IFS versus stock...

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Firestone
State: CO

IFS versus stock...

Post by fosh69 »

If you have IFS, let us know what you think... if you prefer stock, tell us why.
4eye 69

OO\===/OO

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood

Re: IFS versus stock...

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

The decisions are hard, the straight axle will cost less, hold an aligmment 10x longer and has hardly no maintence, and it can be beefed up to do some good handling relettively cheap, however the IFS has more proven ways to get performance and it has clearance through the middle that the straight axle doesn't, I'm at the same point in time of tossing the idea of switching to IFS for performance, mainly to go on the Power Cruise and kick some @#%, just like Brain Deeds did, or just to make alot of national shows if the Power Tour stays east of Colorado. I wil put the 70 in the garage after the Cruise and then it will turn into a shortbox, and body mods, and the paint scheme finally finished. :Thumbsup

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

I still have the straight axle in my truck. I won't ever change it. It is a 2WD and would never go off road either. I also think the ride it gives feels great. So, don't change it because you want a "nice" ride. If you have good shocks, tires, suspension and king pins aren't worn out, then you'll get that great ride too.

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

As time goes on it will be harder to find parts for these trucks. Many parts are hard to find already. A good straight axle with non worn parts will ride and steer nicely(except when not rolling). If parts become worn you will have to locate replacements. If you want upgraded brakes and steering you might have to fabricate something. If you go to IFS from a relatively common vehicle or aftermarket supplier the parts should be available for a longer amount of time. It would also provide better brakes and steering if this is what you are looking for. The ride quality might be improved too with IFS. The drawback is getting the IFS into your truck. This will take fabrication of some kind since there is no confirmed bolt in IFS.

fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fosh69 »

Thanks for the replies, guys... the intent of the thread isn't to help me make a decision. That has already been done. I originally was going to keep the straight axle for the very reason I wanted to get back into these trucks, the nice handling I remember years ago when I owned my first '70 Adventurer. It is, however becomong very apparent that altering the factory setup (lowering, larger tires, etc.) seems to inevitably increase the effort to drive these. Anything far from stock design has its consequences.

The intent is to get opinions of those actually running the IFS, type of IFS, any regrets and such as well as those that are sticking with the factory setup. Straight-up no b.s. info from those that have walked down the path so that in the future, a guy or gal can do a search and get the skinny if they are contemplating the conversion. I know there have been many discussions about the swap, what to swap blah, blah, blah... but I have yet to get many offerings of folks who have done the swap and their driving experience (i.e. highway speed, in-town driving etc.) It seems that once the swap has been done, the person that did it has no interest in filling in the rest of us of how it actually works. I knew there would be those out there that swear by what Ma MoPar originally put together and that's all well and good, too. For those of us not just restoring, though, that have a theme or stance in mind that the factory never dreamed of, various opinions can help.
4eye 69

OO\===/OO

wedgehead
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: il

Post by wedgehead »

I did the swap and used the Mustang II kit from Fatman. It was easy to install and has good quality , heavy duty parts. As far as driving goes I have only driven it about a 100 miles but I am very happy with the ride and handleing. The only thing I may change is the springs, when I put it togeather I cut off 2 coils. I like the look but I only have 6" clearance from the bottom of bumper, I will get another set of springs or possibly a taller tire. I have owend two 68s 1 power 1 manual both drove like trucks and thats whats great about them if you want org. or a daily driver. As you said some like to modify and options are limited with stock susp. These are old pics. I have better ones but I can't downsize them.

Ernie
Attachments
105.JPG
100_0124.JPG

fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fosh69 »

very nice... it does look like you could use more tire in there. What is your track width hub-hub?
4eye 69

OO\===/OO

PatS
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Calgary, AB, CANADA
State: Foreign

Post by PatS »

The 2005-2006 Crown Victoria IFS might be worth a look. IFS, disc brakes, motor mounts, power rack and pinion and police car handling :clap

Here it is going into a 50 Dodge Pilothouse truck

More info and some measurements from the builder on this thread:
http://www.vintagerods.ca/showthread.php?t=630
1949 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1949 Chrysler Windsor Parts Car
1956 Nash Rambler Custom
1962 Dodge D300
1975 Champion Motorhome on Dodge Chassis
2000 Dodge Caravan

