lifter noise--Collapsed lifter???

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
71d100scrapiron

lifter noise--Collapsed lifter???

Post by 71d100scrapiron »

Get a fair amount of lifter noise from the drivers side of my 318--poured some ATF in there and it got quiet--drained oil and replaced with fresh--sits overnight and the noise returned--would a collapsed lifter be intermittent??looking in the oil port should the oil cover the lifters--pumping pretty--stick shows full--any thoughts on what is going on??? Thanks :salut

HellBelly
Founder
Founder
City: Dallas
State: TX

Post by HellBelly »

Does it ever go away when driving?

IF yes, sounds like you have a weak lifter for sure. Oil drains out over night and takes some pressure (driving) to fill back up.

If it's a constant knock all the time, then it's flat out collapsed.
Scott Blaylock (Founder/Admin)
http://www.Sweptline.ORG
http://www.SweptlineTruckRegistry.com

1965 Dodge SWB D100 (Utiline)
1968 Dodge LWB D100 (Sweptline)
1970 Dodge LWB D100 (Dude)

71d100scrapiron

not always--goes away when engine heats up

Post by 71d100scrapiron »

it is erratic--sometimes no noise at all other times takes 15 minutes to go away--how difficult is it to r&r the lifters--Thanks for your help

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

r&r lifters is easy, once you get the valve covers off, rocker arms out of the way, and remove the intake, its just a simple pull and swap. might need a scribe to help hook and pull them out. my 360 does what you describe at times. usually after its sat all week without being fired. try a heavier bodied oil, i use castrol gtx 20w50. the crew will be getting that soon, right now its just got 10w30 in it. if this fixes it, then your lifter is just worn, and will eventually need replaceing, but the heavier oil will give it some new life.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100