rear disc brakes???????

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Paris/Texas

Re: rear disc brakes???????

Post by juddoats »

EASY EASY EASY lol trust me if i can do it...its easy.....i will get some pics for you....you have to get old bearings pressed off and the sealed bearings pressed on and after that there is a bracket that bolts to a flange and the calipers bolt to those very very easy...will get pics for you though

fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Firestone
State: CO

Post by fosh69 »

Just curious what master cylinder you're using for the 4wheel disc? Will a front disc/rear drum with the prop valve in the back half work ok?
4eye 69

OO\===/OO

juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Paris/Texas

Post by juddoats »

from what they have told me it will work fine...i am using a 80's model master cylinder

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

Some Disc/Drum masters can be used. It is important to note that the calipers displace a lot more
fluid than wheel cylinders. This is why Disc/Drum masters have different sized reservoirs.
Ideally a Disc/Disc master would be used. However ideally the rear calipers should also be
a lot smaller than the fronts and not use as much fluid. In this case a Disc/Drum master may work.

When installing and bleeding, keep an eye on the masters fluid level and have a helper pump and
hold the brakes while you check the fluid level, making sure there is still fluid in the master while
the brakes are fully pressed. Also remember that the calipers will hold more fluid as the pads wear.
So while there might be just enough with new pads, you could be sucking air after the pads wear some.
Just to refresh, air in the lines is bad! :joker

I run an iron disc/drum master on my Fury with 4 wheel discs. The rear calipers are noticeably smaller
than the fronts, and reservoir on the master is huge.

The 80's aluminum masters, with plastic reservoirs are excellent for all discs systems. The 80's iron
3/4 ton masters also have huge reservoirs. I will probably swap to an aluminum on my Fury in the future.

I really like the aluminum/plastic masters. They are easy to find in various bores, dirt cheap, are smaller
and perform great. I have one on my crew with the big 89 discs and the huge 98 drums. It should work
fine if I ever decide to go disc on the back.
71 D100 Adventurer SE - PowerWagon conversion
70 W200 CrewCab - Urban Assault Kiddie Hauler
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Pro Touring Machine
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Beater, Hiding in a cave

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

I think you will definitely need a proportioning valve, I would even suggest buying an adjustable one if you are using a master for a disc/drum setup on a four wheel disc brake system. .
1969 Adventurer W100

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

Agreed, a proportioning valve is mandatory on a 4 wheel disc system, unless every component
was specifically designed and built for the vehicle and designed to balance without a proportioning valve.

There are many advantages of using an adjustable proportioning valve on any 4 wheel braking vehicle,
even drum/drum. It allows you to fine tune the bias front to rear specifically for that vehicle and your
driving style. Most brake systems bias is a general compromise to try and meet the widest array of
possible driving situations and similar vehicles that the manufacturer might be making at the time.

I was able to use an adjustable valve to dial in my 69 Fury so that it out brakes my 2000 Intrepid,
which is also a 4 wheel disc vehicle, has anti-lock brakes and weighs a lot less.
71 D100 Adventurer SE - PowerWagon conversion
70 W200 CrewCab - Urban Assault Kiddie Hauler
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Pro Touring Machine
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Beater, Hiding in a cave