Rear axle and suspension?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
ramchargerheaven
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Dillon
State: MT

Rear axle and suspension?

Post by ramchargerheaven »

I'm new to the forum and was wondering what upgrades are usually done on the rear axle and suspension? I have a 62 D100, that I want to turn into a street rod for my wife. I'm looking at an IFS setup and newer drivetrain. What is a good rear axle to put in that has the 5x5.5 bolt pattern and can be adapted for disc brakes? 8 3/4, dana 60 ??? I'm thinking of going with a 5.7 hemi, so we are looking at 275-300 or so rear wheel horsepower.

Also for the guys who went with IFS or updated front suspension, what is a good way to go on the rear? Since I can't drive this thing faster than 45 at the moment, I can't really tell how it handles at speed. Is the old leaf spring suspension good enough, or should I move up to something like a 4 link?

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Re: Rear axle and suspension?

Post by nfury8 »

Welcome! a 9.25" would be a better choice over the 8.75", they were used in the early to mid
80's under Dodge trucks with the 5x5.5" pattern. Not sure if the 8.75" was ever used in that pattern.
The 9.25" or even the 8.75" will be strong enough. Lots of 8.75" rears living very happily behind
more powerful big blocks on the street.

Good springs and shocks should be fine. However bags and a 4 link might help you get the ride
height where you want it easier. A 9.25" from a car would have the spring parches on the bottom
and also help get the rear down.
71 D100 Adventurer SE - PowerWagon conversion
70 W200 CrewCab - Urban Assault Kiddie Hauler
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Pro Touring Machine
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Beater, Hiding in a cave

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Rear axle and suspension?

Post by soopernaut »

nfury8 wrote: Not sure if the 8.75" was ever used in that pattern.
On 4 wheel drives they did.