amp gauge question for mopar gurus

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

amp gauge question for mopar gurus

Post by Kaegi »

My amp gauge does not work in the D300. it does not read low when loads are put on the system or igher when charging like it should. Is it true with mopars that when the amp gauge fails the system will not charge? i.e. not let the the charge thru to the batttery?

junior
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: san bernardino
State: CA

Re: amp gauge question for mopar gurus

Post by junior »

Start the engine and after a few minutes,remove the neg. battery cable.If the engine stops,it is not charging,but it would be the alternator,not the gage. Your gauge is probably defective or the connections are loose or corroded. One side + I think goes to battery at your starter relay switch.The - side goes to the alternator. Disconnect the battery and clean ALL the connections with sand paper or a small wire brush. If the amp gauge works,that was your problem.If not,you may need another gauge. Removing the fuses from the fuse box and spraying the terminals with WD-40 and scrapping them clean with a small screw driver can be another option. :2cents

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Post by chilort »

It may have been bypassed at some point. The amp gauge can't handle all that much of a load. And the wiring to it is on the small side. I don't know how long you've had the truck but it could be that a previous owner simply bypassed the gauge (possibly installed bigger wire too) in order to eliminate a known failure point especially if they added a number of electric parts. Just one of the many possibilities.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Kaegi »

NOpe I installed the gauge panel and all wires are in great original condition. that is why i think its the gauge. 61s do not even have a fuse box like the later trucks so fuse is out. Unless it has an inline fuse I am not aware of. back to manual diagram! if the gauge worked and the alternator or regulator did not the gauge should show discharge. that is what makes me think gauge is bad.

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

I'm not a big fan of pulling a battery cable while the engine is running. The battery is the load for the alternator. If you unhook it the alternator output can possibly "spike" and damage something. Definitely never do it on late model computerized cars. I suggest tht you check the alternator buy using a voltmeter and checking the voltage at the battery when the truck is running just after starting it up. The voltage should be about 12.5 to about 14 volts if the charging system is working properly. It's also quicker and easier than unhooking a cable.
1969 Adventurer W100

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Kaegi »

already did the cable trick it is not charging. so back to original question if gauge is bad will it stop charging? I think so but not sure on this design.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

Correct. If the ammeter has an open circuit the alternator won't properly charge the battery. To test place both wires onto the same post of the gauge, then start the vehicle & do the cable removal test. If it keeps running you have found your problem. If it still dies then the charging problem is elsewhere, but gauge may still not be functional.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Kaegi »

Being the super genius that i am I went to the truck opened the hood and had it fixed to less than one minute! it helps if the dang fan belt is tight! DOH! :banghead the nut onthe anchor bolt for the alt was missing and the anchor bolt on the adjustment bar was loose. so between the 2 the belt totally slacked off.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Russ wrote:I'm not a big fan of pulling a battery cable while the engine is running. The battery is the load for the alternator. If you unhook it the alternator output can possibly "spike" and damage something. Definitely never do it on late model computerized cars. I suggest tht you check the alternator buy using a voltmeter and checking the voltage at the battery when the truck is running just after starting it up. The voltage should be about 12.5 to about 14 volts if the charging system is working properly. It's also quicker and easier than unhooking a cable.
if your altenator & regulator is working properly their is no spike's, the regulator will only send whats needed to the system, thats the good part of pre 1980 vehicles you can drive them without a battery, for once its started the altenator provides all current for the vehicle to run and it only give a surface charge back to the battery to replinish what was used, the voltage needed to fire the plugs and play your radio, headlights and etc. are the load, the battery should be finished recharging within the 1st 3 minutes, thats why your needle will be straight up on your guage or slighly to the charge side. I just drove the 65 from Colorado Springs to Lakewood like that, just don't shut it off if its an automatic, standards you can pop the clutch and off you go :dance

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Kaegi wrote:Being the super genius that i am I went to the truck opened the hood and had it fixed to less than one minute! it helps if the dang fan belt is tight! DOH! :banghead the nut onthe anchor bolt for the alt was missing and the anchor bolt on the adjustment bar was loose. so between the 2 the belt totally slacked off.
at least you found it without more headache :Thumbsup

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

Rules for seeing if the alt gauge has failed if wires are stock in any 60's mopar.......
Rule one.....
if you can turn the key on and you can start the engine the amp guage is working :lol:
if you can't then ether the gauge has failed or your not getting power to the gauge......

in being around and owning old mopars 60's and 70's for 40 years (granted my own are pretty stock without a
lot of add "stuff") I have never, ever, had a amp guage fail yet...... keep your alt's under
75amps in the stock systems and your pretty safe, go higher with out system upgrades
and add a lot of power eating stuff and you will cook things.....

Keep your wire in good shape, clean all contections- hot and grounds- saves a lot of problems
at are common.....
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Kaegi »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:
Russ wrote:I'm not a big fan of pulling a battery cable while the engine is running. The battery is the load for the alternator. If you unhook it the alternator output can possibly "spike" and damage something. Definitely never do it on late model computerized cars. I suggest tht you check the alternator buy using a voltmeter and checking the voltage at the battery when the truck is running just after starting it up. The voltage should be about 12.5 to about 14 volts if the charging system is working properly. It's also quicker and easier than unhooking a cable.
if your altenator & regulator is working properly their is no spike's, the regulator will only send whats needed to the system, thats the good part of pre 1980 vehicles you can drive them without a battery, for once its started the altenator provides all current for the vehicle to run and it only give a surface charge back to the battery to replinish what was used, the voltage needed to fire the plugs and play your radio, headlights and etc. are the load, the battery should be finished recharging within the 1st 3 minutes, thats why your needle will be straight up on your guage or slighly to the charge side. I just drove the 65 from Colorado Springs to Lakewood like that, just don't shut it off if its an automatic, standards you can pop the clutch and off you go :dance
RE compression starting. you can compression start GM Ford and Mopar automatics up till about 1964. they all had rear pumps. you got be rolling at least 30 to 40 for it to work. I got a wet distributor in my first car, 64 impala. up at Stevens Pass and had to compression start it coming dow the pass a bunch of times till it dried out. works like charm. i have done ti with 63 riviera, and 63 Caddy maybe a few others too.