clutch peddle not returning fast enough

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
68fish
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: uniontown
State: OH

clutch peddle not returning fast enough

Post by 68fish »

I know this is a common question but here it is again. My clutch comes back after being pressed, but slower than it should. Makes it tricky to drive. The weird thing is Ive tried various different springs at the slave cylinder and nothing seems to help it. I would think the spring at the slave cylinder is the bigest party of the system that pushes the clutch back. I evern took the slave cylinder spring off and it felt the same!!! I tried tightening the overcenter spring under the dash and no big change. I put a new clutch master cylinder in it just 500 miles ago. One difference is I am running silicone fluid now. I know it doenst have air in the lines, I pressure bled it twice.

Any other things I can check???

Thanks

Fish
65 D100 NP 420

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Re: clutch peddle not returning fast enough

Post by wally426ci »

Did you bleed the slave too?

I made sure to bang the piston all the way out to the end and then pour fluid in until full. After that, I pressed the piston by hand and got all of the bubbles out..... The only thing I can say is bleed it again? Did you bench bleed it? You can do that in the truck as well..... :study

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn
State: CA

Post by PowerMan »

You might need to pull off the pedals and clean rod and the little needle bearings in the clutch pedal. Had that happen before. Might be your problem...

68fish
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 68fish »

I think the needle bearing at the peddle is my best bet for now. I bled the whold system under pressure, twice. There is NO air in this system. Due to the fact that a stronger spring at the slave cyl, doesnt make a difference, I bet my needle bearings are a little crusty. This will be my winter project. I want to do burn outs!!!!!

Look for pics of my truck soon!!!

Ron'
'

68fish
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 68fish »

IDEA,

I can take master cyl off fire wall and unhook from peddle then just simply see if peddle moves freely without any friction. Sound good?? If prob. is in the bearings, I would see this when moving peddle freely without pushing master cyl.

I still dont see why a bigger spring wouldnt make a change at slave cyl. I have a STRONG spring on it now and no good. Peddle cant keep up with my foot when I let out the clutch semi fast. Yuck.

four speed fish