One day we're here
The next we're gone
We always take for granted
That we wake at dawn.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Wow, that is nice! :Thumbsup it just rolls under and bolts down :thinking

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:Wow, that is nice! :Thumbsup it just rolls under and bolts down :thinking

It does look nice, although, I wouldn't say... "bolts down". Look at the upper control arm. Needs a block welded in there to support it. BUT, sure does look nice.... :salut

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Jims68 wrote:
MountainMoparRobin wrote:Wow, that is nice! :Thumbsup it just rolls under and bolts down :thinking

It does look nice, although, I wouldn't say... "bolts down". Look at the upper control arm. Needs a block welded in there to support it. BUT, sure does look nice.... :salut

Jim
Additionally..... those pics show it being attached to a Pilot House frame. :study
There might be more [or less] fab work needed for the Sweptline frame. It looks
like a nice set up though. :Thumbsup
John

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Hobcobble wrote:
Jims68 wrote:

Jim
Additionally..... those pics show it being attached to a Pilot House frame. :study
There might be more [or less] fab work needed for the Sweptline frame. It looks
like a nice set up though. :Thumbsup
John
http://sweptline.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20874

OverdoneDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bringhurst
State: IN

Post by OverdoneDodge »

Wedgehead-
PM sent.
Rob
66 D100 Poly 318

funkyjbp
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by funkyjbp »

i have an 04 mercury marauder chassis and (crown vic) and i will be doing a sweptline conversion in the upcoming months. it will not bolt-on but it will be close. the sweptline frame flares out to about 37 inches at the widest part. the crown vice is 35 from spring tower to spring tower. i will have to notch the frame in on both side to allow the crossmember to fit outside of the frame. it will be easy fab work as i will box the frame anyway. you will have to weld one tab for the rear bolt of the A-arm and that's it. vari-rate power rack & pinion steering, big power disc brakes, four bolts for the crossmember. Interestingly enough, the marauder and my 71 short wide bed both have 114 inch wheelbases... more on that after i get the marauder body pulled and look at the frame. the marauder has frame rails that go clear to the rocker panels and i think it will interfere with the rocker steps on out trucks. i may move the marauder frame rails in 8 inches though. later, jp in the land of oz!

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Gentlemen don't have a heart attach, but this is a swap I could forsee doing, yes I know its not Mopar, but I like the way this goes in, I will seriously look at doing this swap myself :usa

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:Gentlemen don't have a heart attach, but this is a swap I could forsee doing, yes I know its not Mopar, but I like the way this goes in, I will seriously look at doing this swap myself :usa
Holy sh*t!.... this means Armageddon for sure :pale :lol:
John

OverdoneDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bringhurst
State: IN

Post by OverdoneDodge »

Wedgehead-
Sent another PM!
Rob
66 D100 Poly 318

George
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lodi
State: CA

Post by George »

The stock solid beam axle used on the D series truck is one of the details of the design that give the Sweptlines so much of their character. I know state of the art
engineering circa 1908. Every big rig on the road uses that design because it works.It is a truck after all and when you put a load in it and drive the front settles and the camber of the front wheels can not change,adversely affecting directional stability. On smooth roads the advantages of Ifs are minimal. As for parts availability Just about any auto parts store in the USA can supply a Moog king pin and bushing kit for about $50. Every other part seem to be readily available
as well. For me the appeal of these trucks is their simplicity very pure, it is a lot like driving a classic car with brakes. If I wanted Ifs I would get a newer truck.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

George wrote: If I wanted Ifs I would get a newer truck.
Everybody is different. I wouldn't settle for a newer truck if I wanted a Sweptline. I'd upgrade, as would many others here. There is nothing wrong with the ride of the I-beam trucks at all but for those who want more modern brakes and steering we have to rely on fabrication. Since the parts have already been incorporated into newer trucks and cars with the correct engineering it seems like a simple solution to me.

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:Gentlemen don't have a heart attach, but this is a swap I could forsee doing, yes I know its not Mopar, but I like the way this goes in, I will seriously look at doing this swap myself
Blasphemer! I'd stay out of lightning storms as the MOPAR gods may be angered. The only way to seek redemption may be to have a pentastar tattooed on your butt.