Help Identifying Transfer Case & Suspension

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Help Identifying Transfer Case & Suspension

Post by nfury8 »

I recently purchased a 71 D-100 that has been converted to 4 Wheel Drive with what I am told is the suspension and drive line from a 86. However, I don't know for certain which Transfer case it has, or how to tell. I also would like some help identifing whether a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton suspension was used, what are the differences. The truck is awesome, but a bit of a frankenstein of pieces. The motor is a 400 from a Cordoba.

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

nfury8, most 3/4 tons have 8 lugs nuts & the 1/2 tons just have 5 , the 400 will haul your truck just fine , & theres plenty of goodies you can put on or in them , thats about all the 4X4 stuff I can help you with , oh ya you have a good looking truck
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

That is one nice looking truck. Does the transfer case bolt directly to the end of the transmission, or does it have a short driveshaft between it and the transmission? If it has the driveshaft it is older than 86. I believe this changed in the early 70s. Does it have disc brakes on the front? If so it is a later model front axle, if not it could be 69 to early 70's.
1969 Adventurer W100

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nfury8 »

I was able to get a hold of a 83 Factory Service Manual and determine that it has the 208 case. It does also have disc brakes, which look near identical to the pair I pulled off of a 73 Fury. Unfortunatley, I am realizing the job was only half done. The rear parking brakes aren't hooked up, the cables are 6 inches to short. The rear springs are setting on blocks! :banghead

I have a 71 Factory Service Manual on the way, so hopefully between the 83 and 71 books I can sort it out. I am all ears about all the options for a true power steering converion!! And also suppliers of springs and shocks for this truck. I want to do it right!

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

The "W" trucks had blocks in the rear from the factory. It appears to me that Dodge used the same springs and hangers as the 2WD trucks with blocks to level the truck out. Before 1980 Dodge had full time 4WD and the front axles were disc brakes with no provision for hubs. 1985 and later had CAD (central axle disconnect). It looks to me that your front axle is a 1980 thru 1984 which are the only years Dodge had hubs with disc brakes. 1980 is also when the NP208 showed up.

Very nice truck! You should be proud of it. That bumper and grill look perfect, and the rest seems in really nice shape.

Later.....Don

P.S. More pics please?

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

More info and pics

Post by nfury8 »

The front axle has the Warn Lock-Outs on it, forgot about that. There is some strange stuff going on with the front. The Steering gear box is on the inside of the frame, and attaches to a shock absorber looking piston that connects to the drag link with a couple U-clamps. But then there is also what seems to be a shock absorber, connected with more U-Bolts, between the drag link and Axle. This seems like all it would do is stiffin the steering. The clamps are a new looking Gold color. Then the power assist piston is on the outside of the frame and connects to the back side of the spindle and drag link and tie rods are on the front of the axle. There is no Front sway bar.

Now, more pictures!

ImageImage
ImageImage

The interior is supposed to be all original, with the exception of some legendary seat covers and aftermarket gauges. The carpet looks new, but is supposed to be original.

ImageImage
ImageImage

This is on the 2nd day I owned it, towing my 4000# 69 Fury and a 2000# trailer effortlessly, but with some serious sag! The car is going in for some serious body work, which is one reason I decided to buy the truck, to have another project while waiting on the car.