warm up questions

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
rd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: chico ca

warm up questions

Post by rd200 »

I have two 65 trucks. One is a d200 and the other is a d100. They both have the exact set up 318. stromburg carb, exact air cleaners and are on the points system and each have newly rebuilt carburators. The only difference is the d200 has duel exhaust. The d200 uses a little choke just to start it and then off it goes. The d100 on the other hand seems to be very cold blooded. I have to drive about a mile with half choke when it is around 35 degrees or so to maintain power and then slowly push the choke in as I drive. Once it is past that it rips down the road. In the summer no choke is needed and it rips even when cold. As it gets colder it seems to be getting worse. What could be done to decrease the warm up time on the d100. Could the duel exhaust be causing it to warm up slow. They both have recent tune ups. How ever the coil on the d100 has an unknown installation date.

any suggestions within reason will be tried.

Thanks.....

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: warm up questions

Post by 712edf »

I'm confused! You say the D200 has dual exhaust & by your describtion that trucks warms up quicker. Then you ask, "what could be done to decrease the warm up time on the D100, could the dual exhaust be causing it to warm up slow?"

Which truck has the dual exhaust? The one that warms up slower?

I'm wondering about the thermostat or any coolant flow differences between the two trucks.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

dakotadave
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: west fargo
State: ND

Post by dakotadave »

intake exhaust passage gucked up? happens on chevies all the time, not so sure about dodges; mine was gucked up bad though - solid carbon if i remember right. i think that stupid exhaust manifold valve gets stuck and forces too much exhaust through the passage all the time and carbons up in there. never seen one gucked up without that valve. i replaced the intake on my 318 with a weiand (love weiand intakes, ran them on my chevy too) and i highly recommend that intake with an edelbrock carb!

rd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: chico ca

Post by rd200 »

You are right the statement should have read Could the duel exhaust cause the d200 to warm up faster... I started the d100 this morning and let it idle for about 10 mins. It was about 40 degrees. It then ran strong with no problems. My D200 on the other hand requires no warm up. The d200 has about 210,000 miles on it the D100 has 82,000 miles on it. I might just have to accept that in the cold, the choke is going to have to be used longer...

BrowneBlue
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BrowneBlue »

I have a D200 with the 318 and 2 barrel Stomberg. I have single exhaust. I have been fighting a warm-up issue, as well. I'm not sure why the choke usage varies. I once had a 1947 C***y Fleetmaster that would start real easy, no matter what the weather, and required very little to know choke.
Anyway, I am thinking about pulling the intake manifold and seeing if the passages are blocked for the exhaust gas. Then I'm going to put the stock exhaust manifolds back on so that one of them will have the valve. I think this should solve things. I rely on my truck year-round and I need it to run no matter what the temp. Beyond that I don't know what else could be done other than a good tune-up, idle mixture set, and engine idle properly set. Scott

junior
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: san bernardino
State: CA

Post by junior »

My 65 valiant was cold blooded,would stall in the middle of intersections during morning rush traffic on cold ,foggy mornings as if on purpose. I moved the timing a little.just a hair and it improved a lot.Hope it helps.

asf93555
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ridgecrest
State: CA

Post by asf93555 »

The D100 (single exhaust) allows / causes the intake to warm manifold to warm up faster (heat crossover). A carburetor actually is designed to operate within a certain temperature range for good drivability.

The D200 (duel exhaust) allows the free flow exhaust to avoid the heat cross over ( may not have a heat riser either ) and therefore the intake manifold takes longer to heat up to its best operating temperature.

We have all been schooled that a colder, denser air / gas mixture makes the best power - when you got your foot to the floor and your going balls to the wall.

But for day-to-day drivability, the engineer's designed the engines to operate best with a certain air / fuel mixture temperature (density). That's why we have heated air intakes off the exhaust manifolds but under full throttle, a vacuum powered valve opens the cold, fresh air door.

Remember the old dodge air grabber hoods ?

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

Water Pump, Thermostat, and timing all can have an effect, but if it doesn't have over heat
issues, then the pump is probably fine.

Not sure how it would effect warm up time, but I can see how the higher mileage motor
would start easier. How does the oil pressure compare between them? The 400 in my
71 is a well worn engine, the oil pressure drops to only a few pounds at idle once warmed
up. It has great pressure when cold or when driving. The bearings are quite worn in it
and has very little resistance. So while it may have low pressure, it spins like a dream
when starting and the cold weather doesn't bother it at all.
71 D100 Adventurer SE - PowerWagon conversion
70 W200 CrewCab - Urban Assault Kiddie Hauler
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Pro Touring Machine
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Beater, Hiding in a cave

BlackJaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Tuscaloosa
State: AL

Post by BlackJaw »

I had the same problem on my 66 d100. Thought it might be the carbon buildup so I tried a couple of cans of seafoam. Worked great, truck now starts right up with very little choke. It used to take about 10 minutes of running the choke pretty high. The directions are on the can, but essentially pull the choke about halfway and pour half a can right into your carb. Then once half a can is gone pour the rest of the can into the carb (killing the engine). Let it sit for 5-10 min and start it up. A word of advice though, make sure all of your windows are closed, dog is put in the house, kids are inside, wife is not watching and your tailpipe is pointed at your least favorite neighbors house. The amount of smoke that comes out is incredible. Probably kills every mosquito within a mile. Hope this helps.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

:lol: