Rear Brake lines...

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Outlaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Antone
State: TX

Rear Brake lines...

Post by Outlaw »

So the e-brake lines (i think) seem to have a special fitment inside the backing plate. It had a plastic piece that went inside the backing plate and then flared out. From that, a wire poked through to connect to the brakes. (i know, horrible description, i'm new at this). This was a pain to remove. Where can I get a new one or are they universal? i don't want to wire up my e-brake yet, but since i'm about to assemble everything i guess now would be the time to put that cable in.. If i'm not describing it very well, i can post pics...

I was also thinking of doing hydrolic lock line instead of an e-brake but thats just an idear....? Anything i need to do while i have the rear brakes apart and all new inner pieces? oil/lube/advice/thoughts/ideas/help...?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Rear Brake lines...

Post by Hobcobble »

Outlaw wrote:So the e-brake lines (i think) seem to have a special fitment inside the backing plate. It had a plastic piece that went inside the backing plate and then flared out. From that, a wire poked through to connect to the brakes. (i know, horrible description, i'm new at this). This was a pain to remove. Where can I get a new one or are they universal? i don't want to wire up my e-brake yet, but since i'm about to assemble everything i guess now would be the time to put that cable in.. If i'm not describing it very well, i can post pics...

I was also thinking of doing hydrolic lock line instead of an e-brake but thats just an idear....? Anything i need to do while i have the rear brakes apart and all new inner pieces? oil/lube/advice/thoughts/ideas/help...?
I believe the original keeper on the e-brake housing that locks itself against the inside
of the backing plate would have been metal. Sounds like someone might have replaced
these cables/housings already? You might check with a NAPA or other major parts outlet
for these cables/housings. The length of the exposed cable from the backing plate to the
arm on the brake shoe is important..... just as the outside length from backing plate to
the frame bracket is.... so I'm not too sure about a "universal" part.

You should check the contact points [3] on the backing plate where the metal edge of each
shoe rests for a pronounced worn "ridge". When the backing plate gets worn to that point,
you risk the shoes binding and not working properly. Put some hi-temp type lubricant on
each contact point. A FSM should point out what the proper lubricant should be. :2cents
John

Outlaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Outlaw »

I didn't realise the outside length was that important for the ebrake...I looked at that inner ebrak holder/spline thing and it was metal, just old and worn out. I'll check out Napa later today and find out.

Outlaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Outlaw »

Urgh....so, Napa, Auto Zone, O'Rielly's, or the local place carry/can order the e-brake cables. Napa showed me the pic in the computer & old part number but can no longlonger order them....so now what? I was wanting new cables & I can't finish this rear axle without them. ill use the old one if I have to but I ruined the drivers side when I removed it...

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

Outlaw wrote:Urgh....so, Napa, Auto Zone, O'Rielly's, or the local place carry/can order the e-brake cables. Napa showed me the pic in the computer & old part number but can no longlonger order them....so now what? I was wanting new cables & I can't finish this rear axle without them. ill use the old one if I have to but I ruined the drivers side when I removed it...
Try Amazon.com, Dorman and AC Delco make them. http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder/sl ... e=15722001

Outlaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Outlaw »

I went to the Dorman, Bruin, AC Delco, and Summit web sites. I also called each of those vendors and none of which sell parking/emergency brake cables for a 1967 Dodge D100.

:banghead

Does an e-brake cable from a different Dodge w/the same axle work?

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nytemuvr »

Outlaw wrote:I went to the Dorman, Bruin, AC Delco, and Summit web sites. I also called each of those vendors and none of which sell parking/emergency brake cables for a 1967 Dodge D100.

:banghead

Does an e-brake cable from a different Dodge w/the same axle work?
Sorry didn't know what year truck you have, I have a '68 and that's what they listed to fit. I haven't measured them as I'm not looking for any, just happened on to those in the link to see if they were available after seeing your post. Amazon might have old stock, they used to have their own car parts inventory in years passed and I bought a lot of stuff from them. They have these listed for a '67 D100 or am I missing something? They are usually referred to as parking brakes, not emergency brakes. It says on Amazon that most those cables interchange with '63s to '68s. http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder/sl ... 4543050011

Outlaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Outlaw »

I was affraid to order them, thinking the lines aren't made any more....? I'm feeling a lil apprehensive but I just ordered them. Hopefully they'll work and I'll get them quickly so I can finally finish up this rear axle! Thanks for posting the links and looking for me! :salut

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gifford
State: WA

Post by RAYMAN »

I do know that the pasengers side cable is longer than the drivers side, i had to order a used one from sweptline parts like a year ago. If you can send me some picks of the cables i can tell you if they are junk or not.

