Front axle

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
ducman

Front axle

Post by ducman »

OK guys, I have a '66 with a '78 Chev Dana 44, disc brake front axle. The problem is the rotation of the axle tubes. To get proper caster so it will go down the road, the pinion angle is WAY too steep. If I bring the pinion angle up I go into negative caster and it's a "white knuckle" ride down the road. Any ideas other than pressing out the axle tubes, rotating them and re-assembly? (the fee to do this is around $500.00 not including pulling the R&P assy.)

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

The front pinion angle can be pretty steep.Does your driveshaft and pinion yoke touch when you jack the truck off the ground by the bumper (or frame)? If they don't,its not to steep.What size u joint are you running?1310? You can get a steeper angle with the bigger 1410. The only other option is to drop the transfer case. :pale

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

First question is- are we dealing with 3/4T stuff here?

I'd can that bowtie junk and find a 80-84 Dodge axle, they had hubs with disc brakes. Spring anchor pin to pin is the same as our trucks (chebby's are not).

I bought that year chebby K20 new (I was 20 and we all do stupid things in our youth)and they run a CV joint in the front drive line to compensate. They also had reverse arc springs in the front so who knows if the spring pads are level with the pinion.

I got a 81 Dodge D44F out of a wrecking yard for $300.00, way cheaper than making that bowtie slag work for you.

Don

ducman

front axle

Post by ducman »

I have moved the shakle to the rear of the front springs in order to get more caster so when I jack up the frame it elongates the slip yoke. I am running the max driveshaft angle without clearance issues with the u-joints. I'm not sure if I have the larger u-joints or not, I'll check.

ducman

front axle

Post by ducman »

I hear what your saying PowWag, I am just trying to make work what I have if I can. I think the Chev axle is also a bit wider as well but it is what I got when I got the truck. It started life as a 2wd but was converted with Mopar 4wd and an attempt at disc brakes, hence the Chev axle.

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by POWWAG »

I hear ya on the "work with what ya got"! With the price
of fuel nowadays we can't throw money away.

The Chebby is 1" different than the Dodge anchor pin to pin,
and I can't remember which way (on purpose).

So let me get my head wrapped around this. When the caster
is right the pinion is pointing at the ground?

Without running a CV joint your yoke center lines are to be
parallel. On the front you want to set it up with the pinion
slightly up for spring wrap under torque.

Don

ducman

Front Axle

Post by ducman »

POWWAG, you seem to be "the man" in the know on this front axle stuff. Your suggestion on the 80-84 Dodge setup has got me thinking in that direction. The Cheb 44 is disc brake, hubs, 8 lug 3/4T. I am guessing that I would need to find a Mopar 80-84 3/4T to keep the 8 lug, disc setup. Would that be a Dana 44 or 60?. I like the idea of a beefier axle but if it were the 44 I could use my existing R&P. I also like the idea that it would solve my main problem (I think) and that is caster and pinion angle along with proper width and spring pad pin alignment. The Cheb is about 1" wider and the axle is about 1" wider on each side pushing the wheels out a bit. Is the Mopar passanger side knuckle machineable for crossover steering like the Cheb?? Thanks for your help! Where is Maple Valley? I am in Portland, Or.

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by POWWAG »

Maple Valley is about 25mi SW of Seattle. Can you get me a pic of what's been
done to your right side knuckle and I'll compare it to me 81 Dodge D44F in the
garage. I've only seen cross over steering on D60Fs before. I'd like to know more
about doing it to 44s. Drive line should bolt right up being 44 to 44.

Don

ducman

front axle

Post by ducman »

I have not done this yet but it is VERY common with the Bow Tie boys. The top of the knuckle is machined flat just like on the drivers side, then drilled and tapped for studs (usually around $100.)then a steering arm is bolted on, fab up a longer link from the box to the arm and no more push/pull or bump steer! I think any 4WD shop will know all about this. Is the Dana 44F a 8lug? (is the "F" a specific configuration?)

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

I think the "F" stands for front.
1969 Adventurer W100

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by POWWAG »

Russ is correct the "F" stands for front. The 44 comes in many bolt patterns,
but I consider half ton 4X4s just grocery getters. The one I have is 8 lug.

Don

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

POWWAG wrote:Russ is correct the "F" stands for front. The 44 comes in many bolt patterns,
but I consider half ton 4X4s just grocery getters. The one I have is 8 lug.

Don
Don,

My brother likes to say that 1/2 tons are OK for little kids on the flat. :lol: I tend to agree with him.:salut Not often he is right though. :lol:
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by POWWAG »

I realize I've probably offended a bunch of members with W100s like Russ (who's truck is beautifully restored and preserved.) I'm 48 now and the beard is turning white, so I'm going to settle into being an opinionated old red neck. I tend to overload my trucks and put way too big a tire on them.

Don

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

POWWAG wrote:I realize I've probably offended a bunch of members with W100s like Russ (who's truck is beautifully restored and preserved.) I'm 48 now and the beard is turning white, so I'm going to settle into being an opinionated old red neck. I tend to overload my trucks and put way too big a tire on them.

Don
No offense taken, Don. I recognize a little good natured ribbing when I hear it.:lol: My truck is like me, semi-retired, so it won't be seeing any mud or hard work, but don't count all W100's as sissies. My first W100 was a 67 model and it was pretty stout. I think it was actually a W200 in disguise.
I'm 65 so 48 is still just a kid to me.:lol:
1969 Adventurer W100

ducman

front axle

Post by ducman »

So is there a diffrence in the D44 front axle between 1/2 and 3/4 other than the spring pack?

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

The axle shafts are different. One is a 5 (or 6) lug and the other is eight lugs. They might use bigger bearings and other internals too.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Guys,
Lets not lump all 1/2 tons together.Like Russ already stated the 1/2 ton dodge ,up to 68 had the same axels,drivelines and springs as the 3/4 tons. They just had a shorter wheel base.

Doug

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by POWWAG »

Jonas-who hangs out on powerwagonadvertiser.com says anything less
than a one ton is for the women folk to haul pies to church socials.

I had one of those 8 lug W100s (Ex-forest service truck) years ago, and you
can hardly call those a half ton. Wish I had that truck back now.

I'm going to take my 440 powered W200 pie hauler and go home with my
tail between my legs.

Don

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

:lol: Good one Don. My wife was even rolling!