The kingpins are finally in!

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

The kingpins are finally in!

Post by wally426ci »

Finally got some stuff accomplished on the truck. It wasnt bad at all. Slipped my buddy $60 to help me press and ream. My cheapest price anywhere else was $120 which I think was Kooky. :shame I went with the washer bearing setup b/c thats what it came with. I do wonder if I should have gone ball bearing but too late now. I used the sliver shims that came with the kit even though one tried to cut my finger off. :pale I basically used 4 shims, 1 on each end at the spindle. It may not have need them, but I got them into place and figured it wouldnt hurt. A major PITA to line up though.

Now, I dont know if this is common, but I had the exact same problem that rd200 had. I took a ride and it STILL banged through every bump. So i get home and jump up and down on the front bumper and see the body is clapping on the frame behind the grille. Unreal. :banghead So i try to tighten and SNAP! :censored anyway, I got a sawzaw in there and hacked the nut off that is welded to the frame and went to ACE to get a 7/16" grade 8 bolt to replace it.

Problem solved. :Thumbsup

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denton

Re: The kingpins are finally in!

Post by hampstead38 »

I just bought some Grade 8s... they aren't giving them away these days, are they.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

Heck no!! That little fix cost me $5. Oh well, at least I didn't need alot.

Overall my costs were:

$45 for the kingpin kit @ Napa
$60 for my buddy to press & ream
$5 for the frame bolt

and about 5 hours of work between removal, installation, and trying to swing a hammer upside down in order to pinch those grease caps in. :banghead

So, for $110 I was able to restore my kingpin setup. I also bought Tie-Rod ends @ $30 a piece and I am waiting for a Draglink @ $85. I would love to get time and swing past Surfnukes house for the one he was gonna give me but I can't see a clear weekend day anytime soon and I want to get it all together. :pale I will need an alignment and have the steering wheel centered up.

Front end rebuild wil have me @ $255 not including an alignment.

Side Note: I ordered replacement front brake hoses from NAPA and they were indeed the same wrong size at the hard line end. I took them back and kept my identical Autozone hoses. :study

tomcat1993
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: graham
State: WA

Post by tomcat1993 »

wally426ci wrote:Heck no!! That little fix cost me $5. Oh well, at least I didn't need alot.

Overall my costs were:

$45 for the kingpin kit @ Napa
$60 for my buddy to press & ream
$5 for the frame bolt

and about 5 hours of work between removal, installation, and trying to swing a hammer upside down in order to pinch those grease caps in. :banghead

So, for $110 I was able to restore my kingpin setup. I also bought Tie-Rod ends @ $30 a piece and I am waiting for a Draglink @ $85. I would love to get time and swing past Surfnukes house for the one he was gonna give me but I can't see a clear weekend day anytime soon and I want to get it all together. :pale I will need an alignment and have the steering wheel centered up.

Front end rebuild wil have me @ $255 not including an alignment.

Side Note: I ordered replacement front brake hoses from NAPA and they were indeed the same wrong size at the hard line end. I took them back and kept my identical Autozone hoses. :study
do u have the part number from nappa for the king pin set and did u buy the kit that had the bearing instead of bushings?

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

I will get back to you on the Part Number. I bought the kit with Washer Bearings b/c that was stock, but i kind of wish I would have dabbled in the ball bearing setup. I would like to know if the stearing eases up..

:salut

JimsRatRod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Parker
State: CO

Post by JimsRatRod »

Just doing mine now. On order is NAPA's ball bearing set. Mine's a 2500# axle, I have the backer plates off and have removed the bolt on the front of the axle that holds the kingpin. Now what? Do I just beat the hell out of it with a brass punch? Does it matter which way it is removed, top or bottom, not tapered right? Is it safe to get my oxy/acetylene torch out and heat the axle?

Jim

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

One side beat out for me, the other just fell out. I didn't have to torch them but Ive heard of people doing that. It is tough b/c there isn't alot of room. I would get the front end up pretty high as well b/c you need to re-pinch the metal once your grease seals (metal discs) go in.

:salut I hope this helps.

tomcat1993
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: graham
State: WA

Post by tomcat1993 »

hey i ordered my king pins and i cant get the pin that holds the king pin in place to budge i hit it with a punch and a 3lb sledge no avail then i brought out the big guns and tryied a air hammer nope nothing i think i will try to drill it out the punch the rest of the holding pin out let me know my email is tomcat1993@gmail.com thanks it will be about 10 days befor i get the set and my buddy gave me a hone to set the new bushings up to the new pin's

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

There should be a bolt (can't remember what size) holding the pins in.

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denton

Post by hampstead38 »

Congrats, W.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

I'm psyched, just need to stick the drag link in and the tie-rod ends.... has to wait until spring now. :salut

JimsRatRod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JimsRatRod »

JimsRatRod wrote:Just doing mine now. On order is NAPA's ball bearing set. Mine's a 2500# axle, I have the backer plates off and have removed the bolt on the front of the axle that holds the kingpin. Now what? Do I just beat the hell out of it with a brass punch? Does it matter which way it is removed, top or bottom, not tapered right? Is it safe to get my oxy/acetylene torch out and heat the axle?

Jim
Well it's now the 29th and I'm still beating the hell out of it. I'm about at the point of pulling the whole axle out and taking it to the machine shop. I guess if this stuff was easy everyone would drive a Mopar. :banghead

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

What about heat? :thinking

JimsRatRod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JimsRatRod »

The "blue tool" didn't work so I yanked the axle and Monday it will be at Denver Drivetrain to get the springs re-arched and the kingpins replaced. In the mean time I'll be going to Performance Tires to get 12" wide x 17" rims and some 14" meat for the rears.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

Sorry to hear it gave you such a fit Jim. Let us know how it goes! :salut