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nytemuvr »

Outlaw wrote:I was affraid to order them, thinking the lines aren't made any more....? I'm feeling a lil apprehensive but I just ordered them. Hopefully they'll work and I'll get them quickly so I can finally finish up this rear axle! Thanks for posting the links and looking for me! :salut
They have been out of a couple of things I ordered, but only a couple of things. They're easy to deal with and you won't be out anything if they don't have them. About half the automotive stuff is cheaper than I can find from car parts stores. I bought all the stuff to do my brakes from them a year ago. I do double check with other suppliers as the database the stores use (think they use the same) are not always correct for our trucks. Good luck, it prompted me to check my cables in front of my rear axels for availability. It's weird, I have a cousin in Spokane and an Aunt and Uncle in Colville, the post from Rayman.

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RAYMAN »

Wow Its really a small world isnt it nytemuvr I may know your aunt and uncle. Who are they. Its nice to know im not the only guy on here who knows were colville is. I think theres only a few guys who know were it is and theres not that many WA guys on here. :lol:

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nytemuvr »

RAYMAN wrote:Wow Its really a small world isnt it nytemuvr I may know your aunt and uncle. Who are they. Its nice to know im not the only guy on here who knows were colville is. I think theres only a few guys who know were it is and theres not that many WA guys on here. :lol:
It was Colbert, not Colville...south about a hour I guess of you. My folks(85 & 80) are road tripping up to see another Aunt then to play golf in Coeur A'dalene(Grandma lived there back in the 80s and died there too). It was a great stop over driven cross country. Freaks me out, my ole man still has a lead foot. Nice up there this time of year, but I used to carry freight cross-country and I know what it's like in the winter too. Been over a hundred for last couple of weeks here in No. CA, to hot to ride the bike even.

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RAYMAN »

Yep it was 102 yesterday and i was stuck outside workin on a hay bailer. That sucked. The winters are not to bad aslong as you have a good swepty with a good heater. My plow truck will bake you out of the cab. :lol:

Outlaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Outlaw »

Its never too hot to ride a bike. Don't listen to Ray, the winters here suck but i'm also from the South. :lol: There is some pretty country up here but i'll stick to my sweet tea lovin southerners!

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nytemuvr »

Outlaw wrote:Its never too hot to ride a bike. Don't listen to Ray, the winters here suck but i'm also from the South. :lol: There is some pretty country up here but i'll stick to my sweet tea lovin southerners!
Well I left Phoenix one time visiting my brother in the early 80s and it was 118 degrees when I left at sundown, pre-helmet days at least, that was damn hot. Straight 60 wt. oil was like alcohol. At least I didn't put a windshield on until I was 55, 5 years past the age I said I would. They only lasted a couple of months, just didn't feel right. I live north of Sacramento and it get's pretty hot as I lived most my life closer to the coast, even for the river roads for me to ride. I'm old, I like rototiller handlebars..... http://www.wild1inc.com/517ncm.html
Those Bruin cables look pretty nice if they have them, wish I had the extra cash. Let me know how those cables are, they look pretty sweet with the thick rubber on them.
Mike

Outlaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Outlaw »

nytemuvr,

Thats funny you mentioned windshields. I've told myself the same thing but when I moved up here to Washington, I've been debating on getting one for the winter months. For handlebars, right now I have drag bars but switching to 18" apes. I'm just waiting for winter before i break the bike down to put them on. I like the Wild1 bars but I don't like how wide/far out their bars go, causes too much back pain for me. I need a narrow bar, something about 28" wide for grips. Wild1 usually goes to about 35".

I'll be sure to let you know about the brake cables as well.

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nytemuvr »

Outlaw wrote:nytemuvr,

Thats funny you mentioned windshields. I've told myself the same thing but when I moved up here to Washington, I've been debating on getting one for the winter months. For handlebars, right now I have drag bars but switching to 18" apes. I'm just waiting for winter before i break the bike down to put them on. I like the Wild1 bars but I don't like how wide/far out their bars go, causes too much back pain for me. I need a narrow bar, something about 28" wide for grips. Wild1 usually goes to about 35".

I'll be sure to let you know about the brake cables as well.
I called wild 1 and told the guy I wanted the most rotortiller type handlebars they had....he didn't like the way I worded it, got all offensive on me. The ones he suggested was the Road Glide ones(31" wide, their narrowest)....there are as close as I could get to my (stolen, owned since new in '81) shovelhead FXWG stock bars.