What is this 1971 Power Steering part called?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
gearjammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: pittsfield
State: MA

What is this 1971 Power Steering part called?

Post by gearjammer »

On my 71...

This is the part with all the power steering hoses going to it. Connects between Pitman arm and tie rod.

Mine is super loose..no leaks just loose at where the knuckle connects to the pitman arm....Need a new one or to have this one rebuilt..Please teach me. Thanks,Image

EGroscup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Escondido
State: CA

Re: What is this 1971 Power Steering part called?

Post by EGroscup »

That is the control valve. It needs a little movement to operate the spool valve inside.

gearjammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: pittsfield
State: MA

Post by gearjammer »

Thanks....I found a blow-up and I'm figuring it out. Anybody know how much 'play' is ok to have. I'll bet this thing moves the better part of a half inch...I'm not worried about the drivability, I just want to be safe.

Commando66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gig Harbor
State: WA

Post by Commando66 »

That part is the main reason I am going to change to manual steering. Too much monkey motion and no readily available replacement parts.

Roxyflash
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Moline
State: IL

Post by Roxyflash »

The part at the rear has the spool that will move 1/4 inch either way from center under pressure from the hydraulics it transfer the fluid to the slave cylinder to push or pull it.The other end that unbolts is like a tierod end should have no play.The thing is when the hydraulics are working as you start turning its moving the cylinder you shouldnt have that much play in the wheel.It could be in the steer box, have someone turn the wheel back and forth watching the rag joint see if the play is in the box.