Dwell Setting

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
BrowneBlue
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Dwell Setting

Post by BrowneBlue »

I have about got my '67 back on the road. Got the heads, intake and finally, last night the exhaust manifolds. For Christmas I got everything needed to tune up the 318, but I think I forgot everything I learned in shop about setting the dwell (and thus the points) with a meter while it's running. Can someone talk me through this? I must have to have them close to be able to start it in the first place? Thanks,Scott

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LaA
State: CA

Post by tom-adc »

You can't set the dwell on these with the engine running, doesn't have the little window for the allen wrench like a GM product. But set your meter up and with the dist cap off have someone crank the engine while you make an adjustment, if the dwell angle is 35 then I set the cranking dwell at 37/38 then reinstall the cap and check it running, you may need to do this a couple of times.
And while you are making the cranking adjustment make real sure everything is claer and safe. :Thumbsup

BrowneBlue
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BrowneBlue »

I got thinking........I don't have a dwell meter. Can I set the points the old fashioned way and still have them set right? Also, are the timing marks up front somewhere?

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LaA
State: CA

Post by tom-adc »

BrowneBlue wrote:I got thinking........I don't have a dwell meter. Can I set the points the old fashioned way and still have them set right? Also, are the timing marks up front somewhere?
Sure no problem just make sure your feeler gage is grease/oil free before you use it. Timing marks are up front some on the damper and a tab on the timing cover. Don't forget to remove and plug the vacuum advance from the dist. Use some chauk to highlight the timing marks.
If you lived close you could borrow my dwell meter.
Just a second guess, if you haven't bought the points etc I'd give some thought to a pertronics (sp) conversion kit and have no more points.

BrowneBlue
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BrowneBlue »

Say, the Chilton book says that the points setting should be .014-.019. That seems to be a big difference! Is one for a new set and the other an old set? I am installing a new set so which one should I use? Thanks,Scott

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Try dialing it in around .017 :Thumbsup
John

ramrod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ramrod »

i would set them at .014-.015,,,because as they wear,the gap will get bigger.
N0,,,14-19 is not that big a difference,,,just keep them within specs.
also that pertronics conversion is a good thing,,,then you dont have to worry about the lobes being flat or rounded.
'67 utiline
'77 ltd2
'96 Ram 2500
'75 power wagon,club cab
'69 sweptline (project)
'62 utiline (project)

BrowneBlue
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BrowneBlue »

Last night I set them at around .016-.017 and they almost acted like they didn't want to stay open that much. I topped off all the fluids and fired it up. Runs pretty good, but with that bad muffler and short exhaust it is terribly loud. I thought putting exhaust manifold gaskets on it would make it quieter but it almost made it louder. Any thoughts?
I even treated it to it's first full tank of gas in years, and topped off the 'Jiffy Bag'! I actually had the windshield washers working for a bit! It is an enjoyable truck to drive!