Kickdown linkage

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Re: Kickdown linkage

Post by POWWAG »

If you had the tranny cooler lines plugged off the lack of flow was probably starving something to do with the upshift. I believe the kickdown has something to do with the same. There is also an adjustment for the kickdown on the side of the tranny that I believe preloads a valve. I am not a tranny tech so further investigation is in order.

The ball joint on mine appears to thread in and out on the rod. We need to find a factory carb to see the geometry of the throttle arm. Then I could add to mine and you can confirm the hole in your add on is the correct distance from the throttle shaft.

Don

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

The linkage from the carb to the trans is what the trans uses to raise the line pressure in conjunction with the amount of throttle you are inputting. The amount of throw at the carb must be approximately the same as it is at the trans or the correlation between throttle opening and line boost will not be correct. At full throttle, the arm at the trans must be all the way toward the back of the trans. Leaving a small amount of play between the sliding linkage at the carb and the stud on the carb will let the carb reach full throttle. Either system will work ok, although the bellcrank style does not deflect like the one piece one can.

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by POWWAG »

marklein wrote:The linkage from the carb to the trans is what the trans uses to raise the line pressure in conjunction with the amount of throttle you are inputting. The amount of throw at the carb must be approximately the same as it is at the trans or the correlation between throttle opening and line boost will not be correct. At full throttle, the arm at the trans must be all the way toward the back of the trans. Leaving a small amount of play between the sliding linkage at the carb and the stud on the carb will let the carb reach full throttle. Either system will work ok, although the bellcrank style does not deflect like the one piece one can.
All of that agrees with my understanding, so why the slot on the fixed kickdown? The kickdown in my rat truck has the fixed linkage off the throttle cable pin and the previous owner put a spring on it rendering the slot inoperative. Full throttle does deflect the rod to the tranny slightly.

Spdcrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: homer
State: AK

Post by Spdcrazy »

great info. and perfect timing. put a afb on my 318 and it doesn't have a kickdown hole for my rod style. need to find a way to fab one i take it?

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by POWWAG »

So I can steal my own thread, right? On the rat truck the slotted piece is about 4" long, it and the rod to the tranny meet at a common point on a pivot. On a 77 Power Wagon I use to mud race (440/727) with simular kickdown linkage and I had replaced the slotted piece with an adjustable rod thus allowing me to move upshift points (RPMs). The rat is a 360/727 and I want to 1/8 mile drag this thing and it is shifting way late. I have to back out of the throttle to get it to upshift when I'm doing test hits. Here is a pic of the 46 Dodge rat.

Don
Attachments
100_0525.jpg

Spdcrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Spdcrazy »

sorry i didn't mean to steal your thread.

great looking rat by the way

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

There is supposed to be a return spring on the linkage. It usually runs from the top of the bellcrank to the carb, #4 in the pic, thus returning the linkage as the throttle is reduced. I am not sure why they used a slotted piece at the carb, makes it easier to get on and off , and without the slot I think it would make the adjustment harder, as the slotted piece is normally threaded. Never drive a torqueflite without the linkage hooked up and adjusted properly, damage will result.
kickdownlinkagelever.jpg

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by POWWAG »

Spdcrazy wrote:sorry i didn't mean to steal your thread.

No theft, no worry! Do you have the carb that came off of your truck?

Don

Spdcrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Spdcrazy »

POWWAG wrote:

Don
yes sir.

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by POWWAG »

Spdcrazy wrote:
POWWAG wrote:

Don
yes sir.

2 barrel? Sell it? Willing to ship?
PM me

Don