Edelbrock carb.

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
ramrod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Edelbrock carb.

Post by ramrod »

happy new year all.
im just trying to get an idea which jets,metering rods,step-up springs,etc.people are using on there edelbrock carbs.
which hole are you you using for your accelerator pump?
how many turns out are your idle air screws?
i am at roughly 4500 feet above sea level,give or take.(salt lake city)
360.bored .030 over,10:1 compression,.477 lift cam.
edelbrock rpm air gap intake.edelbrock heads.hooker headers,2.5 inch exhaust.
right now the timing is at 10 degrees advanced,with the vacuum hose hooked to direct manifold vacuum.(not the timed vacuum port).
i am getting a "flat spot" when i floor it,,,also just off an idle.
so,basically wondering what to do to get rid of the flat spot.
thanks.
'67 utiline
'77 ltd2
'96 Ram 2500
'75 power wagon,club cab
'69 sweptline (project)
'62 utiline (project)

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

edelbrock carb

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

ramrod
sounds like a nice build :Thumbsup I have the 1407/electronic choke carb, had to jet mine down to pass emissions, went down to the 101 jets in the primary and 104's in the secondary (there the factory) my stepup is on the middle hole, the metering rods are the size for the 101's. I sometimes have the hesitation your referring to but found that it has been somewhat caused by the fact the trans didn't shift down all the way, so if I assist it and put her in 1st manually there is a much smaller lag, however, with yours a couple of things you could try is 1. cover the vacuuam on the distributor and manifold 2. set the timing up to at least 12-16 I didn't read whether you had a curve kit in the distributor??? also don't know but are you also running 3:23's ?? for that is also my problem at low end, I don't have a big enough stall and from 1000 to 2500 good traction, nice take off, then at 2500-5000 hang on to your @#%, balls to the wall, you won't pull your head off the head rest, well you could if you are in good shape, if I had 3:91's it would be a good drifter (except I couldn't afford the rubber) my power range is 1500-6500 on everything (cam,intake, and the Hemi valve springs is good up to 6500 rpm) the 101's are good for passing emission, and gas mileage, but suck for the raw power :Thumbsup

ramrod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ramrod »

thanks for the reply MMR.
mine is the 1406 elec.choke.,,,supposedly it came from the factory with .098 main jet and .095 sec. jet.
the guy who put the motor together,supposedly put the.095 jet from the secondary as the main jet,and put a .089 as the secondary .(i am under the impression that all carbs come from the factory for sea level performance).
the accelerator pump was in the middle.,,,i tried the first hole and really no change.
my dist.is just stock,,,no curve kit.(not even sure what the curve kit is).
i am suppoesed to wait till i have 500 miles on the motor before i advance the timing.(i have about 250 on it now).
trans. seems to be shifting up and down pretty good,it is rebuilt also with a mild shift kit.(no stall).
not sure of the gears in the rear,im thinkin somewhere around 3.70 mark.
but im pretty the lag is because of the carb.(not tranny or rear).
thanks again.
'67 utiline
'77 ltd2
'96 Ram 2500
'75 power wagon,club cab
'69 sweptline (project)
'62 utiline (project)

Hemikuda71
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oklahoma City
State: OK

Post by Hemikuda71 »

Ramrod

According to the Carter Carburetor book jet size should be dropped one number ( or .003-inch ) for each 2,000 foot increase in altitude to mantain the same air/fuel ratio that was present at 70 degrees and sea level. For extended use at altitude economy and performance will be optimized by rejetting. When you do this it says to use a somewhat lighter metering rod springs. It also says that each time the altimeter is bumped 3,000 ft the power circuit should be delayed by 1.5- to 2-inches Hg.

Robin did say where his accelerator pump setting is and thats were I'd start and try the different settings to get rid of your bog. I would also invest in a "Strip Kit" too. It has an assortment of jets and metering rods, and some of them even have needle-and-seat assemblies. I'd also get a book on Carter Carburetors. The one I have was published in '83 but there is a new one on Caters coming out in March from Motor Books. The number is 145082AE. It retails for $24.95 plus shipping. It looks to be an update of the book I have as its from the same company that produced the one I have and its by the same author. It has 128 pages verse my 112 pages and covers and updates it since the by out by Edelbrock. Their phone number is 800-826-6600

Also, Robin have you thought of getting another carb for use after emissions testing or do they do random checks there in CO?
R/T
'61 D-100 Utiline
'62 D-100 SWB
'64 D-200 LWB CSS 1 of 2 known 3/4 ton CSS's
'68 A-100 Pick Up (stolen)
'72 Challenger
'78 "Lil Red Express"
'97 Dakota Club Cab

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

i say get her broke in before you claim any problems. the hesitation and such can come from a lot of stuff. you need to get her broke in, then play with the timeing and such. you will need a recurve kit, that changes the way your timing advances, this will eliminate any hesitation due to timing lag. and youll have to play with a few set ups ont he carb to get you dialed in to what the truck likes. but im betting the biggest part of your flat spot is the stock ignition. what i did on mine was take the dist to a speed shop, gave them the specs on my truck, and they set the timing curve on a machine. dropped it in the truck and saw an immeadiate improovment. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

edelbrock carb

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

OOOOoops, I didn't explain the transmission part very well, mine shifts up and down fine, just when you don't come to a complete stop, say 15mph it shifts down, the shift down is from 3rd to 2nd, which is fine, however I have a dead spot there,(I have the MSD 6AL, much more than stock elect.) but I found if I go to 1st, there is no dead spot, infact she turn them over, the rpms are a little higher than at the same pull up in 2nd, this isn't a fault in the tranny. I'd crawl under the rear of your truck there will be a tag on one of the bolts that will tell what gears you have, I don't think there would be the lag if you were runnin the 3:91, I don't think Mopar made a 3:7 gear, closes would be 3:55 or 3:91.
I'm done with the emission Hemikuda71, just haven't made up my mind what I'm going to do about the carb, may be possible to change to 2 x 4barrells or 850-1100cfm carb, but for now I like the 10mpg :Thumbsup The 750 Edelbrock did ok when the engine was closer to stock, but not impressed with it now, at all, disappointed is more like it, I need more air flow, which I'll be addressing soon with one of the ideas and pictures I posted a little over a year ago, I'll have the first truck equiped this way :usa

dylansd100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dylansd100 »

DANG that thing sounds like its built like a brick house.
69 d100 adventurer 318 four bbl.
727 / 3.55 rear

Massively Over Powered And Respected
Mutilates Other People At Races

dylansd100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dylansd100 »

DANG that thing sounds like its built like a brick house.
69 d100 adventurer 318 four bbl.
727 / 3.55 rear

Massively Over Powered And Respected
Mutilates Other People At Races