Kickdown linkage

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Kickdown linkage

Post by POWWAG »

I just got a 68 D100 318 auto and the kickdown rod is not hooked to the carburetor. It's a replacement carb and there appears to be no place to connect it (manual trans carb). Can someone post a pic of the factory set up?

Thanks...Don

DavidWymore
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: El Centro (of nowhere)
State: CA

Re: Kickdown linkage

Post by DavidWymore »

I could use a pic too. Someone welded a tab on my carb linkage for the kickdown, and I don't think it's right.

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno
State: NV

Post by Oldguy »

This is the linkage on my 318 2 bbl. I'm replacing this engine so haven't cleaned it up at all. :lol: :lol: Mike
MVC-003F.JPG
MVC-004F.JPG

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Oldguy wrote:This is the linkage on my 318 2 bbl. I'm replacing this engine so haven't cleaned it up at all. :lol: :lol: Mike
As you can see in Oldguy's pictures the only real difference between a manual carb and auto carb is that little pin device that is easy to install. That pin has been used on MOPARS for a very(60's/70's/ 80's) long time. Big Block or Small Block , doesn't matter.

DavidWymore
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by DavidWymore »

I have one of the pins I can install, but the linkage isn't slotted at the top like that one is. I wonder if the linkage from my big block 727 is the same as a small block 727?

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

BB and SB are different but you may be able to use the upper rod and modify. Post a picture of what you have.

Roxyflash
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Moline
State: IL

Post by Roxyflash »

I had a 318 auto in a 69 it had a pivot mounted on the back of the drivers side head my 1970 383 uses a one piece kick down i do believe i have the 318 one in the shed but would have to look this weekend for it.

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by POWWAG »

It sounds like DavidWymore and I are running into the same issue so here's some pix of mine for reference.

Don
Attachments
68 kickdown b.jpg
68 kickdown a.jpg

DavidWymore
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by DavidWymore »

Mine looks like Don's, except someone welded a tab to the carb linkage to attach the kickdown rod. It is the 318 with the pivot on the back of the head. Mine works, but shifts too soon and doesn't kick down. '68 engine and trans, '70 truck. Throttle cable attachment is my homebrew...hey, it works, need to align it little better. Thinking I might just redo the kickdown bracketry to make it adjustable. Or maybe it adjusts at the trans...? Need to stick my head under there.

It would appear there might be two different setups at the carb, slotted and fixed? Now that Kim mentioned it, I remember my '77 440 being a one piece slotted rod.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

Their is a number of different styles of kick down linkage used over the years. The bell crank style that was used on the lifestyle trucks with BB and SB and in A body Mopars is very adaptable to 2 bbl and 4 bbl as that style linkage is very adjustable and easy to modify. Davids truck has definitely got the unfortunate M n M look. David, If you could get a correct throttle cable bracket and carb then you would probably be able to clean up your mess. Does it have adjustment points further down the linkage. If so good.

Don , Your truck must be a 68 n older by the throttle linkage and that style with an automatic I am not as familiar with. But it can be sorted out with some patience.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

A '68 would have the three piece mechanical kick-down.
There's a pic in the parts book.

Which carb do you have Don?..... BBD or Stromberg?
John

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by POWWAG »

It's the Carter.

Don

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by POWWAG »

Like DUH! I found my 67 FSM and looked it up, guess what there were pix (posted). DavidWymore's is right just needs adjusted.

Don
Attachments
Kickdown b.jpg
Kickdown a.jpg

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

My 69 has the slotted type rod end. Manual trans 1974 carb. Has been unhooked since AT LEAST 2006 w/o any reliability or shifting issues. Including a cross country move pulling a horse trailer. Upshifts are firm, downshifts are subtle but complete (not so subtle if you floor board the throttle, it drops a gear and launches like a 16 inch naval shell). Linkage just sitting on the intake where it won't snag and bind up. Really need to remove and toss it...

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by POWWAG »

On previous TF727 equipped trucks the linkage was like the slotted but no slot. The longer or shorter you made it it changed the up/down shift. From shifting early and soft like a New yorker or holds a gear longer and bangs the next gear like a drag car. This is the first I have dealt with that has the pivot and functions off the opposite side of the butterfly shaft.

Don

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

If I had an automatic truck 68 and older the first thing I would do is to convert to the later cable throttle style linkage used from 69 and later or adapt one from a suitable Mopar vehicle. This would allow the use of (for example) the 72 to 78 bell crank style linkage used in the trucks for BB and SB motors. Lots of adjustment in the linkage and easy to adapt to 4 bbl if its 2 bbl linkage. One piece kick down style is not as adaptable and finicky to make work if its been tweaked at all. And may hit firewall.
Last edited by dodgeboykim on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

What cable? My 69 is all rods.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

Meant the cable style throttle that was used 69 to 71 in pick ups and other MOPAR vehicles. some more suitable than others. . Edited my post.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

Oh, that's all rods and a bell crank or something too on mine. I'll have to look again and see how it is all hooked up. I might have a 69 body with an older pedal and fuel rod assembly. Old farm beater, who knows what was hodge podge cobble jobbed to keep it going before it became mine.... :lol:

DavidWymore
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by DavidWymore »

I don't see any adjustment in mine besides modifying it. Am I missing something?

When I first put the truck together, it shifted early and soft 1-2, early, soft, with some slop in the 2-3 shift. I installed a trans cooler and now it shifts hard and late 1-2 and just right 2-3...I think I may have other issues.