Dana 60 problem

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Red
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Dana 60 problem

Post by Red »

Im prepping a 3.54 dana housing to swap into my 68 D-200. Where the U-bolt saddles rest against the bottom of the tube is eroded and and the saddles dont seat properly. Is it safe to weld these areas up then grind them back down to bring the thickness to original? I plan on welding and grinding in short bursts so I do not warp the tubes.Will this work?
I was a cute baby. My mom said when I was born they threw away the mold. Some of it grew back- Emo Phillips
http://community.webshots.com/user/greenbean119

Floorguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Dana 60 problem

Post by Floorguy »

Red wrote:Im prepping a 3.54 dana housing to swap into my 68 D-200. Where the U-bolt saddles rest against the bottom of the tube is eroded and and the saddles dont seat properly. Is it safe to weld these areas up then grind them back down to bring the thickness to original? I plan on welding and grinding in short bursts so I do not warp the tubes.Will this work?
I've mig and arc welded new leaf spring perches on several different rear ends, no problem. Tack both sides and weld from the middle out. The tubes are fairly thick (1/4"?) and you need good penetration. Weld too shallow and you'll have trouble later. It's not tough to do. Just make sure you've gotten all the rust out beforehand. Depending on your welding experience, you shouldn't have any troubles. :Thumbsup

Red
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Red »

Im gonna spot blast the area, then use the mig to build it up. Thanks!
I was a cute baby. My mom said when I was born they threw away the mold. Some of it grew back- Emo Phillips

Floorguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Green Bean

Post by Floorguy »

Red, what's the current condition of the "Green Bean" in your truck photo album?

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Re: Dana 60 problem

Post by RussRoth »

Red wrote:Im prepping a 3.54 dana housing to swap into my 68 D-200. Where the U-bolt saddles rest against the bottom of the tube is eroded and and the saddles dont seat properly. Is it safe to weld these areas up then grind them back down to bring the thickness to original? I plan on welding and grinding in short bursts so I do not warp the tubes.Will this work?
I tried to weld on my rear axle like that. I ended up having it straightened. The shop that did the work says if you weld at all on an axle it WILL warp. Just my :2cents and experience.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

Red
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Red »

The bean has been reduced to parts only. everything including the frame has major cancer. im pulling the motor for a half ton, and some of the small stuff thats still good. I didnt realize how bad the frame was until a 5,000 rpm 1-2 shift ripped the rear axle out from under the truck, hell of a crash, went sideways into the ditch and landed on its side. in its day it was capable of mid 13's. I ran 31x12.50-16.5 bias ply power kings on the back, they hook almost as good as slicks! the pics of the floors on the same page are of that truck. i loved that thing, always dependable, only got stuck once, trounced stangs with ease. It killed me to start reducing it to parts. I saved the backglass with the Runner decal I had made. All of my trucks have been named except the 68 im driving now, havnt come up with anything that fits. The crew is named traveler, the 69 100 is scoot, I just pulled it off the road for a major refitting and of course the bean. The 68 feels kinda female to me, so mabye trouble, or hard to please.