whiny speedometer

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
OleRed66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: North
State: UT

whiny speedometer

Post by OleRed66 »

Hey guys, I got a speedometer that just recently started to freak out. It did get all whiny for a day, started jumping around. Now it just jumps all over the place. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has any idea what it might be. I was thinking the end of the cable in the transmission may have broken off a small piece, or there is some debris or something fouling up the coupling there. I don't know any suggestions??

:banghead :usa
1966 Dodge D100 - Ole Red
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee - The Jeep
1985 Honda Magna - Maggie
2007 Dodge Durango Hemi (wifes) - D
1992 Plymouth Acclaim - Gramma

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Tell it ot quit whining and straighten up, then!

Try shooting some powdered graphite into the speedo head and also down the cable from the dash, down. Remove the tranny cable end and do the same there. this will lubricate the cable and very likely cure the problem. Do NOT use penetrating oil! Oil will gum the cable up, and eventually, it will break internally.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

FSM actually recommends 3 in 1 oil on the speedo head. a couple drops in the little trap door on top of the housing. id bet the whining is from the head its self. jumpy needle is usually the cable. i have been using the oil thats made for my hair clippers. its a virgin mineral oil, gets in nice and tends to stay there as well. if your gonna do the cable, i agree to take the insert out of the housing to do it. you should clean all the gunk off first. i even flushed the cable housing out with some degreaser and let it dry real good. then i used the mineral oil from the top, and added it till it dripped out the bottom. slide the insert back in, reassemble everything, and away i went. been 3 years now since i did this. my speedo head is getting whiney again as well, but only when its cold, so i got a little time before i have to do it again.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

JJ
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lawton
State: OK

Post by JJ »

On the back of the speedo there is a place to put a drop of machine oil. Works wonders :Thumbsup
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, beer in one hand,cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,"what a ride&quot

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Mine starting doing the exact same thing. I haven't even touched it, but it sounds/looks far more complicated then just needing lubed up.
Doug

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

it will. but its not :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Speedo

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

3 in 1 oil is the best :Thumbsup let me guess you had your temperatures drop and now its acting crazy???? Just like JJ said their is hole in the back of the speedo for the 3 in 1 oil, you may have to oil it up to 3 different times, but we have had that happen and the oil is what it needs, mine did that last winter and this winter has been colder and it hasn't done it even at -33 below :Thumbsup

Hotfoot
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Hotfoot »

As above. Drastic temp changes as well as age, moisture, debris, slight kink or tight bend... will create friction between the cable and its cover causing it to jump around.

Remember the cable is 36-46 years old!:lol:

A small amount of Oil will go along way.
And it will be cheaper than a replacement cable :banghead
If it Ain't Breaking than you ain't driving it hard enough!

OleRed66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by OleRed66 »

Thanks guys appreciate your input. I'll give it a go and see what happens. My truck is sitting for a while, I'm trying to get some painting done on it, cover up some bare spots. Anyhow, thanks again.

:usa

duracell
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Peoria,Arizona

Post by duracell »

if you want to put oil in quickly take a small screwdrive,slowly and carefully pop out the brass plug and squirt the oil in. it's faster this way, if you don't you will be puttig it in a drop at a time through a very small hole the may be plugged with 30 plus years or grime and dirt.
these speedo's are a sinch, i swapped my odometer numbers to the original one's when i swapped out my speedo. never done it before in my life
as always and sometimes not,steve

OleRed66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by OleRed66 »

Finally took the gauges out and pulled the cable, lubed it up, man it sounds like a dream again. I can hear all the squeaks and rattles instead of that cable. Thanks guys, I got a bottle of 3 in 1 on hand now, won't let that get too bad again. :usa

Blue67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

good deal

Post by Blue67 »

Red. Glad you got it fixed. I had a bouncy speedometer in my 66 and thought to put off fixing it till spring. Now it doesn't bounce at all it just sits quietly at 0 mph. :banghead New parts time in the spring. On a high note. The day before it broke the gas guage decided to start working again. I'd been watching the miles traveled to know when to fill the gas tank. Always with a full gas can in the back just in case I figured wrong. And I often did and still do. Guage still isn't 100% accurate but it gets me to work and back home every day.
Blue

dylansd100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dylansd100 »

3 in 1 is good for the speedo but DO NOT use it on the cable. use white lithium grease it comes in an aerosol can and you can get it at wal-mart. If you use 3 in 1 on the cable you WILL regret it.
69 d100 adventurer 318 four bbl.
727 / 3.55 rear

Massively Over Powered And Respected
Mutilates Other People At Races