What synthetic oil brand is best?

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
junior
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: san bernardino
State: CA

What synthetic oil brand is best?

Post by junior »

Or is it just a matter of preferance? Is it a waste of money to use synthetic oil on an engine that has over 75,000 miles?

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Re: What synthetic oil brand is best?

Post by mopardwh »

ROYAL PURPLE!!! I've used it for many years in any engine I really want to last. It is getting OUTRAGOUSLY priced, but so is everything else.

http://www.royalpurple.com/why-use-rp.html
Doug

EGroscup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Escondido
State: CA

Post by EGroscup »

Check out the Amzoil specs. Pretty impressive, and no I am not a dealer. Erik

powertothepdub
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by powertothepdub »

synthetic oil is definitely better than conventional oils-it just depends on how much protection you need to sleep at night. if you change your oil at least every 5000 miles you may be wasteing money on the synthetics as their specific purpose originally was to extend service intervals or protect engines under severe conditions.
most diesel engines useing synthetics have a recommended change interval of 10k to12.5k miles although i have heard of engines with synthetics in them doing some miraculous things such as running an unbelievable amount of time after loosing all their coolant without engine damage.its good insurance against failures,thats for sure.
my motorcycle owners manual recommends that you do not use synths in the engine because it also lubes the wet clutches in the trans and it will make them slip so it definitely sliperier than conventional oils.

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

Mobile1 is also a good brand, and they offer a couple different variations.
One really great thing about synthetics is they don't break down with age.
So a vehicle that doesn't get driven a lot, like a older vehicle used occasionally,
might only need one oil change per year, if driven less than 10,000 miles per year.

There are several things to consider when deciding a interval for changes with
synthetics. Most oil manufacturers have help lines or online support to help you
decide what is best for your vehicles situation.
71 D100 Adventurer SE - PowerWagon conversion
70 W200 CrewCab - Urban Assault Kiddie Hauler
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Pro Touring Machine
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Beater, Hiding in a cave

truckluvr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Eastern
State: OR

Post by truckluvr »

I've used Mobil 1 synthetic in everything from my lawnmower to diesel trucks since the 70's and have never had any failure due to lubrication. One of the trucks I overhauled (no reboring) had about 240K on it when I sold it and the inside of the motor still looked shiny. That truck has changed hands a couple of times and I still occasionally see it driving around town. My lawnmower is a 1984 Craftsman rider with a 14hp briggs and stratton that mows about 2 acres of lawn every year. My wife cant stand looking at it because it just looks like something that you'd see with a tree growing out of the middle of it but every spring I put a charged battery in it and turn the key and it fires right up like clockwork.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

I've heard NOT to run synthetic.

I ALWAYS add zinc to my oil. Not sure if anyone here does or not. :thinking

BigBlockDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wingina
State: VA

Post by BigBlockDodge »

Some of my buddies have tried using synthetic oil and have had problems with it burning off. kinda weird. but I always run conventional oil but never go over 3,000 miles between changes. I just cant see spending that much extra money on synthetics if I keep my toys well maintained.
Sam
69 Dodge W100 SWB. 383 4bbl, 4-speed

buschguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hanson
State: MA

Post by buschguy »

I'm glad someone asked this question -cuz I'm trying to decide what to use in my new 71 Power Wagon. It has a 318 with 10,000 original miles. I am trying to decide if I want to pony up the $$$ for Joe Gibbs Hot Rod Oil. It comes in conventional or synthetic 10W30 and is high in zinc, which should keep the 318 happy. I have a Trufilter reuseable oil filter, which filters 100% of the oil which reaches the engine so I should be able to stretch the oil changes to 3,000 miles. I'm a big fan of synthetics in new vehicles, but I am nervous about using them in an older vehicle. Don't the detergent properties of synthetics clean away built up engine gums and sludges, making it easier for the synthetic oil to then leak from aging gaskets and seals?

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

The issues with synthetics leaking is more to do with the smaller molecular size.
Many synthetics have countered this by using additives to make the old gaskets
swell. I think I remember reading on Mobil1's site that the odds were about 50/50
on an older vehicle that it would either create a leak, or stop an existing leak.
71 D100 Adventurer SE - PowerWagon conversion
70 W200 CrewCab - Urban Assault Kiddie Hauler
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Pro Touring Machine
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Beater, Hiding in a cave

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

EGroscup wrote:Check out the Amzoil specs. Pretty impressive, and no I am not a dealer. Erik
:lol: :lol: :lol:
wally426ci wrote:I've heard NOT to run synthetic.

