Clutch replacement ?

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Clutch replacement ?

Post by Hewy »

New year new project, got to change the clutch.
It is grabbing and getting a little stiffer to shift from gear to gear.
I have to deliberately slip it in first to get the truck moving and keep it from chattering.
The truck is a 64 D100 with a Poly and 3 speed column shift.
As I have never replaced one before, I wanted to know the steps I need
to take. .....:idea.... :study.....help :lol:

Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Clutch replacement ?

Post by Hewy »

:thinking...... Is it recommended to pull out the transmission first ?
Is there an illustration of the clutch assembly available ?

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Hewy wrote: Is it recommended to pull out the transmission first ?
Yep , Pull the trans first and you can drop the clutch out the bottom of the bell housing. Sounds to be an easy job with the 3 speed trans. Much lighter than a 4 speed.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Hewy,

Let me just say (sorry) that this was my least favorite, most hated job to date while working on a car. It helps to have a 2nd pair of hands when realigning the input shaft. I nearly crushed myself a few times with the trans, and in anger I even managed to score a brand new pilot bushing. :banghead

Check out page 5 of my build thread. There is not mutch input but I do have a few pics. I got the NP435 trans seal kit from Cobra. I would recommend putting at least the front seal in while you have the trans out.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=18881&hilit=replac ... h&start=80

definitely have the flywheel resurfaced while it is apart as well.

I found this thread where I posted links to other threads:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30933&p=224147&hil ... ch#p224147

Lastly, good luck and be SAFE!

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

Hewy, I replaced the clutch on my '67 shorty a 745 3 speed/tree. Much easier then the np435 ...less weight and not dealing with the shift tower.
It's a 2 man job especially for us old farts. :lol: 4 jacks stands, 2 good floor jacks. Complete cultch (pressure plate,disc,pilot bearing, release bearing from HR clutch) local shop to resurface the flywheel.I rebuilt the shift mechanism and grommets while it was apart.Trans was in good shape seal wise and the inside looked good . new u-joints. Remove the hump cover and you can take the shift levers ,speedo connections,etc, from inside the cab. Put it on 4 jack stands as high as possible and safe. Removed the drive shaft at the rear and slid it out ( oh yes,drain the trans.) Remove the slave spring and tension.Remove the 4 trans bolts (support/strap trans to a good flat surface floor jack).You might have to twist the trans. back and forth some to un -seat. Make sure the floor jack is high enough to keep the trans level and tension off the input shaft as you slide the trans back. Had some trouble with the rear cross member blocking somewhat. That required the extra set of hads to help maneuver it out.Clutch assembly can be removed from the dust cover area and rear bell opening. Be extra careful removing the heavy flywheel ( I put a piece of plywood and an old thick sofa cushion on the ground below and let it drop. :lol:. Installation in reverse.Be sure to lubricate the pilot bushing. Hope this helps and that I didn't leave out anything important.....if i did, please chime-in..Chris.

Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Hewy »

Thanks for the tips and advice on safety cautions I have pulled trannys before but not the Dodge.
And to you Chris, a special Old Farts' greeting :salut
To clarify my transmission 3 speed side shift top loader, it is a A903 correct ?
First things first I need to get a front brake drum replaced, that is is an easy job.
See Parts Wanted section.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Txas2step »

Hewy, your trans. should be a A745.....is the e-brake on the rear of the trans.? Chris.

Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Hewy »

Txas2step wrote:Hewy, your trans. should be a A745.....is the e-brake on the rear of the trans.? Chris.
Brake drum is on rear. A745 it is. :Thumbsup

FerarriTruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: pasadena, ca

Post by FerarriTruck »

hewy im having a guy out in Riverside build me a modified clutch. will have a little more pressure and grab then stock and hes gunna do it for $180. Im getting it in a week, let you know how it comes out.

Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Hewy »

FerarriTruck wrote:hewy im having a guy out in Riverside build me a modified clutch. will have a little more pressure and grab then stock and hes gunna do it for $180. Im getting it in a week, let you know how it comes out.
Did you check out sources for stock replacement parts before the modified one ?
I'm getting ready in about April/May, to start digging into mine

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Txas2step »

Hewy, now that you are keeping the truck, maybe consider a scarebird conversion for the front......make pulling that good looking trailer a bit easier. :2cents

68fish
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: uniontown
State: OH

Post by 68fish »

The NP 420 4 speed is really straight forward, no brainer to put disc in. The worse part of the entire job for me was taking out all the interior. Bench seat, floor mat, and the tranny hump needs to come out. Only 4 bolts holds the whole tranny to the bell housing. Its a 2 man job from there. One operates the jack while the other guides it out and keeps it from falling off the jack.

FerarriTruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: pasadena, ca

Post by FerarriTruck »

Hewy wrote:
FerarriTruck wrote:hewy im having a guy out in Riverside build me a modified clutch. will have a little more pressure and grab then stock and hes gunna do it for $180. Im getting it in a week, let you know how it comes out.
Did you check out sources for stock replacement parts before the modified one ?
I'm getting ready in about April/May, to start digging into mine

yeah i did. no store had it availble and i did not want to spend alot of money for the hr clutch...