This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
mousecat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Modesto
State: CA

My '61 Ute

Post by mousecat »

Well, next month will mark 2 years since I brought the beautiful :joker truck home.
The day she came home.
The day she came home.
It's been a SLOW process, but there is progress being made!

After a year of it just sitting, I finally got the time, and a little money to start playing!

Have the Scarebird kit on the front,
Stops on a dime!
Stops on a dime!
got a donor truck and pulled and rebuild the 318,
Just a few pieces.
Just a few pieces.
it's now in and running, ALL new brakes, front, back, and parking.

Everything under the hood is pretty much new...brake master, clutch master, clutch slave, alternator, fuel pump, plugs, cap, and rotor. Starter and radiator, were taken in and rebuilt, cleaned, and patched.

Fuel tank was removed over the weekend and taken in to get flushed and coated, and the exhaust was put on yesterday, might I say, two center dump Flow Masters sound AWESOME!!!

I am looking forward to "driving" her within the next month, if all goes well. She's no show truck, but the reality of the accomplishment is sinking in and I couldn't be happier!

Not sure if I've put this out before or not, but my obsession, with these trucks start many years ago, my son and I were driving down the road in a family business repo truck, he was about 7 at the time, and we saw a 61 Ute on the side of the road in Tucson, AZ with a For Sale sign on it.

Talked the guy into a 500 price tag and started with all the plans in the world for a "father-son" project! Business was so slow, we had no money to work on it, then business was so good, we had no time. Then business went away, completely! Long story short, we moved back to California, and the truck(s) stayed in Arizona.

Then the worst thing in the world, at the ripe age of 18 our son took some cold medicine because he wasn't feeling good, not knowing there was Codeine in the meds. My wife, daughter and son all have an allergy to Codeine. He stopped breathing that night, and we lost him. A few years later, I was thinking about him, and the "project" and jumped on Craigslist, did a search and up pops the 61 Ute, that looks like the exact same truck. It's not the same, but the price was right and the memory is always there.

Needless to say, the end result isn't exactly what I'm after with this old girl, but the process is extremely important! Every time I walk into the garage, I feel him right behind me, asking what we get to do today!
Hopefully he gets to look down and smile every time something new gets added, or done on this truck that was to be his! :thinking
Still "looks" the same.
Still "looks" the same.
Truck32.jpg (34.78 KiB) Viewed 480 times
Sorry this went on so long, just couldn't seem to stop myself!

I'll get some new pictures up soon, but the computer decided to take a break I guess, not moving to good?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: My '61 Ute

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Tnx for sharing the story :Thumbsup
Road King - nice!

mousecat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Modesto

Post by mousecat »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:Tnx for sharing the story :Thumbsup
Road King - nice!

Road King brought me to work today, going to be a Great ride home today, Best weather we've had in a long time!!

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Oklahoma
State: OK

Post by cudajimmy »

Great and tragic story my friend. I hope you find comfort and solice with the memory of your son and that beaut of a ute will keep him alive in you for years to come.
69 Barracuda Notchback 440
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto
65 36' Chris Craft Constellation

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

Yes I remember your past reference to your son. God bless. I'm sure he is proud of your progress on this "father- son " build. You really need to put this in the Build thread. Great job! :Thumbsup Chris.
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

She's no show truck, but the reality of the accomplishment is sinking in and I couldn't be happier!
That's the story of each Sweptline I've patched back together. Feeling good is good enough! :Thumbsup
I couldn't think of a better way that you could have paid tribute to your son. :Thumbsup :clap
John

JunkyardKustoms
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Travis AFB

Post by JunkyardKustoms »

Black Swepty.jpg
Looking Good! Keep up the good work.It's the journey, not the destination. My wife wants me to find a Utiline bed for our soon-to-be D200. But I would only do it if I chopped the frame to a SWB.
I love this one in black. Always was a sucker for a stepside!