installing disk brake set

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Paris/Texas

installing disk brake set

Post by juddoats »

when installing my rear disc brake set....are the disk supposted to "flop" around where they set until i get my brake lines ran and get preasure on the line? just making sure im not doing anything wrong
thanks
Judd

fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Firestone
State: CO

Re: installing disk brake set

Post by fosh69 »

those rotors should fit flush with the hub/axle flange... slide them on and use a couple lug nuts to snug them up. Rotate the disc and make sure they don't wobble any. If they don't fit flush and snug you've got issues.
4eye 69

OO\===/OO

juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Paris/Texas

Post by juddoats »

im sorry i didnt mean disks...i meant the brake pads themselves...they set in a slot and they "flop" in there and i am hoping it is supposted to do this until you get all the brake plumbing done and press the brakes to tighten them up???

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

If the calipers are fully retracted, there should be a little excess clearance between the pads, caliper
and disc. When pumped up they will move out and contact the disc. In normal operation the pads float
right next to the rotor when not energized, they never fully retract like drum shoes. Drum brakes use
springs to pull the shoes back.

Drums use the adjuster to keep the shoes close to the drum. Calipers just keep moving the pads in
as they wear. This is why the fluid level will not change in a drum system and why discs may appear
to slowly lose fluid. It is also important to be careful when putting on new pads if the reservoir has
recently been topped off. When the caliper is fully retracted again for the new pads, it can overflow
the reservoir. Drums don't have this issue.
71 D100 Adventurer SE - PowerWagon conversion
70 W200 CrewCab - Urban Assault Kiddie Hauler
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Pro Touring Machine
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Beater, Hiding in a cave