Three on the tree Linkage bushings/grommets/pins...ect....

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
64TRUK
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Portland
State: OR

Three on the tree Linkage bushings/grommets/pins...ect....

Post by 64TRUK »

Its been awhile since Ive logged on so Cheers to you all.

and now for the guts, can anyone steer me in a direction to find replacement parts for my linkage on my three on the tree.
all the arms are good I just need to replace the rubber grommets the washers and pins that attach it to the transmission levers.
Im not looking for used, Im looking for new. Im sure I could spend some time digging around at the hardware store and get a few of the items, but it would be nice if these
parts are sold as a kit. ???????????????????????????????????
Dave

F6866
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Morgantown, WV

Re: Three on the tree Linkage bushings/grommets/pins...ect..

Post by F6866 »

I don't know about a kit, but I went to the local Lowes and after some measuring and sorting replaced everything with brass bushings and proper size washers and pins. It tightened up nicely.

64TRUK
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 64TRUK »

That sounds like the option. I am in hopes to find the rubber grommets, mine are pretty much gone, and without them there is way to much play, putting excessive strain on all the other components.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

when i did mine i went to the local speed shop and bought the spacers for electric fans. they are a very hard heat resistant nylon spacer. the center hole was perfect for the shift rods, so i put a bolt thru it with a nut and chucked it up in my drill. then clamped it to the table, locked the trigger and went after it with a file and some sand paper till i had the proper outside diameter. the spacers were very thick, so i was able to cut one spacer into 3 bushings once the diameter was right. then i used a flat washer on either side and a hurst shifter rebuild kit that i swiped the spring loaded locking pins from. these pins are far superior to cotter pins as they hold tension on the washers to keep it from rattling. one last thing, at the very bottom of the shifter mechanism that is mounted under the hood on the column. look at your bracket the arms sit in, there should be a large wave washer between the end of the bracket and the last shifter arm. my bet is its long gone. that has to be there to keep tension on the shift arms or your selector pin will go between the arms and leave you stuck in gear in traffic. i replaced mine with a series of stacked washers to remove the slack but not be too tight for a smooth shift. that took some trial and error, but when i was done, i could power shift a column. im willing to bet you couldn't do that when they were new...lolol.

rebuilt 3 different columns, even offered a kit at one time that no one was interested in. if you need any help hit me up. it will serve you very well if you have an FSM that shows the break down of the shifter if your gonna tear it down to get the slack out.

64TRUK
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 64TRUK »

Could you post images of the finished project.(wideblock)? I am curious.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

sorry, i never took any pics of it.

stakebed
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: roseburg

Post by stakebed »

You gotta love hardware stores and lowes when it comes to replacing the hard to find stuff on our trucks. I have a brass bushing from the local hardware store that i had to use as part od my steering column bearing cuz i could find no stock replacement

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

i hear that. we have one hardware store and one auto parts store here that have the old dorman box's. every nut bolt and washer you can think of in just about any material you like. came in real handy on my rebuild of the shifter.

shelby
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: san francisco
State: CA

Post by shelby »

Hello enthusiasts!

Please help!

I am reaching out to the community to ask for help with my 1965 Dodge A100 8 door with a slant six, 1bbl holley, electronic ignition, 903 transmission, dual headers, BFG TA, stock! I apologize in advance for being a bit naive and cautious, I am not a pro mechanic but have done all the service so far so I appreciate your input immensely. I have searched Sweptline, A-bodies, and Slant-six, the threads often discuss this column shift linkage issue but no where can i find an description about how to take er apart, where/how to find pieces and replace them. I understand people say just go to the hardware store but I don't even know what I am looking for nor do am I certain I understand the problem. I have access to tools, autozone, napa, and hardware stores.

My questions are about the Three on the tree Linkage bushings/grommets/pins...ect.... I do have the Technical Service Manual and understand how to adjust the linkage, I believe my question is about the pieces under the steering column in the column shift linakge and how to replace them.

Perhaps this thread can serve others as well to document the steps to tighten er up.

The car shifted perfectly until one day a week ago it started to jam up. Now my daily driver is no longer drivable. I have investigated and Yes the spring washer at the bottom of the steering column is broken, it's not obvious that other pieces are broken though it may also require other pieces if I take it apart.

1) How do you remove the column shift linkage, do I remove the steering column and then the pieces fall to the ground? I do not know how to replace the spring washer?

2) Often people mention rubber bushings, I see no rubber bushings anywhere in the linkage?

Please note in detail any pieces you think I need to replace and note any known dimensions or possible solutions. Any help is very much appreciate to get me back on the road.

Here is the van, she is very fresh feeling for an old timer, fun, fast and economical as well as great for around town shopping or camping in the wilderness. She is running perfectly.

For anyone interested here is the motor.

Here is the manual diagram of the 903 tranny shift linkage and the broken spring washer, note there are no rubber pieces nor part numbers or instructions to remove the linkage.

Here is a photo of my linkage cleaned up with grease removed to see the condition.

I have a deteriorated transmission access rubber cover, replacement ideas?

F6866
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by F6866 »

Based on the diagram from the FSM and the picture of your linkage it appears to me that the spring washer is either broken or gone, and the bottom bushing is completely gone. Without the bottom bushing both vertical and horizontal play are too great for the linkage to function.
I don't know if you could find the proper bushing but you could take it apart and try to find a flanged bushing to fit or have one machined to fit.

shelby
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by shelby »

Hey thanks 6866,

Here is the complete diagram from the FSM, which shows the bottom section, spring washer and a cupped washer to hold the spring, but no bushing at the bottom, there is a bushing at the top.

The broken spring washer is placed in this photo to show it's size and location.

Since this isn't turning at high speed, and doesn't turn 360, it seems I could use just about anything to replace the spring washer, such as teflon, plastic, metal, though I will look for a metal spring washer to reduce the slack.

To remove this linkage section section do I remove the bolts for the U-Joint and let it fall down? Or do you have to remove the steering column and pull up?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

For ease of repair, I would suggest removing the entire
steering column and working from your bench....
especially if your back "seizes up" like mine after
hunching over something for a period of time. :lol:
John :2cents

JohnB
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gainesville
State: FL

Post by JohnB »

Shelby,
The spring washer is called a "wave spring washer". These guys will have what you need if you know the dimensions: http://www.precspec.com/

F6866
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by F6866 »

Hi

Perhaps I am seeing something wrong, but upon looking at the picture the assembly within the bracket has dropped down so that the entire assembly is moving around in the bracket, it appears that this could be corrected by the "wave spring washer" or a shim of some kind. The other item that i see as a problem is at the bottom of the bracket where the shaft goes through the hole, there appears to be an excess amount of play and the hole is much bigger than the shaft, so it appears to me that it needs a bushing although it may be that the bottom hole of the shaft is wallowed out.
I see a problem shifting when there is play anywhere in that assembly.
I hope that my explanation is on track, however you are right there looking at it in real life.

shelby
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by shelby »

It does appear that the U bracket has moved out of alignment. I'll adjust it, along with replacing the spring washer. I am somewhat remote, out of the US, where mail does not come, but I'll make the rounds today to find a spring washer and tear in to it, (I hope that whole thing doesn't fall to pieces) I appreciate the general comments which give me some ideas of what is there and what to look for. Thanks