80-84 disk swap

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Spdcrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: homer
State: AK

80-84 disk swap

Post by Spdcrazy »

so, correct me if i'm wrong, but i have a dana 44 under my truck. its a 5x5.5 axle with manual hubs. and drum brakes. i'd like to swap to disk but i can't seem to find much info on this. tons of stuff for the older axles i.e. scarebird and such.

finding a swappable axle is kinda difficult being i'm up here in ak.

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gifford
State: WA

Re: 80-84 disk swap

Post by RAYMAN »

You could go with a few different options like, dana 44 out of a 3/4 ton chevy. The 3/4 ton axle would give you disc brakes and if you upgrade you springs you can make that half ton into a real hauling machine. You could also go with the '80s fronts out of a ramcharger or a truck. :2cents :Thumbsup

Spdcrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Spdcrazy »

RAYMAN wrote:You could go with a few different options like, dana 44 out of a 3/4 ton chevy. The 3/4 ton axle would give you disc brakes and if you upgrade you springs you can make that half ton into a real hauling machine. You could also go with the '80s fronts out of a ramcharger or a truck. :2cents :Thumbsup
ya i'm sure there are options that way, but i'm hoping i dont have to swap the whole axle. working room is difficult being i'm outside and it is my daily so if i can swap some stuff over and end up with disc brakes without worrying about gearing, pinion angle, and dealing with all the rust and steering id be a happy guy.

if i go 4 or 6bt one day i'll look into a 60 :)

for now i'm just trying to ease the ohh crap moments when ppl decide to stop for no reason on the hwy.

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RAYMAN »

Is the axle in the front an open or closed knuckle? If it is an open knuckle then you might be able to get the outer parts off of a '80s dodge and just swap the ends out from the knuckle out. But dont quote me on that. :Thumbsup

Spdcrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Spdcrazy »

RAYMAN wrote:Is the axle in the front an open or closed knuckle? If it is an open knuckle then you might be able to get the outer parts off of a '80s dodge and just swap the ends out from the knuckle out. But dont quote me on that. :Thumbsup
closed... :/

you refer to maybe being able to swap stuff over because of the stub shaft being accessible?

Spdcrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Spdcrazy »

http://www.offroadexchange.com/modforum ... 735.0;wap2

heres a partial answer to my question for future searchers.

any way to get disks witout using chebby stuff? i'd prefer not to

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Are you the guy who posted in the other link? If so, why does a 70 3/4 ton truck have a 1/2 ton axle in it?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

soopernaut wrote:Are you the guy who posted in the other link? If so, why does a 70 3/4 ton truck have a 1/2 ton axle in it?
D to W conversion.
John

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RAYMAN »

It looks like this would be an easy swap, just by looking at the link that Spdcrazy has posted above. It looks like he needs a chevy axle for parts and just take everything from the backing plates out. The link said it works for 3/4 ton but i wonder if he could use the same logic with a newer dodge axle so he would have the same bolt pattern on the wheels.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

People also used the GM Dana 44 parts on the full time 4wd Dodge axle to upgrade and get rid of the crappy bearing design. I'm sure much of the axle assembly is the same except for the knuckles and everything that goes on after them.

I don't know how much difference there is between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton axle assembly. Maybe there is a bigger difference that doesn't allow swapping many parts between them.

The 75-79 axles can also have lockouts added to them.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Since you didn't mention whether you are the person in the other link this might not work. According to a thread on Ramcharger Central, the spindles and outer parts can be swapped on 75-93 axles assemblies.

The lockout kit on the full time axles isn't available anymore and apparently wasn't that good anyway.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

5 on 5.5 is stock 1/2 ton Ford. Look under 73-86 F100/150 and compare the parts. Some will swap, some will not.

Spdcrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Spdcrazy »

sorry soopernaut i was busy trolling other sites last night.

no it wasn't me who posted that. just searched for a couple hours and found it fairly relevant.

my truck is/was a 68 D100..

axle in it is a closed knuckle 5x5.5, which via my searching , should be. a 44 from 72 on up.

i'm getting real confused on what is what. guess i have a bunch more research to do. this swaps but you need that and that doesnt swap with this. :banghead :banghead

Spdcrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Spdcrazy »

i took a few pics i'll post up. but i did learn that my gear ratio is 4.09

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Spdcrazy wrote: axle in it is a closed knuckle 5x5.5, which via my searching , should be. a 44 from 72 on up.
75-79 had a 5 on 4.5 inch bolt pattern. A 69-74 would have a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern with drum brakes.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Welcome to the "wonderful" world of "Hodge Podge", which applies to any Dodge ever made. Absolutely nothing makes conventional sense. Some trucks have wheel studs and lug nuts, other built the same year have driver side reverse thread passenger side normal thread lug bolts. Some have Ford wheel bolt patterns, others have GM. Some have Ford spec t-case and axles, some have GM style. Want a Ford, GM or Perkins engine? No problem, swap parts are dirt cheap. Want to neuter your truck by going from a 383 to a baby /6, piece of cake...

Dodges are the most aggravating trucks ever built (aside from International square bodies and the Jeeps that had Buick/Olds 350 engines and 727 slush-o-matics). They keep you on your toes and keep the build process interesting. Costs a whole more to build a Dodge right compared to a same era GM truck, but you end up with a much better rig in the end.

I do have to admit that I rock an 85 C10 short wide for cruise nights since the Dodges are taking forever and a day to get back in service... and the mid 20s mile per gallon fuel economy in a full sized gas burner is nice compared to maybe 11mpg in the 69 D100. But the C10 has no soul, at all. The D100 and the 49 B1B-108 (1/2 ton short ute) may be cursed (definitely cursed in reality) but they have more heart, soul and character than the C10 will ever develop.

Keep plugging away at it. And seriously, look under F100/150 trucks, you'll be surprised at what will swap.

Spdcrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Spdcrazy »

Thank you soopernaut
And WD, very very well said. Soul is about perfect to describe our dodges, it's just there, indescribably there