Adding power brakes 225 equipped..DONE!

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
gearjammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: pittsfield
State: MA

Adding power brakes 225 equipped..DONE!

Post by gearjammer »

I'm almost afraid to start yet another Power Brake thread...please pardon me...

I've read a couple [3-4] power brake threads but none seem to address my need..

My 71 is a slant six, automatic. That said...I should have tons of room for a booster right? Keeping the 4 wheel drum, just want to ease pedal effort a bit.

Not being a mopar guy, can you suggest something that will interface with the firewall, and master cylinder. Or even a booster-m/c combo. I'm thinking maybe a early 70's Duster...Charger...Fury???

Thanks.
Last edited by gearjammer on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: adding power braks 225 equipped

Post by dodgeboykim »

I used an A Body Dart booster 30 years ago in my 66W100. Still in it. Had to custom fabricate the arm from the brake pedal to the booster adapter. Still working to this day.

F6866
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Morgantown, WV

Post by F6866 »

71' s were available wth power brakes, I had my booster rebuilt by Prior reman in Texas. They had some boosters in stock then that was 3 years ago.
Prior to rebuilding I searched for a new one and had a hard time locating anything that just wasn't real generic.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

gearjammer wrote:I'm almost afraid to start yet another Power Brake thread...please pardon me...

I've read a couple [3-4] power brake threads but none seem to address my need..

My 71 is a slant six, automatic. That said...I should have tons of room for a booster right? Keeping the 4 wheel drum, just want to ease pedal effort a bit.

Not being a mopar guy, can you suggest something that will interface with the firewall, and master cylinder. Or even a booster-m/c combo. I'm thinking maybe a early 70's Duster...Charger...Fury???

Thanks.
Try doing a forum search for posts from Russ Ashley. He added a power brake
booster to a '69 W100. :idea
John

MrMopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lompoc
State: CA

Post by MrMopar »

This question answers itself, the 71 was available with power brakes.
Track down the parts that are different, linkage etc and buy a rebuilt booster/master (for a 71 Dodge Truck) from your local parts store.
As soon as you start trying to do something custom you are opening doors for problems.

Alan

gearjammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by gearjammer »

I'm a thinking...no local parts store is going to have availability on that part...

Think a 70 camper special booster is going to be close?

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

A 70 Camper Special should work, my only concern would be the push rod that goes from the brake pedal to master cylinder. Jim

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by robertob »

Make sure you get the standoffs/brackets and pushrod with the booster and it should be a bolt-in deal. I know from looking at the junkyard that the 1969 up booster is different (bracket/linkage) is different than 1968 down. For mine I just found a '68 booster on ebay and had it rebuilt for my '68.

gearjammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by gearjammer »

I just picked up a booster off a 70 Camper Special. Coming in the mail so I don't really know what I've got yet....

LC
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by LC »

LC from PA I have a 1971 D-100 Slant 6 factory power brakes if you need any info PM and I will check my truck to see how things are hooked up IT Brakes Alot better than manual :study :study :salut :salut LC

gearjammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Adding power brakes 225 equipped..DONE!

Post by gearjammer »

I purchased a Booster off ebay. Seller said it was off a 70 Camper special...all I had to go on. Got it today and it couldn't have been any easier to install. Had to drill 4 holes in the firewall that matched the bolt pattern of the booster. Very easy as there are four factory indentation in the firewall from the factory already there.

The master cylinder was a direct bolt on. [four bolt pattern on mine, I guess some have a two bolt pattern.]

The rod to the pedal is already on the booster and was perfect fit. Original MC had studs where it was mounted to the firewall...Popped those out and the studs on the booster were a perfect match. Found a vacuum port and everything was golden. Just a very short test drive around the yard and so far so good.

the number 18268 is stamped on the front side of the booster under the M/C. I googled that number and it seems like it's similar to a 1970 Challenger. So I guess if you have a 1971 as I do, with a 4 bolt flange on the M/C, a 70 Challenger Booster may be a good place to start.Image

Roxyflash
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Moline
State: IL

Re: Adding power brakes 225 equipped..DONE!

Post by Roxyflash »

Great deal i too need to get some power brakes on my 66 d200 first thing is the powersteering its a must have my legs are stronger then my arms LOL