rear main seal advice

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
68fish
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: uniontown
State: OH

rear main seal advice

Post by 68fish »

Well, my freshly built 360 is leaking oil after only 3 months of use. Its getting on the clutch and giving me clutch chatter. Leaking enough to come out of the weep hole of the flywheel inspection cover. After dropping the trans and removing the flywheel, I can see the oil coming out of the seal onto the crank.

Is there any good anti leak rear main seal out there that is recommended. Its a 360 so that means 2 piece rear main. Im hoping there is no scratch or other problem that is making it leak.

Any tips in getting the old one out.

Thanks
68 fish

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Re: rear main seal advice

Post by mopardwh »

I literally just did this an hour ago on my 360 mag. I removed the rear cap and loosened another before it would move. Then it came right out. Make sure you clean everything really well and push the new seal against the crank as you slide it around so it doesn't catch and start to shave against the block. Or better yet, ask the guy that just built the Dang thing if he is gonna warranty his work? :pale

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Re: rear main seal advice

Post by wally426ci »

Yep, the old seal should slide out and the new slide in. Face the flat side of the seal toward the "oil" side. :Thumbsup