Sway Bar ??

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Sway Bar ??

Post by CLIFF »

I found a guy parting out a 71 d100. It has a 318 small block and is equipt with a front sway bar. Now my 67 d100 shortbed doesnt have the holes in the straight axle for this. Was this not a option on 67 years ? I wouldnt think drilling the straight axle would be a problem to make it work . I have a new set of dropped springs for the front that im going to be putting on also, so if i can just swap entire straight axles I think this might be easier. But Im not sure if they are the same or not. I bought a 1977 truck 440 from the same guy today. Thats when I seen the sway bar and thought with me puttin that 440 in that sway bar would be hell a nice to have. Im sure you guys would know if the front axles are the same or different so if anyone can help me out that would be great.

Also how about windshields swap 71 to a 67? this 71 has a great one in it and mine "67" is all cracked up!

Also has a chrome bumper on the front of the 71 but it has been hit lightly on passenger side and has a crease about a foot in. very fixable. I like the looks of this style bumper compared to the style bumper on the 67's. Would anyone know if the bumper can be fixed without having to rechrome?

thanks guys

Cliff

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Sway bars were added in 1969.

I believe all windshields from 61 to 71 were the same too.

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

I figured that about the swaybar. But will the entire straight axle from a 71 swap over to my 67. My 67 straight axle doesnt have the holes for the endlink brackets for the swaybar so I was thinking I would just swap straight axles. Or I could just drill my axle for the brackets?

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Cliff, just do the swap it will work , I'am fixen to do the swap on a 66 D100 with the front axel from a 69 D100 , I parted out , Time is the only thing holding me up , I was just going to chang the springs but decided to just do the whole thing , the 66 springs are flat & the 69 have a good arch
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Sway bar

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Cliff cowboy is right, just change them out! I have a 70 and as you know the 440/727 the sway bar helps stop body roll, and I also added the Ranchero 5000 shocks, you won't believe the improvement you'll have cornering, especially on them winding roads in the Ozarks, heck you'll think your driven a sports car :Thumbsup

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

LOL....I hope MountainMoparRobin!....I was thinking there probably wasnt any difference in axles but I wasnt absolutly sure. Thanks guys!

Im shooting to put the 440/833 in on the first week of October. I work at the Fenton Van plant and they have us on alot of down time coming up. Hell Ive been home for 3 weeks now in a role and I still have another week and a half to go. I also have the last week in Sept and the first week in Oct off work so im shooting to have it all ready by then. I have new drop springs for the front sitting in garage. I'll get that swaybar axle from that 71 and swap that, while the motors out im going to swap in a power steering box from a 85 Ford then finaly I'll drop that elephant right in were it belongs! Sounds like alot but 2 weeks will be plenty of time.

Oh by the way the Front disk brakes that I did using Tallzag's brackets and the Crown vic rotors and chevy truck calipers are working Absolutly great!! Very easy swap I did have to run new hardlines from splitter block to each side but it wasnt a big deal.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Sway bar

you put in powersteering from a 85 Ferd??? Is that also a bolt in?? and the Crown Vic rotors are those the 12"??

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

MountainMoparRobin...

the Ford power box needs a bracket fabed up that wraps around the box and bolts to frame in original steering box holes...hers a few pics so you can get a idea of what im saying

[img][img]http://images6.theimagehosting.com/PS%2 ... 295.th.jpg[/img]
[/img]

[img][img]http://images6.theimagehosting.com/insi ... 202.th.jpg[/img]
[/img]

[img][img]http://images6.theimagehosting.com/wrap ... 202.th.jpg[/img]
[/img]

And on those Crown vic Rotors I did measure them. but I think there were just shy of 12" They were like 11 1/2" or 11 3/4"

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

gear box

now that is definetly heavy duty! I have heard about the 12" Rotors from AAJ brakes thats why I thought that is what you had?

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

MoutainMoparRobin.....I am the ginnie pig for Talzags disk brake brackets he designed to work with Ford Crown Vic rotors and Chevy 1/2 ton truck calipers. Heres some pics

I had the rotors turned after I made sure it was all going to work. The bracket he made is a bolt on deal using the 4 original bolts that hold the drum backing plate on. So you dont have to get new hardware. I did get new sliding bolts for the Chevy truck Calipers though....6 bucks at napa I think I paid for them. These brakes work excellent! Oh I used a Manual disk/drum master for a 74-78 dodge truck/van/car. I have the napa part number if anyone needs it.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

help

so you can still use the original rubber brake line to the frame?? you know I see that go so easy, it makes me believe that the 83 rotors and now even backing plate and disc brake caliper could all do the exact same thing :thinking

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

Original rubber hoses for the 88-93 Chevy truck calipers...yes. They fit in the original holes in frame where the drum hoses attached to. I did have to file down a little nub on the new hoses so they would fit threw hole enough to get the clip on the inside of frame. Works Great and looks Great.

