fried something need help fast

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
rigrunner
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: ararat
State: NC

fried something need help fast

Post by rigrunner »

installed a new turn signal cam and i was testing the brake lights before re installing and managed to ground a wire to the coulumn and fried something. i now have both brake lights but the right turn sig not working and the left turn indicator and the left front turn signal are not working. what could i have burned? :banghead

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Re: fried something need help fast

Post by wally426ci »

Fuse or flasher relay? :thinking

I was hoping that you were talking about chicken when i read the title.... :joker

rigrunner
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rigrunner »

cant find any blown fuses. switched the turn signal flasher w/ the hazard flasher and still same thing. all the hazard lights work including the indicator light on the dash for the left turn signal. cant find any fried wires. completely lost! thinkin about re-wiring it. it doesnt make sense for the hazard lights to all work but not the turn signals. any more help would be appreciated! thanks!

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Did you blow out the filament in the bulbs? How 'bout a bad signal flasher?

rigrunner
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rigrunner »

thought about that i used the flasher from my hazard lights and got the same results bu i can turn on the hazards and they work fine including the indicator light on the dash. i checked all the wire even pulled the instrument cluster and cant find a short anywhere. makes no since to me the hazards work fine but when i use the turn signals i get lft rear and right front and no indicator for the left light

EGroscup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Escondido
State: CA

Post by EGroscup »

My thought is that the turn signal switch is cooked. it is the same wire, same bulb filiment for brake and turn, so if both brake lights operate correctlyand the turn signal doesn't, that leaves the switch as the culprit. sorry, Erik

rigrunner
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rigrunner »

thought that too but wouldnt all the turn signals also not be working not just one on each side? i checked at the turn signal wiring connector and all seems fine there got rained out gonna try again tommorow thanks

rigrunner
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rigrunner »

would the turn signal switch make part of the blinkers work and not the others. cant find any shorts of blown fuses just want a few more opinions before buyin a new one.

EGroscup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by EGroscup »

Yes, the turn signal has separate circuits and contacts inside for the front and rear signals. Front and rear turn signals on a side are actually two independent circuits. The front flashes whenever it is told to and that is it. The rears flash when told to but also when you are not signaling a turn it lets the signal from the brake light switch through the same wires to give you brake lights. Keeping it two circuits like this prevents the fronts from illuminating when you step on the brakes. Hope this helps, Erik

rigrunner
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rigrunner »

thanks for the info it definitly makes sence i took the switch apart and it looks ok but im gonna order a new one from rock auto in a coulple of weeks they have them and shipped its less than 80 dollars.

69Adventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Dallas
State: TX

Post by 69Adventurer »

I bought mine from Rockauto too and it worked great. :Thumbsup

I also had an issue similar to yours, I had front turn signals and running lights,
rear running lights and brake lights, but no turn signals! come to find out a wire
melted inside the turn signal switch between the two plastic housings causing
all my problems. It took my voltmeter, a week, and a whole lotta cuss words
till I figured it out. :lol:

rigrunner
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rigrunner »

noticed my horns not working either and the fuse is blown. does anyone know what else is on the same fuse?

rigrunner
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rigrunner »

received my new turn signal switch from rock auto after 2 days of the order awesome. worked perfectly. now my horn and interior light still are not working fueses look good any help please. :clap

EGroscup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by EGroscup »

Single horn or two horns? The circuits are different. As for the interior light, you should have power all of the time at one bulb terminal, the other side gets grounded through the door or headlight switch to complete the circuit and make the light go. erik

rigrunner
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rigrunner »

got the hron working just cleaned the plate at the steering wheel now need to check the bulb for the light i guess. funny how it all worked before the signal switch.