I ALWAYS add zinc to my oil. Not sure if anyone here does or not. :thinking
where or what product are you using to add the zinc? I add lucas
mopardwh wrote:ROYAL PURPLE!!! I've used it for many years in any engine I really want to last. It is getting OUTRAGOUSLY priced, but so is everything else.

http://www.royalpurple.com/why-use-rp.html
And Royal Purple gear lube, along with the synthetic transission fluid will also increase horsepower, along with economy :goodpost

hevyspeed
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Casper
State: WY

Post by hevyspeed »

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

hevyspeed wrote:Royal Purple for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqvhRi7-iMA
Wow great video!
Doug

truckluvr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Eastern
State: OR

Post by truckluvr »

If synthetics are causing old seals to start leaking I'd suggest new seals... Kinda stupid to blame a quality oil for leaks. That's kinda like blaming an antifreeze for radiator leaks. I don't know... Maybe I'm wierd. Okay don't answer that.

buschguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hanson
State: MA

Post by buschguy »

To me it's probably not worth it to roll the dice and possibly have the problem and expense of leaking older seals, which were not leaking before you ran synthetic. That's just me.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

buschguy wrote:To me it's probably not worth it to roll the dice and possibly have the problem and expense of leaking older seals, which were not leaking before you ran synthetic. That's just me.
synthetic doesn't go through any gaskets that regular oil won't, it has the same weight as regular oil, it just lubricants better, it isn't any different both are liquids and both do the same job, just that synthetic has better friction reducing chemical in it, they both have the same oil pressure etc. etc.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by jimmy »

I've used synthetics in all kinds of things, I really like it in axles, transmisions, T-case's, wheel bearings, Air compressors and Lawn mowers.
I really like synthetic ATF, I've personally experanced better firmer shifting and cooler tranny temps.

Amsoil makes a High speed wheel bearing grease that is awesome- It is white in color!. I've used Amsoil for years, but as Mobil 1 has become readilly avaliable at Walmart and Costo I have switched. My wifes 2003 Ford Expo calls for Mobil 1 5-20w sythetic blend at a minume. I run fully sythetic.

Every report or artical I've read indicates to use Fully synthetic or regular oil, they say the blends arn't worth the extra money.

I operate Refrigeraded rail car fleet at work and we use mobil 1 products (manufacture reconmendation), I think Mobil 1 has great products but we see unusaully high oil burn and leaks in our fleet compared to other like fleets that don't use synthetic.

I've personally experanced extra oil burn in well broke- in engines when switched to synthetic. When switched back, normal or no oil burn.

I'm not sold on synthetics in engines. I've had and so have my family, cars & trucks that have run incredable long milages with regular oil and filter changes.
Jimmy

65' Satellite 383 4spd
65' Satellite 440 727
69 Power Wagon Crew Cab

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

The synthetic oil deal is more of a personel thing, for their isn't anything in the synthetic thats going to start leaks, burn more oil, etc.etc. I burnedit in my 318 for a few years, then I read about the synthetic not lubricating the rubler parts in the Valve train and they become britle, so it was recomended to change to regular oil every 3rd oil change. I don't burn synthetic, primarly because of cost :banghead

Arne
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Anchor Point/AK

Post by Arne »

Synthetic is at it's best on a cold winter morning, moves alot better and parts get lubricated sooner. Most of my rigs get synthetic in the gearboxes and engine. Probably wouldn't worry about it in a warmer climate or summer rig though. Oh yeah, doesnt stay in the knuckles on the old trucks, comes right past the felt.
68 W300 Crew
68 D200 Crew
67 W300
68 D500 parts
Attitude, the difference between ordeal and adventure.

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

I knew this thread would generate some differences of opinions. It's like asking which is the best oil filter, or how often should oil be changed. Everyone has his or her opinion and is convinced that they have the correct answer.
Well, everyone's got one (opinion) so here's mine. Don't change the oil and filter any more often than the owners manual recommends, and don't waste your money on super expensive synthetic oil and/or filters that are claimed to be better than any other off-the-shelf filter. I've never felt the need to spend the extra money and my engines always last longer than I want to keep the vehicle anyway.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
1969 Adventurer W100