine. But they are much better that the halogon sealed beams that I removed.
I'll see how they last. They don't use rocks on the roads in the winter anymore around here.

Cageman - What brand/s are you using? Wander if some are better than others? I looked at them on ebay, but I don't ahve an acount.

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Those look great. I have had the Hella H4s in my truck for many years and never a problem, a nice up-grade. :Thumbsup

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Parker
State: CO

Post by 40YearOldFury »

I used the AutoPal lights too. They were glass lens. They are a little flatter than the sealed beams as far as the curve of the glass but so much brighter and not as washed out. I think I got the DOT ones. Be very careful using them without a relay though. They pull allot more amperage than a standard sealed beam and can fry wires and the light switch. The relay will also make them brighter!!!

HellBelly
Founder
Founder
City: Dallas
State: TX

Post by HellBelly »

I had these on my blue truck when i bought it. LOVED them. When the voltage regulator went out, it fried one of the bulbs.

Couldn't find a quick replacement except out of Hong Kong, so i swapped back. I haven't looked real hard, hope i can find the blue bulb replacement or complete units.

Do you have a link to the ones on Amazon?

My headlights put out a blue hue and it looked killer with the blue truck!
011.JPG

HellBelly
Founder
Founder

Post by HellBelly »

What kind of relay are you guys using? Brand/Part number/link. Just want to make sure i get the right one.

Sounds like i need to install a relay when i get new ones.

Scott

HellBelly
Founder
Founder

Post by HellBelly »

Heck YEA!!! Here are the blue ones!! Bought them! Now i need to know what relay you guys are using and where is goes etc..

http://www.amazon.com/AutoPal-Crystal-C ... 129&sr=8-3

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 40YearOldFury »

I have installed 3 of these bulb kits using this harness I think...I can't find a detail of my transaction through Amazon. I'm pretty sure this is the one though. If I remember, this particular harness might be a little short to install on our trucks. I have one in the garage waiting to go on my 65, I can stretch it out later today and let you know...that is if it's not snowing again. http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004HW-Pr ... f_ee_p_t_1

I measured this harness and it's about 66 inches from right headlight connector to left headlight connector.
Last edited by 40YearOldFury on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by robertob »

40YearOldFury wrote:I have installed 3 of these bulb kits using this harness I think...I can't find a detail of my transaction through Amazon. I'm pretty sure this is the one though. If I remember, this particular harness might be a little short to install on our trucks. I have one in the garage waiting to go on my 65, I can stretch it out later today and let you know...that is if it's not snowing again. http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004HW-Pr ... f_ee_p_t_1
There is a guy on ebay that sells 'do it yourself' kits with really nice connectors and relays. I bought one from him and I'm happy with it. A lot of the cheaper kits have crappy relays, I prefer Tyco or Bosch or Hella.

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 40YearOldFury »

robertob wrote:
40YearOldFury wrote:I have installed 3 of these bulb kits using this harness I think...I can't find a detail of my transaction through Amazon. I'm pretty sure this is the one though. If I remember, this particular harness might be a little short to install on our trucks. I have one in the garage waiting to go on my 65, I can stretch it out later today and let you know...that is if it's not snowing again. http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004HW-Pr ... f_ee_p_t_1
There is a guy on ebay that sells 'do it yourself' kits with really nice connectors and relays. I bought one from him and I'm happy with it. A lot of the cheaper kits have crappy relays, I prefer Tyco or Bosch or Hella.
Do you have a shortcut to the guy's Ebay store or something? I have not had an issue with the Putco kits at all but I like the good relays as well.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

Hellbelly - Sorry I didn't have time to get the link, looks like you found the lights I got. Can't you just buy blue bulbs? seems like auto parts store have them?

All- I installed a compleate modern wiring kit in the truck two years ago, do I need a relay? I used a one wire alernator also.
Appears that you only need to use relay if your not using DOT bulbs? and no I dont care if people arn't using DOT bulbs. I just asking the question.
DOT bulbs from what I see are something like 50/60 watt. The off road bulbs are one hundred or more watts.

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 40YearOldFury »

jimmy wrote:Hellbelly - Sorry I didn't have time to get the link, looks like you found the lights I got. Can't you just buy blue bulbs? seems like auto parts store have them?

All- I installed a compleate modern wiring kit in the truck two years ago, do I need a relay? I used a one wire alernator also.
Appears that you only need to use relay if your not using DOT bulbs? and no I dont care if people arn't using DOT bulbs. I just asking the question.
DOT bulbs from what I see are something like 50/60 watt. The off road bulbs are much more watt.
I guess that would depend on the size of wire going to the headlights and how the current gets there. I think some of the kits use a relay by default for the headlights, horns and other high amp circuits.
I think to figure out how many amps something pulls is: AMPS=Watts x2 (both bulbs)/voltage So you would be pulling 10 amps for the headlights if you are running the 60 Watt bulbs. Here is a guide to see if you are running heavy enough wire. http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.com/gage.html

I'm thinking the factory bulbs are rated at 50/60 Watts as well so you should be OK...They are pulling no more power than the factory bulbs. Using a relay will make the brighter though.

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by robertob »

It's a little more complicated than that - every incandescent bulb puts out light in direct relation to the voltage at the terminals. So the more voltage, the more light. A relay just reduces the voltage drop between the battery and the bulb, giving you more light for 'free'.

The higher the wattage of the bulb, the more current it draws, and the more voltage drop you get at the bulb. So if you step up to 100w bulbs from the factory 50 (actually aren't DOT bulbs less than that, like 35w??) you won't get the benefit of the higher wattage without improving the wiring.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

I've been asking other about this also; just as you guys have said the relays protect the headlight switch, and provide direct feed to the headlights. Everyone is saying with the relays I will improve on what I have. Now it makes sence.

thanks;

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Post by Cageman »

I got one set of relays out of a 90's s10, and another out of a 2000's ford fedex truck, as it had rubber covers over them, and I liked that on my powerwagon. I think I was only getting like 10 volts at the headlight bulbs before I did it, and now I get 14 some when it is running, exact battery volt when not running. That makes a huge difference.
I have a charging issue and both low beams have burned out in my diesel, it is spiking to 16 volts for some reason. I have yet to find the three prong h4 bulbs local, so ebay is where Ill buy em, and they are only like 12 dollars for two, so I might just buy another set of headlights for 20, and just keep them for spares, I put alot of highway miles on a year, so Ill need em.
Basically you need two relays, you take the power wire from the low beam to power actiavate the low beam relay, which connects a wire right from the battery to your lights when your lights are turned on, all the headlight switch has to run now is the dash lights, and I suppose tail lights. The high beam wire actiavtes the other relay. Pretty simple.

JeffTheMarine
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by JeffTheMarine »

I have seen these on several old vehicles and I have always wanted to get one but I have never been able to find who sells them. Amazon it is. Looks great!

Jeff

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

It had snowed last night about one inch and was snowing on the way to work this morning.
I just keep loving the headlights more and more. I have not installed relays yet, but will soon.
Last edited by jimmy on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oklamopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Midwest City OK
State: OK

Post by oklamopar »

I like the new headlights.
Can they accept a HID's