carb help please

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
vin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: usa
State: NY

carb help please

Post by vin »

68 w200 with a 318 but I believe the engine is a 78...

I was just trying to find a carb rebuild kit using numbers from the side because while it does seem to run good, it hesitates a bit sometimes.

But looking online I'm thinking maybe this isn't the right carb. Is it from the slant 6 my vin says it would have come with? Is it way too small for a 318? I know that most came with a 2bbl but I don't know if they were bigger.

Anyway, does it look right and where can I find the right rebuild kit?

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wales
State: ME

Re: carb help please

Post by Noelie84 »

If it's out of a late 70's truck, it's probably a 285CFM BBD. The Super Six and the 318 from that era used the same Carter 2BBL (but with different plates?), if I'm not mistaken.

As far as being 'enough' carb for the 318...
In the late 70's manufacturers were focused on fuel economy, not power. 285CFM is probably sufficient for putzing around town, dump/hardware store runs, etc, but upping your CFM (within reason) with a bigger carb would improve your power, without having a huge impact on your economy (if you keep your foot out of it). FWIW, my 318 has a 600CFM Rochester 4BBL on it, but 90% of the time it's running on just the two primaries and is pretending to be a 2BBL. The only time the secondaries kick in is if I go past about half pedal because I want listen to the pipes and the intake roar (and convert the $20 in my wallet into exhaust fumes). If I keep my foot out of it I can average around 15 or so with mixed driving, but if I feel like playing boy racer I'm looking at closer to 10 :joker

For a rebuild kit...
If you're reasonably certain that it came out of a late 70's truck, http://www.rockauto.com/ has an all-inclusive rebuild kit for a Carter 2BBL for about $20.
1969 D100 w/an A833 & a 318
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)

vin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: usa
State: NY

Post by vin »

Thanks for the help. The manual for my year truck lists carter BBS, but after your suggestion that it might be a BBD I am pretty sure it is from looking at pics of carbs and kits. Ordered a kit, fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wales
State: ME

Post by Noelie84 »

BBS = Ball & Ball / Single. One Barrel Carb
BBD= Ball & Ball / Double Two Barrel Carb

Basically, if you've got one barrel it's a BBS. If you've got two, it's a BBD.
1969 D100 w/an A833 & a 318
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Get a 2bbl to 2bbl adapter plate and run a better carburetor. Get one with an electric choke, as the manifold heat stove choke part is made of unobtainium... at least for small blocks. The big block version is available, but works "backwards" to a small block version. And the in manifold choke off a GM 265-350, while it looks the same, is not the same.

I'm partial to the big Holley/Autolite units off FE Ford big blocks. But the Rochester off a GM product works alright too.

FWIW, I have a good, clean, manual choke 1974 spec BBD on my 69, with a new fuel pump, and the only way it starts is to pour gas down the carb, cover the carb top with my hand, and get someone else to crank the engine over. :censored The one barrel carbs on my 218 and 230 L6 Plymouth engines are even worse.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...