83 rotors, backing plate,calipers from what??

This stuff is 95-97 Crown vic Rotors, 88-93 Chevy 1/2 ton nonheavy duty truck disk calipers, 88-93 Chevy 1/2 ton truck brake hoses, And it all works with "Tallzagauctions.com" Disk brake brackets for 61-71 dodge trucks. His phone number is 206-790-1063

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Sway bar

I'm just thinking, I'm always surprised how everyone always overlooks Mopar equipment and goes to Chevy???? when there are Mopar parts available, some time I want to see if the Rotors on my 83 will slide on the spindles from the 70, there the same bolt pattern and the disc are outstanding for wear

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

Its not that I overlooked the Mopar way. It was that my truck is my only driver and it needed front brakes like years ago. Well when I looked into redoing the drum stuff I was amazed how much it was all going to cost! So I started doing all the researh for the different possibilities for disk brake swap. Uglytruckling was out for unavailability and also for the fact that the rotors had to be machined for the bearing and if I ever need to replace rotors that might be a problem. AAJ or AJJ what ever its called ...I couldnt ever find anything on this kit. I search google I search here and nothing so I gave up on that kit. Then This guy Tom AKA Tallzag chimed in on this forum about making disk brake brackets. So I called him and he said He makes disk brake stuff for most dodge A,b,e body's and thought he could make somthing work. I said I was interested and he got back with me saying Crown vic rotors and Chevy truck calipers will work with his brackets. The rest is history. If I had time I would have scowerd the junk yards looking for the combination of dodge stuff to work. But I didnt so I just went with what was allready at hand. Besides im not into the purist thing like alot of guys. I was raised around streetrods 20-50's chevy's,ford's,dodge's. Before aftermarket got big. If you wanted a better handling car you went to salvage yard and cut off a front suspension that measured close and welded it on. It didnt matter what it came from. Yes most were early mustang/pacer ifs types. We put these on all makes 30-40 chevys,30-40 fords and few 40's dodges. Most of these cars me and pops and friends did are still driving today. and this was 15 years ago. These cars are sweet drivers. When we built streetrods you used whatever work and brand specific wasnt even a thought. Same was true for rearends. I think this was how everybody was back then.
These trucks are absolutly out of the aftermarket world right now, so whatever works is what I'll use. And I'll be driving while the next guy is searching for his correct numbers matching muffler clamp! or whatever..LOL...I dont mean any disrespect to the purist out there I love looking at your cars, But I love driving mine. Knowing that I built,and it works and its better then it was from the factory just makes it that much better.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

disc brake

Cliff I wasn't referring to your choice on the swap, I'm lookin at where they originate, I'm far from being a purist, and if you saw my truck you would know that to be true, the paint would give ya the first clue, the fact it has a 440/727 would be another clue, and just lookin at the top of the motor nothing is stock?? if you walked around the truck you would see the gas tank is in the rear and its poly with a Holley Blue electric pump and filler through the bed, and look at the front, the valance is another one of my custom deals, bucket seats, auto with INDY shifter, and I'll have the console done for the Super Cruise, then headliner will have a DVD and game console, infact you may even see the Crown Vic Rotors on my truck for the same reason you quoted, time and effort, but I would feel safer with Mopar :Thumbsup

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

Mountian,

I was hoping to delete the post before you saw it. Im not sure why I posted that reply. When I started the reply it wasnt my intention to comne off like it ended. I kinda know your truck well from all the your posts that ive read. I was thinking about the way your truck is built at work today and I was like what the hell was I thinking when I typed that post. I was tired when I typed it and and and.....you know what im blaming it on my wife! lol.......anyway Im sorry. Ill try to think a little first before I open my mouth next time.
Cliff

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Sway bar

I'll stay outa more conversations, too into it, that will all stop soon :Thumbsup

mopar400
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bloomingdale, GA

Post by mopar400 »

I would like to stir the pot!!! I just replaced the front calipers on my 1997 Dodge truck. I went and purchased the calipers and brake pads. They looked familiar. :thinking I worked at a parts store for 3-4 years and recognized the part numbers. The calipers and pads also fit a 1/2 ton chevy truck! I don't care, it just made the parts about 1/2 the price of mopar only units. Anyway, I did the brake job last week and pulled the rotors for machining. They are original to the truck. I turned them over and stamped on the back was "GM" and a GM part number????? You would think they would atleast stamp them with a mopar logo?? Moral of the story is that the truck stops great! It is only on its 3rd set of pads and still has original rotors in 125,000 miles. I'm satisfied! :Thumbsup Mopar400

Hey, they also look alot like Cliffs new calipers!
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 03&ptset=A
70 Challenger 506hp 440, 727, 11.29@120mph
1965 Fury II(in pieces)